Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator swaps? Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 06:48 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Doug has it sorted.

UPGRADE your earths, engine, etc. If in doubt add a few more. That usually keeps the Prince of Darkness well at bay.

Any alternator is only as good as the earth circuit.
Originally Posted by yarpos
I like the idea of upgrading the main battery and earth cables, but I like that even if you dont upgrade you alternator. My main power cables are about twice as thick as stock battery cables (not my work BTW, but happy to see it there when I first saw it)
I have upgraded the earth from body to engine with 24V cable from a bus along with another 8mm positive cable from the alternator to the battery as well as retaining the **** weak factory set up.
As Grant says, never too many earths.

Alternator swaps? Upgrades?-dsc_7807.jpgAlternator swaps? Upgrades?-dsc_7808.jpgAlternator swaps? Upgrades?-dsc_7811.jpgAlternator swaps? Upgrades?-dsc_7812.jpgAlternator swaps? Upgrades?-dsc_7813.jpg

Old 07-13-2016, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Nice work, visually and electricaly!!!

I am not at Grant's pay grade on these cars, by a long shot. But, I am ambivalent as to multiple ground paths. One solid path for all would be
ideal in my limited understanding. Use of the chassis would be out. All loads would go back to battery -.

My "lump" has an array of relays. I removed the original and added an expanded rack for them. I created a ground bus bar. All but one ground legs go to this bar. It in turn is connected to the same bolt on the wing wall as battery -.

The exception s the neutral safety switch. Chassis grounded in the console. I should have brought it back into the engine bay and to the
ground bus!!!

Sidebar:

7" outboard light project on the way, sorta. Found retaining rings and added buckets on Ebay. Won the auction. Only bid, me!!
But, will use, unless I ruin them, a pair of spare 5"+ bezels, ground out to accept the 7's.

Son thinks I'm losing it. "Yeah, son, it began in 2001, when your mom and I bought the Jaguar!".

Carl

Old 07-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by yarpos
I am puzzled by this thread. Not sure why fitting a decent alternator can ever be a negative thing.
Nor is it a positive if the standard unit is properly sized. The extra capacity will never be called upon, so it's wasted time and money.

Old 07-13-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 10,309 Likes on 6,819 Posts

I agree of sort.

When my 75 amp died, I had it rebuilt. No internet etc in those days.

It did as designed, but really struggled in summer with the a/c on, and night diving lights on.

I did the earths, better, but still not as I believed it should be.

Found the 110amp XJ40 unit, and it cost less than the Lucas rebuild a few years prior, and it is a Bosch, so parts are plentiful.

Engine driven fan parted company, and vented via the bonnet. BUGGA. My belief is the hub siezed and spun that fan at revs it was never designed to spin at. Engine speed was 4200++ at the time, I was in a hurry, and had been at those revs for hours.

Efans fitted, and never looked back.

We get asked at work regularly for alternators for all sorts of cars, and sometimes the higher amp unit is the same, or cheaper, than the "correct" unit, so a no brainer for most customers.

I would, and have, always opt for better if it was available at little or no $$ penalty.

Like reduction starters for V12's, smaller, lighter, more efficient, less battery drainage, and half the cost of attempting to rebuild the installed monster, IF you could get parts for that thing. Last reduction starter I got was the same price as the Bendix drive alone for the monster.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 07-13-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Recent experience with starters on my lump.

1. Smaller, lighter and new. Malaysian made???

2. ACDelco. Tough, used by GM and others. Non GR and bulky and heavy. Rebuilt. No longer available new.

Pricing similar. First option cranks my SBC healthily and was a whole lot easier to install. Son says it won't last????

I dimly recall that my 4.2 had a Motorola unit. Our 71 AMC "Hornet" 232 CI six (really a Rambler) also ad a Motorola. Each seemed fine.
Output, I don't know.

Agree, more amps for the same price, no brainer...

Carl

Old 07-13-2016, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

I took Nix to town today against my better judgement because it was over 100F, and she Definitely will be getting E-fans at the first opportunity. Her cool-as-a-cucumber nature gets Really hot under the collar with the AC on sitting in traffic. I only wanted to make sure.

I know some of this is my own fault because cooling was "OK" to begin with but I put a square foot of trans cooler out front of the condenser, and a bug screen over the whole radiator further impeding the free flow of air. I knew it would have some effect but I hadn't counted on that much.

Husband has the fans already, but they specify an 80 amp minimum alternator. As I needed a new alt anyway he upgraded to 94A.

I have been caught with a dead battery, car had an undersized alternator that flattened the battery eventually being driven at night in town at low revs. In the middle of the night far from home I had a dead battery! I have no desire to find myself in that position again, and I'm confident with this charging configuration I won't, even with the addition of E-fans.

Additional cost was negligible and as mentioned, it needed changed anyway. Then too, I like a bit of over-kill.
(';')

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-13-2016)
Old 07-13-2016, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member

Elinor:

I think you will be more than pleased with the Efans. I sure am.

Next time you get caught in traffic on hot days and the curious temperature guage begins to worry you, pop the hood/bonnet.
It allows hot air to exit the engine bay and allow "cooler" air to enter.

Another is to drive in a lower gear. Mechanical fan turns faster, water pump as well. It works in most critters.

Juice out exceeds juice in: Rev it up!!

Circa 1949, three kids decided to become entrepreneurs. Christmas approaching in El Paso, Texas. John and I and another kid decided to go to New Mexico and get Christmas trees. Spot them with my employer and a former employer on consignment. Gas stations.
Transport. My 37 Ford and a trailer we found and beefed up. Really high sideboards!! Bought chopping rights for a load. Fifty bucks. To this day, I am not really sure the seller had any right to 'em!!!

Got dark as we got it loaded with as many as we could. Back roads,
gravel, no signs or lights. Used low and second gear to get some "light" on the road. 6v battery, old wires and a generator not so good. Oh, oh, gas about out and we well away from any gas station.
Spotted a light off to one side. Pulled in, careful to park down hill. Might not have cranking juice. Rancher most hospitable. "All I've got is tractor gas". We gladly accepted a five gallon "jerry" can. refused payment and offered super. We declined, time is a wasting....

Ford fired up and we came into a town and got some more gas to make sure.

There's more to the trip for another day...

Gas station guys very pleased. Fresh cut beat most commercial sources. We mad a few $'s.

Next year we did it again. Larger scale. Bought a circa 41 Ford 1 1/2 ton flat bed from a junk yard. Another tale for another day. tire and fuel issue there!!!

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Grant Francis (07-14-2016), LnrB (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 06:55 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

JagCad and LnrB

Both of these problems (efficient engine cooling and low engine speed e fan operation) were anticipated on my XJ6 when I added the V8 and the additional "cooling items" requirements, trans cooler, condenser. rad, e fans.

The Delco CS130 alt starts charging at low rpm and the louvers I installed, solves the engine compartment high heat temps at low vehicle speed (traffic jams on hot days) now there is a way for the trapped engine compartment heat to exit under those conditions.

Attached Thumbnails Alternator swaps? Upgrades?-louvers-looking-good.jpg   Alternator swaps? Upgrades?-clear-coat-17.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by alynmurray:
Grant Francis (07-14-2016), LnrB (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

Alyn, your louvers intrigued me first time I saw them! What a Great idea! I Like them!

However.

It's quite obvious the hood must be removed, cut, louvers pasted in (welded, filled etc.) and repainted. See, that's the problem. Repainting.

Nix is painted with REAL paint, not this water based (insert favorite derogatory noun) we're forced to use now. I have not seen a modern black car that's REALLY black. They're merely a really dark gray, green or blue.

She also has about 6 or 8 coats of clear, PO was not specific, although, as proud of it as he was, there is a Lot of clear. I seriously doubt that could be duplicated with the paint technology available in California in 2016.

Had the above not been the case she would have got louvers over the past year when all the other work was done and the hood was off for so long.
(';')

Old 07-14-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

Elinor you think like I should. It's good, don't mess with it. I try,
but often just charge....

I dimly recall a shop in Petaluma could do nice louvres. But,
does the punch have deep enough throat to accept a Jaguar bonnet,
I don't know. And a catch tray to deal with the occasional rain we see?

Coats of whatever? Way back when, a friend operated a collision shop. Super nice paint jobs also doe there. Their specialty was "baked enamel". Many bragged about numerous coats of nitro cellulous lacquer to get the deep colors. Ward opined that was hype. Just lots of thinner going on to the air. what counted was the thickness of the material deposited. And that thicker wasn't good either. I forgot the mils he described as optimum. So, you think your PO was of the former "school" or had been sold the idea ?

What does count is that NIX has a gorgeous paint job, however applied.

As to water based? Not sure on that. The local Miracle shop claims mastery. They've been there a log time and have a good reputation. Way back when, laid down a gorgeous red on son's 73 Ranchero with Squire trim. Not exactly a young guy's ideal. Sold to a CHP who wanted to give it to his dad. Better. I was tempted...

A few months ago, an obviously brand new Passat sedan in gorgeous black parked along side at Rite Aid. The VW scam had just been exposed. I admired his car. "not diesel l hope". Answer, "it is".
Bought just before the reveal!! But, he not alarmed. great fuel mileage and that it would probably work out.

Point, painted in Germany, so not in water base ? And, other that repaints, any new cars painted in CA? Only TESLA in nearby Fremont.

Ford, Toyota and GM run out by our nanny state.... Sad, lots of good jobs left as well..

Carl;

LnrB (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 10:10 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

LnrB, Thanks for vote of confidence Re: louvers-I think they add a bit of panache, as well as added functionality.
The louvers themselves are from a 1979 - 81 Camaro z28. DId a lot of searching and finally found these ,..knew they were just right fo this app. They are GM factory units with retaining brackets.
Yes I took advantage of the fact I was doing a bare metal respray and had the car down to metal ... all over.(wish I had deleted the side running lights and put something smaller in their place with LED lighting at the same time)
Louvers are functional as I tested them by attaching a bunch of wool tuffs to the hood behind the louver opening and going for a short drive.
Gives the car a bit of personality not too garrish and blend in -do not catch the eye and you only notice them after looking at the car for awhile.

Attached Thumbnails Alternator swaps? Upgrades?-starting-rain-damn-.jpg   Alternator swaps? Upgrades?-just-painted-color-coat.jpg   Alternator swaps? Upgrades?-mvc-008fs.jpg   Alternator swaps? Upgrades?-z28louver.jpg  
LnrB (07-14-2016)