XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boot Opening Problem Daimler 4.2 (or Jag XJ6) Series 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boot Opening Problem Daimler 4.2 (or Jag XJ6) Series 3

Just bought a Daimler 4.2 Vanden Plas. 1983 Series 3.

When I got it home the boot (trunk) wont open however the dealer did open and close it easily at the garage.

The key turns left and right perfectly to open or lock the boot release 'button'.

However pressing the button itself has no resistance and does not open the boot.

The door key and the interior lock works the central locking mechanism for all 4 doors. Does anyone know if this car should have an automatic/electric boot release too? (I also have an XJS where the central locking also opens the boot mechanism)

I took off the number plate and there is a small hole in the centre perhaps I can use? That said I have no idea what the lock looks like inside or indeed its position! (see photos of my particular car)

I also removed the back seats however there does not seem to any access from here (see photo)

The boot contains numerous items including the user manual, history file, registration documents etc. so I need to get in there asap.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Richard.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

In my similar car, two motionsd are needed to open the boot.

1. Turn the key. Unlocks the boot. It may or may not be locked.

2.There is a latch operating lever just under the plinth. Press upwards and it should
"pop" open.

Merely another Jag mystery. Although the hatch in my Jeep needs two motions. It just is more visible.

3. Pop from the cabin? Not resolved by me in either of my cars!!!

Carl

Old 12-12-2016, 10:42 AM

Thanks Carl. By the plinth do you mean the latch shown in my second photo, if so, it doesn't work.

Or do you mean something else?

Thanks again

Old 12-12-2016, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member

Oh, oh, That is the latch release!!!

1. Why does it not work, or does it as designed !!

A. Locked via valet protection ? Unlock with another key? Not what one would surrender to a valet

B. Revisit needed:

1. Dealer for instruction!!

2. Owner's manual for same.

Carl

Old 12-12-2016, 02:19 PM

Carl, tried each of the numerous keys, (see photo) but no luck. I suspect the mechanism has broken. I wonder can you send me a photo or two of yours so I can see what it looks like? As mentioned the user manual is in the boot. I saw something else on the net suggesting I cut the Which might be the valet key?
metal behind the number plate? Lastly the dealer not being a Jaguar one knows less than I do!

​​

Old 12-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Another bit of Jaguar eccentricity concerning the boot: The boot will lock when the doors are locked via the central locking system BUT after unlocking the doors remotely, the boot always remains locked and has to be opened with the key. The key has a very short throw - left to unlock, then pull the hidden catch underneath. If the catch won't shift when unlocked you'll find it useful to search previous threads in here advising how to access the inner mechanism, there have been several past postings on this.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

you need to try and access the vertical rod that pulls the mechanism through one of the square holes shown in the picture above where the license plate is mounted.

since your car is European, the license plate frame or "area" is different from USA cars, but the principle and the mechanism is the same, i.e., you need to find the Rod using 90 degree needle nose pliers and pull it up. See picture. There is no access through the rear seat or anywhere else.

There is no "valet" key in 1983 Jaguars, unless you give a key to the valet.

the electronic solenoid only locks the boot / trunk, it does not unlock it, at least it does not in the 1983 Jaguar XJ-6 or even the Vanden Plas models of the same year.

Attached Thumbnails Boot Opening Problem Daimler 4.2 (or Jag XJ6) Series 3-xj-trunk-linkage-rod.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 12-12-2016 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:07 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Here is how I open the lock on my 1985 NA spec Jaguar. The holes to screw in your license plate in your car might be in another spot but this is what you need to do [see attached drawing. ]

When you do get it open, search down in the boot for a screw, I bet it fell off and that is why the latch is not working.

Attached Thumbnails Boot Opening Problem Daimler 4.2 (or Jag XJ6) Series 3-trunk.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
BeckBeck (11-06-2021)
Old 12-12-2016, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

There was usually a hole covered by the number plate that gave access to the locking rod.You have such a hole, but I think you maybe need to see inside with a torch. I never had to release a boot lock mechanism, so I'm only passing on what I heard years ago. The hole was normally covered with a grommet.

Jaguar normally provided a "get-out" for failed locks and latches.As an example if you can't release the bonnet there are two grommet-covered holes one each side and very high up on the inner wing where you can engage a screwdriver and work the latch. They are normally covered with body schutz.

Old 12-14-2016, 03:25 AM

This afternoon I got the boot open!

The solution was a combination of the advice each of you gave.

1. Behind the number plate there is a hole in the centre, plugged with a rubber grommet. Removing this makes the hole about twice the size of a pencil. (See my previous Photo 1)

2. Put in a screwdriver and simply push to the left and the lid pops open.

3. The push rod had come adrift of the mechanism. From Jose's supplied photo below its holding circlip looks like it was installed backwards. So I prised off the clip, adjusted its tension and refitted it. Also there are 7 drilled holes in the plate. You need to insert the rod into hole '5'. And thats it. A simple fix in the end

Thanks all for your help and a Merry Xmas!

Daimler 4.2 Vanden Plas (European) 1983 Boot Release Mechanism

The following users liked this post:
Jose (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

excellent!! Merry Christmas to you too!!

Old 12-14-2016, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member

Perfect!!!

All of us have learned.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL !!!

Carl

Old 12-14-2016, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Pleased to be of help, and have my knowledge of this "trick" confirmed correct as I have never done it.