XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bucket List for 86 XJ6 S3

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 09:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bucket List for 86 XJ6 S3

Last year I spent a small fortune replacing my S3s rear brake rotors and calipers, but it needed the work and is fine. Now that winter approaches, I have another bucket list to finish up before the snow flies.

1) Repair Clang/Clunk in front end. Probably shock bushings AND stabilizer bar bushings.
2) Make Speedometer more reliable. Currently it works more or less depending on temperature. The colder it is, the better the time it works. The pickup seems OK, but it is intermittent and maddening.
3) Get Cruise Control Working. Bellows look good and system doesn't work even when speedometer is working properly.
4) Determine what in hell goes on with heater...it alternately blows hot or cold air, semi depending on thermostat setting. On AUTO mode it runs the gamut of full heat to full cold air.
5) Fix Air conditioner. Not sure of problem. The compressor sounds like it turns on when the air/fan is switched on, but no cold inside or out. Maybe needs freon? I wouldn't think the compressor would kick on with low freon, but maybe the compressor isn't fully turning or engaging. Food for thought.
6) Determine why small box (resistor?) on side of ignition coil smokes, although it works fine. Slight smoke, nothing too alarming...more of a wisp.
7) Windshield wiper washer has quit.
8) Needs tune up...starting to missfire on cold/damp mornings until it warms up a bit. Current plugs/wires/etc were last changed in 98.

I'm sure there is a few things I have forgotten. Sheesh! If anyone has any suggestions on any of the issues, feel free to chime in!
On a side note...can someone provide a typical Horsepower figure for an 86XJ S3? My car doesn't have astonishing acceleration or power, but it is my 1st Jag and I'm not sure how much power it should have. Judging by the "feel", I'd be surprised if I am seeing 200 HP. I know the cars are heavy but some of the local hills require full throttle in 1st gear. It doesn't seem to be missing or running rough, just a lack of power. Perhaps the tuneup will resolve this. Maybe time for a Pertronix system?

Jim -Excedrin headache 86

Last edited by jmarkitell; 11-02-2013 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-03-2013, 12:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by jmarkitell
1) Repair Clang/Clunk in front end. Probably shock bushings AND stabilizer bar bushings.

Right, good places to start

2) Make Speedometer more reliable. Currently it works more or less depending on temperature. The colder it is, the better the time it works. The pickup seems OK, but it is intermittent and maddening.

In most cases it IS the transducer, about $100

3) Get Cruise Control Working. Bellows look good and system doesn't work even when speedometer is working properly.

The bellows looking good isn't very conclusive. And di you check the fuse and vacuum supply hose?

4) Determine what in hell goes on with heater...it alternately blows hot or cold air, semi depending on thermostat setting. On AUTO mode it runs the gamut of full heat to full cold air.

Most likely the amplifier but the "could be" list is a bit long

5) Fix Air conditioner. Not sure of problem. The compressor sounds like it turns on when the air/fan is switched on, but no cold inside or out. Maybe needs freon? I wouldn't think the compressor would kick on with low freon, but maybe the compressor isn't fully turning or engaging. Food for thought.

Lo freon is a good guess. Have the pressures professionally checked. Might also be related to a faulty amplifier. When you select max cooling does the air come out of the center vent in the dash?

6) Determine why small box (resistor?) on side of ignition coil smokes, although it works fine. Slight smoke, nothing too alarming...more of a wisp.

Resistor, yes. Most likely has oil or grease on it. The coil might be leaking

7) Windshield wiper washer has quit.

Does the pump run when you press the button?

On a side note...can someone provide a typical Horsepower figure for an 86XJ S3?

170 SAE Net

Cheers
DD

Old 11-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

Check the bushes at the top end of the suspension as they come through the inner wing! When they perish they really do clonk!!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:39 PM

Hi Doug, Thanks for the input. The wiper washers worked up to a few months ago, but now the pump doesn't run. The fuse is good but I didn't check to see if it was getting power or not.
I'm going to order a Pertronix ignitor system, which seem to have favorable reviews, as well as replacing wires, plugs, and the coil. The coil brings up the next question...my current system has a block resistor mounted along the coil to step voltage down during normal running, sparing points etc from excessive sparking. If I switch to the Pertronix ignitor and coil, do I still need the step down resistor or does the ignitor do away with the need for it? I don't think my current setup has points...I assume it is probably a magnetic pickup/point less system, so I don't know why it has the resistor if there aren't any points to burn out.
In any event, I'm looking forward to ordering these ASAP along with some bushings for the shock/strut towers and bases. Thanks for any and all help.

Jim 86 XJ6

Old 11-05-2013, 10:52 PM
Veteran Member

You don't have points, no. You have "Lucas CEI"-- Constant Energy Ignition

As for the resistor I'd follow the instructions that come with the Pertronix kit but I very much doubt that it requires the resistor. Not all the cars used a resistor to begin with... and those that DO have one will run perfectly well without it. More than a few have ended up in the bin

Cheers
DD

Old 11-06-2013, 10:53 AM

I think I already know the answer to this, but want to make sure before I spend $100 on something I don't need. If I go ahead with the Pertronix ignitor system, I wouldn't really need the ignitor unit for inside the distributor cap, since it already has the Lucas unit inside. I sould be OK with just the coil, correct? The ballast resistor is another matter...

Jim

Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not a authority here so hopefully others will chime in, but.....

My understanding is that Pertronix offers a conversion kit that replaces the existing Lucas pick-up module (inside the distributor) and existing amplifier (bolted to the front of the intake manifold).

OR......

They also offer a complete replacement distributor...which also replaces the existing pick-up module and amplifier.

Your remark about being "OK with just the coil" has me a bit confused, as I don't think either version of the Pertronix ignition includes a coil.
Let's wait for others who know more to chime in

Cheers
DD

Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 PM

I think I am combining too many eggs for a small basket. I saw a thread earlier about upgrading their existing ignition with a Pertronix ignitor system. The thread also mentioned the Pertronix coil, known/marketed as a "Flame Thrower II". I'm assuming that a contact-less ignition system is pretty happy with whatever coil feeds it. The ignitor is a replacement either for the existing Lucas system (electronic ignition/point-less) or a point based system. I originally thought they were two parts that were needed for proper functioning instead of two components, with the ignitor not being needed in my circumstance due to electronic ignition.
Now, my updated tune up simply consists of a new coil (Flame Thrower II), OEM wires, premium cap, and Champion non resistor plugs. I'm hoping I haven't overlooked anything or made an erroneous assumption along the line. If anyone sees anything obvious, don't be bashful about giving me a kick in the ****!

Jim

Old 11-08-2013, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

@ Jim

Having done the "full" Petronix conversion, I would really recommend you go the whole way and do the coil and the dizzy. This makes it a much simpler job, although obviously it adds to the cost. When I took my old distributor out I noticed there was quite a bit of play on the shaft....... maybe this masn't causing any issues but I felt a whole lot better when the new one dropped in and there was no play on it. Changing out the distributor is a 10 minute job on the cars

I got my coil and the dizzy from Amazon for <$200. The car really runs better with them. I didn't do partitioning tests so I can't say it runs 40% better with only the coil compared to 100% better with the full thing.

On the windscreen washer pump...... mine never worked since I got the car. I bought a very generic one from one of the online parts places (Partstrain I think) for $20. I removed the old one (It's attached to the front panel on the left hand side of the radiator on my car) and tie wrapped the new one to something nearby and we were good to go.

Please post any progress you make with your cruise control. Mine was working when I got the car, but it's not anymore, so thats on my current bucket list, along with upgrading the sound system without cutting holes in anything

Last edited by Sarc; 11-08-2013 at 01:32 PM.