XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can solve the problem of overheat by replacing twin pans?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by mmac867
after 30 minutes of idling. coolant temp is about 96 degrees. coolant temperatures continue to rise after 30 minutes.

In and of itself 96ºC is nothing to be particularly concerned about. By no means is that dangerously high.

Will the temp keep increasing with no end in sight? Or will it increase and then stabilize?

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-04-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 03:41 AM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
The clutch with the large central bolt isn't a thermal clutch, as you have discovered. It is designed to be engaged (with some slippage) until xxx-RPM is reached....at which point it disengages.

The thermal clutch is meant to be be virtually disengaged until xxx-temperature is reached....at which point it should engage firmly.

A later fan with thermal clutch might help, yes.

Cheers
DD
THANK YOU Doug, I clean forgot we were dealing with the Toquatrol style hubs, my BAD, sorry guys.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The clutch with the large central bolt isn't a thermal clutch, as you have discovered. It is designed to be engaged (with some slippage) until xxx-RPM is reached....at which point it disengages.

The thermal clutch is meant to be be virtually disengaged until xxx-temperature is reached....at which point it should engage firmly.

A later fan with thermal clutch might help, yes.

Cheers
DD

You mean, MY clutch doesn't react to the heat. I didn't know that.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by David84XJ6

I've thought of electronic fans too.

but I decided not to because I think there are more disadvantages than advantages.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:37 AM

In and of itself 96ºC is nothing to be particularly concerned about. By no means is that dangerously high.

Will the temp keep increasing with no end in sight? Or will it increase and then stabilize?

Cheers
DD

It went up to about 105 degrees and I turned off the engine.

I think the temperature keeps increasing,

Old 07-12-2019, 04:03 PM
Received 341 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by mmac867
I've thought of electronic fans too.

but I decided not to because I think there are more disadvantages than advantages.
Electric fans have full/max performance at idle. Your test with an external fan makes the case that the basic system has to perform at 100 % to prevent overheating. Some of the fan kits flow in excess of 150% of a stock system at Idle. Some other posts have noted with big fan kits, retrofiring a higher capacity Alternator is desired/required. Some amount of work, but you should not have worry about damaging your engine from overheating in traffic.

I question if a new V12 Jaguar from factory, would be able to idle in Seoul traffic for an hour with out overheating. Engine cooling and passenger heater were always for mild UK weather conditions. W Lyons assumed that the passenger heater output, was based on wearing a topcoat, wool scarf and leather gloves. Traffic jams in London, at 60 degrees with rain, a Jaguar V12 would be happy.

I had an XKE without A/C in Southern California; I wired the OEM Electric fan/relay to an unused switch on dash and used to turn on fans when I anticipated a traffic slow-down. Flushed radiator and change fluid every two years. New water pump with improved impeller for more flow at idle. Still a marginal cooling system in summer months.
Rgds
David

Old 07-13-2019, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by David84XJ6
Electric fans have full/max performance at idle. Your test with an external fan makes the case that the basic system has to perform at 100 % to prevent overheating. Some of the fan kits flow in excess of 150% of a stock system at Idle. Some other posts have noted with big fan kits, retrofiring a higher capacity Alternator is desired/required. Some amount of work, but you should not have worry about damaging your engine from overheating in traffic.

I question if a new V12 Jaguar from factory, would be able to idle in Seoul traffic for an hour with out overheating.

I agree.

But something else is afoot in this case, I think.

MMAC867 is reporting an issue with ambient conditions of just 15ºC (that's just 59ºF). The V12 cooling system shouldn't be over-taxed by that.....although 50 minutes of idling (as mentioned) might well cause a temp increase on any car. My experience with two V12s is that ambient temps have to be a lot higher than that before the system is taxed.

Seems to me that the answer in this case might well be E-fans.....but I also have a slight nagging feeling that making that change might be masking a problem rather than solving it. I dunno.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-13-2019, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I am cheating, well only sorta. Added water and reheated a half depleted mug of coffee.
Taste??

A salient point in this thread is the comment that the engine cools at idle with a shop fan in front!!! That tells me that the Jaguar mechanical fan is not moving enough air.

Two options should fix this:

1. Replace the Jaguar mechanical fa with good one. New may not be good, unfortunately.

2. Remove the mechanical fan and install two high quality e fans with a suitable control.

I favor the latter. They move a lot of air at slow speeds. Shut down when moving.

My lump has two, governed by the PCM. Usually not running. Kick in in slow traffic or idle, but after a whie…

One fan belt no longer needed!!!

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Doug (07-13-2019), Grant Francis (07-13-2019)