XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you help me identify these parts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Can you help me identify these parts?

While the exterior and interior of my car are in great shape, under the hood did not survive so well. The car has had a 305 swapped in so I know some things are not needed but I have a lot of capped off and cut off hoses in here.

First up, these are in the firewall, they obviously had hoses on them once. Any ideas?

Next up this hose runs into the passenger side wheel well to a canister, the other line runs up near my carb and is capped off.

The last one is this line next to the brake lines, I think this is the second fuel tank but it is capped off too, any reason someone would do this?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

Could you back track on the first (firewall) pic, so I can see the context. You imply there is more than one of these. I am assuming it it not a heater hose.

There are two large diameter drains to the heater air intake plenum chamber, but these are moulded so as to prevent the plenum drawing in air via these drains so the interior doesn't get smelly air. Each drain is at left and right of the plenum chamber. Have a look at another XJ to see, or pull of the chrome cover to the plenum and look to see the drains.

The canister is likely to be a fuel vapour collector of some kind which is purged by the intake manifold vacuum.

Regarding the last pic, it is my understanding that there is only a sngle feed from the rear tanks, with a changeover valve in the trunk, so not sure what that pipe is, to be honest.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First pic, broken hose from firewall...
It is just an elbow for the water condensation when you run the air conditioner. You can put any rubber elbow, of a piece of hose there, just to direct the water drops a bit away from the firewall.

The canister picture(s) and hoses, pics 3 and 4:
The car was converted from fuel injection to carburetor. The F.I. models have a vacuum line going from the gas tank, to the canister at the fender, to the intake manifold. This was to hold the tank under a little of vacuum for emission purposes. It is part of the gas tank evaporative control. A closed-loop with non vented gas tanks to the air, but through the intake manifold. In a carbureted engine, I am not sure how it is done... but I assume the hose would go somewhere in the intake manifold, after the butterfly of the carb, where is vacuum... Check/google how it is done in American v8s

Old 05-25-2012, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

That last one...the hose by the brake pipes...I'm thinking that was the fuel return hose for the fuel injection

Cheers
DD

Old 05-25-2012, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Canario20
First pic, broken hose from firewall...
It is just an elbow for the water condensation when you run the air conditioner.
Actually....no :-)

The hoses that drain away condensation from the air conditioner evaporator case run thru the floor boards on either side of the transmission tunnel

The hoses on the firewall are drains for the air intake plenum below the grille at the windshield wipers. They're suppose to be elbows pointed downward with a "duck bill" cap at the end...which allows water to drain away but prevent engine fumes from being drawn into the air intake.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Canario20 (05-29-2012)
Old 05-25-2012, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

The hoses on the firewall are drains for the air intake plenum below the grille at the windshield wipers. They're suppose to be elbows pointed downward with a "duck bill" cap at the end...which allows water to drain away but prevent engine fumes from being drawn into the air intake.
Doug has described it better then me. I love that word "duck bill". Note there should be two of these, one each end of the plenum. If these are indeed as you showed them, you will have a very smelly car interior, all hot oil and so on !!

The following users liked this post:
Canario20 (05-29-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!!!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you guys this is very helpful. The drivers side hose was the fuel return, I got under the car and traced it back. That combined with the Hayes Manual confirmed it. My fuel pump has the fuel return capped off.... I will be connecting that to the original fuel return setup later this week. The air drains are interesting. I think I can find some hoses to make those work properly again. The thing in the wheel well was the charcoal canister, but since this car isn't FI anymore, it isn't used.