Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convert Series 1 XJ master cylinder to S3

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Convert Series 1 XJ master cylinder to S3

The MC on the '72 started leaking and the stem inside the reservoir cap was falling apart. Finding a rebuilt MC for a S1 is hard - plus they are very expensive and I do not rebuild them... I had done this conversion to my '71 XJ years back so I was familiar with the process.

I converted this car to a S3 type with the integral reservoir on top.. It is just a bolt on install except for the metric brake line fittings. Since most
places want a core, going to a wrecker is your source of the MC, reservoir, cap and the wiring. Turn in the core to get a rebuilt unit, purchase a
rebuilt "kit" to get the needed gaskets for the bottom of the reservoir (new and rebuilt MC's do not come with these item). A leftover trait from Jaguar!

You then cut the S3 lines and remove one each of the two different sized fittings (why two different sizes???). For those that want to purchase new fittings they are 10MMX1.0 and 12MM by 1.0. Then straighten the tight curved ends on the old lines to cut off the old fittings and leave enough straight line to install the new fitting - when done bend them back to fit - the rear one is a tight bend as it will hit the side on the fender well. Be sure to clean out the inside of the line and file the outer edges all around at a bevel so the you can put on a bubble flare end on each line..be sure to use brake fluid on the tool that makes the flare and enjoy
doing this job with the lines still on the car... using a pipe on the tool helps create enough leverage to make this even possible... a helper works well too!

Fill it up with new fluid and bleed the system completely to get out the old fluid and remove the air... installing the reservoir takes a lot of down
pressure to seat it in the new rubber seals and install the hold down pins.. you have to use/lengthen the lines to the top of the cap as the old ones
just go to the remote reservoir... (or you can use it if you get a MC for a XJS/S3 that has the plastic connectors on top of the MC).

The next time the MC fails you can get parts easily and inexpensively. I added the photo to show how "S3 stock" looking it actually is now...

Attached Thumbnails Convert Series 1 XJ master cylinder to S3-imag1720.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 07-11-2015 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Forgot the photo
Old 09-22-2020, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from a newbie

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
The MC on the '72 started leaking and the stem inside the reservoir cap was falling apart. Finding a rebuilt MC for a S1 is hard - plus they are very expensive and I do not rebuild them... I had done this conversion to my '71 XJ years back so I was familiar with the process.

I converted this car to a S3 type with the integral reservoir on top.. It is just a bolt on install except for the metric brake line fittings. Since most
places want a core, going to a wrecker is your source of the MC, reservoir, cap and the wiring. Turn in the core to get a rebuilt unit, purchase a
rebuilt "kit" to get the needed gaskets for the bottom of the reservoir (new and rebuilt MC's do not come with these item). A leftover trait from Jaguar!

You then cut the S3 lines and remove one each of the two different sized fittings (why two different sizes???). For those that want to purchase new fittings they are 10MMX1.0 and 12MM by 1.0. Then straighten the tight curved ends on the old lines to cut off the old fittings and leave enough straight line to install the new fitting - when done bend them back to fit - the rear one is a tight bend as it will hit the side on the fender well. Be sure to clean out the inside of the line and file the outer edges all around at a bevel so the you can put on a bubble flare end on each line..be sure to use brake fluid on the tool that makes the flare and enjoy
doing this job with the lines still on the car... using a pipe on the tool helps create enough leverage to make this even possible... a helper works well too!

Fill it up with new fluid and bleed the system completely to get out the old fluid and remove the air... installing the reservoir takes a lot of down
pressure to seat it in the new rubber seals and install the hold down pins.. you have to use/lengthen the lines to the top of the cap as the old ones
just go to the remote reservoir... (or you can use it if you get a MC for a XJS/S3 that has the plastic connectors on top of the MC).

The next time the MC fails you can get parts easily and inexpensively. I added the photo to show how "S3 stock" looking it actually is now...

Hello Roger!
My name is Tiago and I am from Portugal.

A friend bought recentely a Xj6 Series 1 (1971) which come working nice except for the brake system which was always a small problem, not breaking as it should, at least since he bought it anyway.

Bought a new master cylinder using the part number of the existing one, installed it, bleeing procedure (done by experienced mechanic) but the problem remains.

As I was reading in this forum the master cylinder changed from series 1 to series 2.
I believe the car was bought with a series 2 cylinder installed. As I said earlier i bought a new cylinder just as the one the car had when was bought (see image attached).

So basically, now we are "stuck" with this series cylinder in a xj6 series 1.

I was wondering if you could giver us some advice, I mean what options do we have on the table here to fix this problem.

Best regards and thank you in advance!

Old 09-25-2020, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

Tiago

Sorry for the delay in answering, but I have been on a long fishing trip. Any of the Jaguar MC should work fine.

I would check/change the rubber brake hoses, all three of them and then change all the fluid (if you have not
done so already) and bleed the brakes. The hoses deteriorate and cause strange/poor braking problems.

Please describe the braking problems you have now...