XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crazy noise when cranking

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 01:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Crazy noise when cranking

This morning i went to start my xj6 series3. It made a crazy noise and didnt crank. I took the key out and retried after about 10 seconds and it started normally and fine. Any ideas? Battery light has been on, alternator, volt regulator, and battery are new.

Old 02-04-2015, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

WAG:

Battery voltage is low. The crazy noise you hear is the chatter of the starter relay.

Or, the solenoid kicks the starter drive and it fails to mesh with the ring gear.

Time for:

1. Jaguar mantra. Clean tighten and lube all the electrics. Don't forget the grounds. big ones at the wing wall and down under from transmission to chassis.

2. Use a VOM to verify both battery voltage at rest and with engine at just above idle.

Carl

Old 02-04-2015, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

if the noise was like a screeching witch, the starter will need attention.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:52 PM

Jose would you say the started will need replaced. Or does it just need some attention and what should i do to it before replacing it?

Old 02-04-2015, 03:54 PM

Have any pics to show where its at, honestly never looked to see where its at?

Old 02-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

ahunt4,

what I meant was that the starter might be going bad, assuming that my description of the noise is what you heard. But I am not saying it is bad, sometimes they do that horrible noise, but it is a sign of aging.

replacing the starter is very difficult, not something to do on a Sunday, you need to work from below with the car on a lift.

the starter is located on the passenger side of the engine, under everything you can see when you open the hood, way down there and above the oil filter assembly, also called the "Oil filter Head".

I'll see if I can find a picture

Old 02-04-2015, 06:08 PM

Okay thank you. It was that nasty screeching noise i heard. It has done it in the past one time and this is the first time it has done it in about a month or two. Does the cold weather have any effect on it?

Old 02-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ahunt4
Any ideas? Battery light has been on, alternator, volt regulator, and battery are new.
I have a lot of ideas. Like, maybe your charging system is not working for starters.

Charge your battery overnight like I said in the separate post last evening.

Keep your issues in a single thread. It saves us having to look for your previous threads to figure out what you have done.

What year is your car? You can post that in a profile or in the thread.

Sorry be be a buzz kill but you are all over the place.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member

yes it could, this cold weather makes belts screech too, so are you sure it wasn't a belt screeching what you heard?

My starter has made that screeching noise once in a blue moon too, so far, I haven't even let the thought of replacing it enter my brain. It's one job I don't want to do and letting someone else do it it's null and void.

another screecher: the Air Pump on top, driver's side of engine, looks like an alternator but it is not, it is the Air Pump, assuming your car still has it, some people remove them, mine still has it.

It's another Delco/GM product, the brand that Carl loves! ha ha! (just kiddin Carl), When these pumps go bad, they "freeze" and make a horrible screeching noise. You can get it replaced at any CarQuest store.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Kontak
I have a lot of ideas. Like, maybe your charging system is not working for starters.
Harbor Freight has a decent multi meter on sale from time to time. I have been to one in Toledo. 2563 S. Reynolds RD. It is not pro quality but is way better then their el-cheap-o ones.

Digital Multimeter - Save on this AC/DC Digital Multimeter

Check your battery at rest with the DC voltage set on 20 V. I can never remember the selection dial markings (AC vs DC) so I just test it on the battery. If you don't get a reading that's the AC range on the dial.

Turn car on and test voltage again.

At rest should be over 12V. Guessing in the cold 12.4-ish if not recently charged. When running over 13.5V even into the lower 14's if no load on the battery (lights, etc).

You need to focus on the charging system and battery. My 77 V12 will sound like a small machine gun when the battery is tired. As I charge it, it will still click but also actually crank (turn) more. Walk away - all night charge - first turn it starts. No odd noises. I can't get it to stay running in the cold. That takes a couple of starts but one thing at a time.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

Jose:

Tisn't the Delco/GM air pump that screeches when they freeze up, it is the belt. Way back when, the GM/Delco air pump on my IHC Scout II froze. Wowee, I was quite away from home. Luckily, it had it's own belt. A whack with a knife and all was well. I left it sans belt for months til SMOG inspection came. Rebuilt at a now defuct parts emporium for 60 bucks. Their shop swapped the pulley with an impact wrench.

I do have one removed from my XJ at the time of the demise of the DOHC. I gave the puilley away to alocal that forgot to remove his when he swapped it in.

I opened mine to see if I could fix it. Not practical with available tools. Interesting construction, though.

Free to anyone for the shipping cost....

Also an XJ6 starter, leftover. Free to a local. Too durn heavy for shipping.

My LT1 has an advanced electric pump.

Jose, naah, I can dish it out, so I can take it as well.

Errands and chores done for the day. Daughter comes later with lunch.

Carl

Old 02-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member

Carl,
there is a guy in California who owns a repair shop for Jaguar starters, alternators, generators and what have you, Lucas or otherwise, in case you ever need repairs.

Star Auto Electric Company - Home

Old 02-05-2015, 01:47 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Take the starter out and clean the bendix and regrease. They often get gunged up with old grease oil and dirt. If that that doesn't work then you are looking at a replacement or rebuilt one.

The following users liked this post:
ahunt4 (03-20-2015)
Old 02-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Veteran Member

Jose:

Thanks.

No need for any of the ones mentioned. But, for others around here, useful information.

Do I suspect that Star can handle most any other genus?

Where is Star?

YUP!

Carl

Old 02-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

they are in Monrovia California, Mike Martinez is the owner.

I'm sure they can repair any brand, import or domestic.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:02 PM

After the noise happening again, its more of a grinding noise than a screech. Sounds like the teeth or something missing when firing up. Any ideas what should be done?

Old 02-07-2015, 09:05 PM

Replace starter? or should something else be done?

Old 02-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Check the flywheel, for worn teeth.

Old 02-07-2015, 10:44 PM

Ok, another question I have is that my car always cranks slow on the first start of the day but will eventually start. Can this kill the starter as its forcing a long time to crank?

Old 02-07-2015, 11:13 PM

Basically whats been going on, my battery light stays on the dash. The car always cranks slower on the first start of the day but each start after it cranks at normal speed. Once in a while I will drive the car and when I crank it later in the day I will hear the grinding noise from the starter but it always starts back up the second attempt no problem. I know it will take some diagnostics but trying to see if its a good possibility if its my battery or starter. Or maybe a loose connection I havnt caught yet. The volts on the dash seem to check fine although in the morning it will reach about 14-15 volts when at about 40mph

Quick Reply: Crazy noise when cranking