XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing a full resto on an 83; have questions, especially about 5-speed stick...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:50 AM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Doing a full resto on an 83; have questions, especially about 5-speed stick...

Hey guys,

From my sig, you can tell this isn't my first rodeo with Jags. I just picked up an 83 XJ6 in dire need of a lot of TLC. But the guy selling it was desperate to find someone who would at least give the car a fair shot, as his father gave it to him.

It's a no-rust car that I picked up for around $800. It runs, but the interior is shot, the rear brakes are ... "theoretical" in nature ... and I've got fuel tank leak issues.

On the other hand, because it's an $800 car, I'm not going to feel bad if I don't return it to showroom condition.

There are several changes that will be taking place with this car, not the least of which will be a double-DIN radio in the dash with a nav unit. I'll post pics of that conversion as we go through it.

But my big question was going to be about the feasibility of converting to a 5-speed manual transmission and keeping the 4.2. I thought I'd stumbled upon a unique idea, then I did a search and found out there are kits available and other people have done the swap.

What I don't have, is the $5000 that one of these kit manufacturers wants. I'm going to be doing this safely, but as inexpensively as I can and still do right by the car. My main question is basically how cheap can this be done for. I'll start there and ask follow-ups after I get some responses. Thanks for advice in advance.

Jess

Old 12-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by JessN16
Hey guys,
It's a no-rust car that I picked up for around $800. It runs, but the interior is shot, the rear brakes are ... "theoretical" in nature ... and I've got fuel tank leak issues.
$800 and no rust is a fantastic deal. The inboard Rear brakes are difficult to get right. Make sure your diff isnt leaking oil on to the brakes and install new diff seals in any case. Oil weeps out of the diff and runs down the rotor contaminates the inboard pads and you loose bakeing effect.

On the other hand, because it's an $800 car, I'm not going to feel bad if I don't return it to showroom condition.

There are several changes that will be taking place with this car, not the least of which will be a double-DIN radio in the dash with a nav unit. I'll post pics
of that conversion as we go through it.
A taditional double din is going to be all but impossible, the hvac air box sits about 2 inches directly behind the information center. Presently the single din radio slips under the air box. You're going to need one with a remote screen and place the head unit elsewhere.

But my big question was going to be about the feasibility of converting to a 5-speed manual transmission and keeping the 4.2. I thought I'd stumbled upon a unique idea, then I did a search and found out there are kits available and other people have done the swap.
Google the 5 speed swap, there is someone who used a getrag unit from an older BMW and it seemed pretty reasonable from my recollection.

What I don't have, is the $5000 that one of these kit manufacturers wants. I'm going to be doing this safely, but as inexpensively as I can and still do right by the car. My main question is basically how cheap can this be done for. I'll start there and ask follow-ups after I get some responses. Thanks for advice in advance.

Jess
How cheap? This wont be an exercise in frugality...more like a labor of love. In any case do your research and you'll save some time and money.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Track down Peter Crespin either thru the JCNA forums or the Jag-Lover forums. He moved from the UK to the States and I think he brought a couple tons of manual transmission "conversion" parts with him. Transmissions, pedal boxes, etc. Plus, he is well versed on the subject.

Not sure about costs but here in the USA just finding the parts is a challenge

Cheers
DD

Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts

I appreciate both posts so far, that's good info.

The stereo conversion may end up looking a bit Frankensteinish but it's going to happen, one way or another. I once managed to get 19 speakers and 6 amps into a Ford Taurus SHO, hide every speaker, added a second battery, still have 75% of my trunk left over and I kept the spare tire.

To give you an idea of what I'm thinking about with the trans, my initial gameplan going in is to have an adapter custom cut to allow me to bolt up a used/rebuilt manual transmission to the existing engine. I know of one company that claims to be able to mate any engine to any transmission (within reason; no 18-wheeler transmissions or somesuch), so what I'm really needing to know is which transmissions will fit in the space under the car. My biggest overall concern there is the pedal box.

This is going to be a long, multi-step process probably taking a couple of years overall. I can afford to go slow but I can't afford to go blank check.

Jess

Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

The key parts are flywheel, bell housing and pedal box.

As to adapters, they are done for one of two places. Engine to bell housing and bell housing to transmission.

Dave Dwomby posted on Jag lovers. he took apart an assembly that was based on an automastic bell housing that had beeen cut and welded to accept a manual transmission. Mustang as I recall. Great narrative and phota's would help you envisage what is entailed.

And, a fellow in nearby Marin Couty, memory fails me as to a name. modified an auto pedal box to accept a clutch pedal. Drilling cutting and bending parts, I think.

You may wish to consider a hydraulic throwout bearing as a means of eliminating mechanical linkage.

And, if you can access a Jaguar block in th open and the bell hopusing that fits your transmission of choice, you just might come up with a pattern for a plate that allows mating the two.

Alignment is key to getting a combination that functions smoothly.

Probably not a simple process. Unless, you can get the OEM part storeplicate the factory method.

As the BW is not a small box, there should be room for some of the 5 or even perhaps a 6 speed tranny.

Or...

Carl

Old 12-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I drive a '71 XJ6 that has had a Toyota Supra 5 speed manual with short shift kit put into it. Works a treat. Was originally an auto and the short shift kit has meant to original auto ski slope was able to be retained without modification. Neat job and if you didn't know otherwise you'd never realise it wasn't originally a manual.