Sponsored by:

E-Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default E-Brake Problems

Hi guys,

1984 Jaguar Xj6 Series III

My E-brake has slowly been getting worse and worse for the past year. Now when I'm on a hill, it barely holds, and the car tends to roll unless i put it in gear.

Is there a way to adjust the cable? If not, does anyone have any ideas on how to replace the e-brake pads? I don't have to drop the cage, do I? When i replaced the rear pads a couple years ago, i didnt have to drop the cage, but I'm not even sure where the e-brake pads are.

Any help would be great!

Thanks again,

Tyler

Old 05-24-2012, 02:30 AM
Received 10,311 Likes on 6,821 Posts

Tyler,

The E brake I am assuming, is the emergency brake, mmmm, not quite so on a Jag of this style. It is a PARK BRAKE and if applied when the car is in motion the pads will quite happily part company with the backing.

Been that way for 40+ years.

So in some markets I would assume this car is "illegal", as there is no way of stopping it with that system.

Enough rambling Grant.

The calipers you seek are UP ON TOP of the ones you just accessed to do the main brakes. Top job, NOT.

Many have removed those calipers without removing much else, me included, LONG ago. Getting that bronze spring plate in place, and the LONG pivot pins/bolts back in place is a test of your patience at the very least.

The park brake calipers are "self adjusting" using a basic tooth ratchet arrangement, and all I have done over the years have been seized, so a strip and rework is required, and water proof grease helps considerably.

Now if someone wants them done I will only do so by removing the cradle. Age is now at all the other bits in that area, and I simple DO IT ALL, or leave it be. Done properly, it will last another 10+ years.

My XJ-S works well, I did it 12 years ago.
The S2 V12 works so-so, PARK works fine.
The MK10, NO work, NOT doing, "P" is just fine.

I picked up a park brake pad material piece in the driveway a few weeks ago, the S2 I reckon, so one day I will think about it.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey grant,

thanks for the tips -- i suspect that the pads have either worn away or come loose/off because i certainly have never replaced them, and the PO was so rough/negligent with this car that i suspect they are due for a change. i'll see if the local jag shop will do them for cheap, and if not i'll dive into the work myself. finding the "spreader springs" is what i anticipate being the most expensive part of the job :-p

Old 05-25-2012, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

You can get all the parts for the handbrake; it is common to all Jaguars with the independent rear suspension from 1961 on (the year the E-type was announced), up to the last of the XJ saloons in the mid-80s.

There is a slight variation with one of the components on later cars, but it is interchangeable.

This supplier seems to have most of the bits. Suppliers for modern Jaguars are unlikely to have all you need.

SNG Barratt - UK | Jaguar & Daimler classic parts, spares & accessories

Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 AM
Received 10,311 Likes on 6,821 Posts

Fraser is SPOT ON.

The pads are a tad hard to find down here at the moment. the last 3 sets I got were seperating from the backing straight out of the box. Not going to last too long. A WELL known brand, but alas NO names on here, that would be improper.

Since you are in the States, i would try XK Unlimited in San Louis Obispo. I use them for older bits, and sometimes even free shipping.