XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Window Motors

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Window Motors

I am getting ready to assemble my XJ12C and am working on the windows. The car is just a shell, so this seems like a good time to make some improvements and make everything right. The window motors seem sluggish, any suggestions on improving? Replacement from another model, buying replacements, having motors rewound. Since it is apart, I would appreciate suggestions on how to make it a more enjoyable car.

Old 05-17-2020, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,783 Likes on 7,114 Posts

Adding relays to the circuits, to ensure the motors get full B+ voltage, is one way to speed things up.

Simply cleaning all contacts and connections, including internal switch contacts, will often give an improvement....but perhaps not as much as you're seeking. Same for cleaning and lubricating the window lift mechanisms and run channels.

With enough time and effort you could find modern motors that may be faster. I dunno. But there are jillions to choose from. I'm not aware of anyone having done so; you might be the trailblazer.

Cheers
DD

Old 05-17-2020, 11:41 AM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

I ran a new ground wire from the power window motor through the rubber hose at the hinge and then fastened it to a good ground the the car. Then I put the windows down and some multi- purpose spray cleaner on a paper towel and cleaned the window channels well. Then sprayed some silicone lube in a little cup and used a small sponge to put the silicone lube on the window channels (don't get the cleaner or silicone on your paint or interior). Now the windows go up and down as fast as my wife's Lexus.

Jeff

The following 2 users liked this post by Yellow series3:
Doug (05-17-2020), Jag7651 (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 12:03 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Icsamerica used series 3 motors in the rear widows, there was more detail somewhere but the only link I have found so far was this thread
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-136475/page2/

Old 05-17-2020, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,434 Likes on 1,832 Posts

I don't know about Series 2, but in Series 3 XJ the motors are GM-DELCO from the 1980s. Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, used the same motors.
Maybe GM cars used them all the way to 2000, and who knows, maybe the same motors are still being used.

Back in the early 1990s you could get remaned GM window motors at CarQuest, just like the GM air Pumps in the Series 3. CarQuest was swallowed by Auto Zone.

the only difference was that Jaguar used metric threads and GM used SAE threads. So you bought new SAE bolts with the motors or pumps.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
I don't know about Series 2, but in Series 3 XJ the motors are GM-DELCO from the 1980s.
Except for the ones that used Brose motors

Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Cadillac, used the same motors.
Maybe GM cars used them all the way to 2000, and who knows, maybe the same motors are still being used.

They probably are, at least on some models. Identifying which models can get tricky, as GM has used umpteen different motors on various models thru the years. Prior to '77 or so it was much easier, as they only used a couple different designs. It started getting more complicated later. Elsewhere on the web some have been trying to match up some XJS window motors that are marked "AC Delco" but no luck so far. The conclusion being drawn is that they were made (or at least marketed) by AC Delco but were not used on any GM product. This if for an XJS, mind you. Not Series III

Anyhow....

If you happen to have the specifics of which AC Delco motors work on a Series III, it would be helpful to know

Back in the early 1990s you could get remaned GM window motors at CarQuest, just like the GM air Pumps in the Series 3. CarQuest was swallowed by Auto Zone.

the only difference was that Jaguar used metric threads and GM used SAE threads. So you bought new SAE bolts with the motors or pumps.
They're still selling reman window motors, yes. A-1 Cardone being one of the bigger suppliers.

If you get a patient parts guy on a slow day you can probably find a match-up if you open enough boxes.

Once I got a Cardone replacement motor for one of my Jags. Everything was the same except the tooth count. I swapped the Jaguar drive section onto the Cardone remanufactured motor section and, voilá !

Cheers
DD

Old 05-18-2020, 08:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,434 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Doug that was years ago, around 1994, those older parts guys have retired, nowadays you go to a parts store and you have these younger kids who say "year and model?" to search the computer and they have no clue what is what. All they do is recite what they read on the screen.

One has to literally take the old window motor to a salvage yard to match it with GM motors.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
Doug (05-18-2020), LT1 jaguar (05-18-2020)
Old 05-18-2020, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
Doug that was years ago, around 1994, those older parts guys have retired, nowadays you go to a parts store and you have these younger kids who say "year and model?" to search the computer and they have no clue what is what. All they do is recite what they read on the screen.

One has to literally take the old window motor to a salvage yard to match it with GM motors.
Too true.

In my neck of the woods, at least, I find that the NAPA stores often have the older, veteran parts guys who rely on experience rather than just "year make, and model".

Cheers
DD

Old 05-18-2020, 08:30 PM
Received 627 Likes on 321 Posts

I agree with both Jose and Doug. If you go to one of the large chain parts stores with minimum wage employees your going to have problems if you don't have a year, make and model for them to look up. An AutoZone guy told me that is the only way they can look things up - their system is not indexed any other way.

But I, like Doug, have a NAPA store that is always ready to dig and help me. They have a big rack of paper reference books that they let me look at while they take care of other customers. If we find something we think will work they will order it and the next day I go in and look at it to see if it will work - no charge. They always let me return things, too. But here is the trick: your not looking for a good parts store, you are looking for a good, knowledgeable person that works in that store. Then when you have a difficult task, call and make sure your guy is going to be there, if not, ask when they will be there. Then when they work their magic make sure they know how much you appreciate it.

Another idea you might use is to Google the part you think might work and click on the images tab. Look through them a find a part number. Then with some more digging you can sometimes find spec sheets with dimensions, etc. Then when you go see your parts guy you have something to start with.

Jeff

The following 2 users liked this post by Yellow series3:
Doug (05-18-2020), LT1 jaguar (05-18-2020)