XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical in the Engine Bay (Headlights, some tube thing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 03:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electrical in the Engine Bay (Headlights, some tube thing)

So as I slowly start working through the car, one of the main points for me to address is that it's still running old school headlights and I want to swap to LED. I haven't pulled the outer lights yet to see what type of plug-in they use, but I'm planning on picking up two sets of LED 5 3/4" and have all 4 lights be low and high beam. Currently the inner lights do not function at all...

That being said, checking wires to them I noticed that the ground wire to the frame (presumably done by previous owner) had pulled out of it's crimp connector and on both sides there is an extra wire just hanging. In addition to that, the wife asked about a cylinder sitting near I assume the master cylinder and when I took the top rubber piece off, it had 2 wire connections. One was broken off at the crimp connector, the other was missing the screw that holds it down. I have no idea what it is (looks like maybe a reservoir for brake fluid).

Old 02-21-2022, 04:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,078 Likes on 594 Posts

This might help sorting the brake level sensor. My reservoir is on the MC, but I think the principle and wiring would apply.

Mine has a BY (black/yellow) wire to one terminal and a B wire to the other. This sensor is just a normally-open ground for the warning light in the dash, when the fluid gets low, a little float in the cap allows the contacts to close providing ground to the dash light.

On your headlights, it looks like you got the optional "special wiring modifications" with the car. I did the same thing as you by wiring both headlights on in high and low beam. I upgraded the headlight harness and fuse block with a "store-bought" item with two relays. The only thing I needed was a 3-terminal bulb connector replacing the 2-term high beam connector and use a hi-low beam light bulb in place of the hi-beam only bulb. I kept the halogen bulbs to simplify finding replacements and we don't really have much darkness up here in the summer, so headlights are required mostly for day time running lights (DRL's). In the upper left corner of pic #1 you can see the two relays for the headlights, one for low beams and one for high beams.

Dave

Old 02-21-2022, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That helps a lot. Means I don't have to worry too much about the sensor since it's just a dummy light (and after dealing with my truck, I'll probably be checking fluids weekly at the least if not closer intervals). For the headlights sounds like I can just pick up some of the 3-way harnesses and grab a splitter of ebay. We get those really dark nights here in MD, especially when the wife and I travel towards PA or Western MD, so lighting is definitely a must in the mountains. Glad to know they're not *serious* issues after dealing with the doors. I think the only thing to address now will be the gas tank leaking and the air vents squealing like a pig when the car is started. lol

The following users liked this post:
LT1 jaguar (02-22-2022)