XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to buy 350 converted Jaguar

Old 03-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Going to buy 350 converted Jaguar

I'm looking at buying another Jaguar. This one is a 1976 XJ6 that has had a Chevy 350 and automatic transmission put in it. It install was done by the last owner.

I was told that there is engine problems and the car has been parked for about two years. The body looks great as does the inside. If it ran I would drop the price right now.

The question is what kind of problems can I be looking at because of the conversion? I'm not worried about having to rebuild the engine or transmission. It's the conversion and what changes were done during the conversion that may cause me problems.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Catnlion
I'm looking at buying another Jaguar. This one is a 1976 XJ6 that has had a Chevy 350 and automatic transmission put in it. It install was done by the last owner.

I was told that there is engine problems and the car has been parked for about two years. The body looks great as does the inside. If it ran I would drop the price right now.

The question is what kind of problems can I be looking at because of the conversion? I'm not worried about having to rebuild the engine or transmission. It's the conversion and what changes were done during the conversion that may cause me problems.
Check which trans was installed if its a 350 or 400 trans you might find the gearing is to low. I remember doing this conversion with a 350 chevy and 350 trans and that was a problem you have to put a higher rear end gear. I can't remember what I did I think I ended up selling it .Just check the revs against with someone that has the original V12 or 6
say at 60 mph. Other than that it was a nice conversion. Bernie

Last edited by sherbercars; 03-06-2014 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-06-2014, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

Hard to say. I've seen some V8 conversion that were beautifully executed. Others are hatchet jobs.

Have you seen pics of the installation?

Hopefully ISC America sees your post and chimes in. He has first hand experience in this area

Cheers
DD

Old 03-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

I think your questions would be better served on the XJ6series I ,II, III section that covers that model year. X300 covers 95 thru 97 XJ6's

Old 03-06-2014, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I think your questions would be better served on the XJ6series I ,II, III section that covers that model year. X300 covers 95 thru 97 XJ6's
Since my other car is a '95 XJ6 I was reading here when I had the thought. I guess I should have had two thought, like changing threads.

Old 03-07-2014, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

I just figured you'd get more and better responses out of the earlier XJ6 people + Jag-Lover's have a specific "lumps" section that covers V8 conversions if you want to ask over there. Good luck

Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I just figured you'd get more and better responses out of the earlier XJ6 people + Jag-Lover's have a specific "lumps" section that covers V8 conversions if you want to ask over there. Good luck
Maybe. I've heard and read about the conversions some but I wasn't planning to do it to my '95 XJ6. Then this one came along with a great body and interior with a good price so I figured why not, it would make a good project.

I asked the question because how many of us got a project that turned into a nightmare that we later regretted?

Old 03-07-2014, 12:24 PM
GGG
Received 16,747 Likes on 12,140 Posts

Catnlion,

I've moved your question from X300 to XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992 forum.

This is the place for questions about the XJ6 you are considering.

I hope it checks out OK.

Graham

Old 03-07-2014, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,912 Likes on 5,278 Posts

Maybe. I've heard and read about the conversions some but I wasn't planning to do it to my '95 XJ6. Then this one came along with a great body and interior with a good price so I figured why not, it would make a good project.

I asked the question because how many of us got a project that turned into a nightmare that we later regretted?

I've read this whole thread, Catlion.
I have almost the exact conversion you're considering; Chevy 350/700R4/3.31 diff, bought it in September 2013. The conversion was done in November 1986, 27 years ago when the car was "only" 10 years old.

I have had some minor issues with the conversion mostly related to deferred maintenance. I come from a Chevy family so I'm not put off by such things.
The car runs totally Awesome even not considering its age. (I think they didn't drive it much the last several years.) Overdrive is definitely a plus with such short a legged diff.

Aside with age related issues, the thing that annoys me most right now is that the speedometer reads 10% faster than I'm really going. I've narrowed that down to small radius tires (cheapies to sell the car) which will be replaced with proper 70R tires as soon as these are sufficiently worn.

I've had my hands into almost all parts of this conversion and I don't see any serious issues, however, it was done by a respected Professional. If you're familiar with how things should be underneath, I suggest putting it on a lift and taking a good, hard look. Ya can't be too critical if you have doubts to begin with.
(';')

Old 03-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Find out...Was a conversion kit used, if so which one? For example...John's is junk, poor mounts leads to harshness, hatchet job radiator hose etc. .. Jaguar Specialties is the best one but also most expensive done right. If a kit was used, it's a bolt in and any major problems can be rectified at a price. Conversions usually don't require any major alterations for the body so no cutting or welding on anything other than the exhaust is required. If you don't know what kit, take a picture, post and we can identify visually. Suncoast and Jaguar specialties are the only ones I'd consider, any others should be replaced so factor that in to your calculus.

Who did the conversion? Did that person have experience? Were they an automotive expert? If not then its likely many short cuts were taken and will have to be rectified.

Here's some of the info you may want.

Whats the engine problem, What was stated is kind of broad. What transmission? What 350 block? Are you sure its a 350 not a 305? What year? Was it from a doner car if so which one or was it a crate motor. Is it a roller block 87 and later??? Non-roller block and cams usually wipe camshafts because todays oils don't have ZZDP. If they cant tell you what's exactly wrong assume the worst and offer a price as if it needs a replacement motor. If it doesn't and you figured that out you should reap the reward.

A properly done Chevy conversion is smooth, reliable and a Joy to drive. Sadly 75% I've seen are poorly done.

Last edited by icsamerica; 03-07-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

A few points.

1. If the relatively low revving 4.2 could handle a low ratio final drive, (3.34 ) most SBC's can thrive on it. Oddly, the 4.2 gets it's torque at relatively low rpm's, whereas a lot of the SBC's do better at higher RPM's.

2. SBC's come in as many configurations as there are stars in the sky. and, many of those have been modified to only resemble the original slightly.

3. As engines go, SBC's are easy to fix and replacements will not break the bank.

4. If the subject car has a popular TH350 or TH400 it will be a three speed. No OD. An important consideration in some ways.

5. Of course, the health of engine and transmission is very important in the determining what this car is worth.

6. A homebrew installation can be elegant or ghastly. The available kits have differing protocols, but each is it's own way is OK or better.

I did my 83 XJ6. Just came from errands in it. A pleasure to drive. Biased, oh yes. Now, as to elegance, my install isn't the best, but it is far from the worst!!!

I wrote a paper, "lump Thoughts II" on my adventures. If any one wants to peruse it in PDF format, contact me , PM and I will share.

carl.hutchins1@sbcglobal.net

Carl

Old 03-09-2014, 02:31 PM

I should get my Jaguar out of the shop sometime next week. Maybe I'll take a road trip to look at it. I don't know if the seller is just poor at communication or he doesn't know that much about it. He has said that it's been parked for two years and he did not do the conversion. It took about three emails to just find out automatic or manual transmission.

Thanks for the help everyone.