XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

half shaft bolt removal help

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Default half shaft bolt removal help

Any one know how to get this apart?? Need to replace two bolts on the other side but the only way is to take it all apart

Came out of here

Old 11-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

You do know they're leaking 90wt all over the brake rotors, right? Wish I could help with getting them apart.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

Take them both to a machine shop and have them taken care of,...then switch to outboard brakes and you will avoid the diff fluid from contaminating the rotors / pads. Sometimes you simply have to spend a few bucks on it. Not difficult... Problem(s) solved..

Old 11-12-2016, 12:53 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

how do i get the outboard brakes??

Old 11-12-2016, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Originally Posted by sunchip
how do i get the outboard brakes??
How indeed !
The outboard brakes were fitted to the later XJS cars. Also the XJ40 cars had them from 1986 on, and these probably fit too, but I can't be sure on this.

Looking at your photos, I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, can you expand a bit, because maybe at 70, I'm getting a bit thick and stupid !

Old 11-12-2016, 04:10 PM

I have a set from an XJ8 (2001) that I will be installing on my 86 VDP.

Outboard brakes on Jag IRS - with photos | The H.A.M.B.

All I need to source, are the spacers that go where the inner rotors used to live. Waiting to find an XJ40 in the wrecking yard so I can snag these spacers or call David Boger to sell me two of them and then have a new lower upright shaft made. Handbrake cable to be fabricated - have plans for this item.
Check out the link I have supplied.

Not to gloat but I got mine for "0" dollars as the guy was cleaning out his garage -moving... and they are ventilated rotors. ..some are solid, mine are not . My winter project.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by alynmurray
I have a set from an XJ8 (2001) that I will be installing on my 86 VDP.

Outboard brakes on Jag IRS - with photos | The H.A.M.B.

All I need to source, are the spacers that go where the inner rotors used to live. Waiting to find an XJ40 in the wrecking yard so I can snag these spacers or call David Boger to sell me two of them and then have a new lower upright shaft made. Handbrake cable to be fabricated - have plans for this item.
Check out the link I have supplied.

Not to gloat but I got mine for "0" dollars as the guy was cleaning out his garage -moving... and they are ventilated rotors. ..some are solid, mine are not . My winter project.
Alyn,
It looks like that XJS cage and suspension might bolt in the ser2 xj6 complete. Any chance this is the case?
Geez I hope so...
Bill

Old 11-13-2016, 01:55 PM

Hi Bill I am betting it would, and as a bonus you get a lot more room for the over the axle pipe because the inboard caliper is not there anymore.
As I mentioned ,.. the parts I have,.. come from a 2001 sedan which had the different rear cage than the earlier Xj6.
I am using only the U joints / halfshafts / Ujoints / and uprights which are the same as XJS in width. But a small spacer is needed to take the place where the inner rotor used to live, or cut down the old rear disc and use the inner portion as the spacer

The pins that go through the bottom of the uprights and pass through the lower arm are a different size...a bit of machine shop work needed.

The handbrake cable ...there are parts from later Jags that will work.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by alynmurray
Hi Bill I am betting it would, and as a bonus you get a lot more room for the over the axle pipe because the inboard caliper is not there anymore.
As I mentioned ,.. the parts I have,.. come from a 2001 sedan which had the different rear cage than the earlier Xj6.
I am using only the U joints / halfshafts / Ujoints / and uprights which are the same as XJS in width. But a small spacer is needed to take the place where the inner rotor used to live, or cut down the old rear disc and use the inner portion as the spacer

The pins that go through the bottom of the uprights and pass through the lower arm are a different size...a bit of machine shop work needed.

The handbrake cable ...there are parts from later Jags that will work.
Well this is very cool. I have to pull the rear cage on my xjc anyway, if I could freshen up an xjs complete assy and pretty much bolt it back in, that would be fantastic. I'll look for an '89 hoping to get vented discs.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:44 PM

I have lost track of what is what in the world of Jaguar but the guy I got my rear half shafts / uprights etc. from,...said they came from a 2001 XJ6 (is that a x300? ) don't know... but do some "googling" of Jaguar rear outboard brake swap and you will find lots of info.
I had some pieces of the rear "cage" assembly, but it was completely different from my 86 XJ6...threw it away,.. but from what I understand the half shafts and uprights are the same as the XJS ..halfshafts are the same as the XJ6 . I have the u joints on both ends of the half shafts and the flange that bolts to the diff output flange.. I am happy ,,

If I owned your buggy I would look into it - would be a nice upgrade.

You will notice the outboard uprights are shorter to compensate for the rotor etc parked on the end.

I wanted them because of the increased clearance where the over the axle pipe pass through the cage and the better parking brake - a small drum within the rotors. and I got tired of the hypoid smell from the diff leaking fluid onto the rotors when they got hot (and ruining the pads....then there is the time when the rotors wear out and need changing. not often but a pain in the butt when you have to do it.

Old 11-20-2016, 07:12 PM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

Bill... You'll need to find a later XJS for the swap.. I think the outboard brakes were introduced around 94... It's a small time frame... Plus the later XJS parts sell like they are made of gold..
Alyn... Not that it matters, but the 01 is the X308.... X300 classification ended in 97..

I have all of the parts off an X300 that I could easily compare to the Series 3...

Cheers,
David
shop.everydayxj.com

The following users liked this post:
slofut (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by davidboger
Bill... You'll need to find a later XJS for the swap.. I think the outboard brakes were introduced around 94... It's a small time frame... Plus the later XJS parts sell like they are made of gold..
Alyn... Not that it matters, but the 01 is the X308.... X300 classification ended in 97..

I have all of the parts off an X300 that I could easily compare to the Series 3...

Cheers,
David
shop.everydayxj.com
Hey David,
Good to hear from you, thanks for the reply. I'm still working on the vette but at least I'm about 90% done now. May be able to get on the xjc someday in the near future. Do need to look out for that ~94 rear cage though. Hope you're doing well.
Bill

The following users liked this post:
davidboger (11-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Fraser:

A bit off topic? 70, naah, you are fine. I wish I could back down to that from my present 87!! I was going great then, still unretired and having fun at work.

I "think" my grey matter is still as good, but the joints ain't!!!
Just do my muscle work in spurts and at a slower pace.

Front yard almost full of downed tree trunks and branches.
Slash being cut up for recycle and fire wood. A bit at a time...

Tankless water heater fussing. But, I can prod it and get hot water.
So the real fix not a present issue. Contact with maker tech to continue. And test in a bit. Air in line might be the issue. Bled off
earlier.

Both cars doing just fine.

Carl