Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headrest lamps

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 04:05 PM
Lin
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headrest lamps

I am posting this here in case someone may have experienced my current dilemma.

I am installing XJ40 Daimler seats in my 64 Jag MK2. I think they are 1990 vintage.

I am trying to determine how to wire the lamps in the back of the headrests over the picnic tables As you can see in the photo, there are three terminals. The small terminal also has a diode. There is no on/off switch. The headrest has a black/pink wire that I am sure is ground. The large terminal has a brown/white wire and the small terminal has a red/light green wire.

I assume that one of the wires connects to the courtesy lights circuit so when the door is open the light comes on?

Note the rotary dial on the right. It operates a “shade” that dims the light. I am not sure about this but when the shade is rotated all the way open it must break the ground contact because the light goes out - so I guess it does have an on/off switch of sorts.

Any ideas about the connections for the brown/white and the red/light green wires in the MK2?

Attached Thumbnails Headrest lamps-php5pankypm.jpg  
Old 11-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Brown is usually the 12 volt / hot / positive wire, or "constant" 12 volt as long as the battery is connected.

the red/light green is usually for accessory lighting, i.e. "ACC" position in the switch.

The Black is usually GROUND, but the Pink is usually Ignition power. I'm lost on that one.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:41 AM
Lin

Thanks, Jose.

I am going to set up a "bench test" later today. I will let you know how I come out.

Black and pink is definitely the ground wire.

Lin

Old 11-24-2015, 07:08 PM
Lin
Default Headrest Lamps

Set up a little bench test with the rear interior lamp, the B/C pillar lamp and the headrest lamp. Got everything working and discovered a few things.

My B/C pillar lamps, which are new from SNG Barratt, have an on/off slide switch unlike the originals. Any way, as a result of my test I discovered that the on/off switch on the B/C lamp also turns on the rear lamp and the headrest lamp when the central gauge panel interior lamp switch is in the off position. Nice, I guess, that a passenger in the rear seat can turn on all the courtesy lamps with a simple switch at the B/C pillar. Unlike the original B/C pillar lights, these new ones have three wires - a black ground wire, a brown wire for constant power, and a brown/white wire to the door switch. I wired the headrest light the same as the B/C pillar light.

I also discovered that the headrest lamp works just like the other lamps EXCEPT that when all lamps are off, you can rotate the “dial” rotary switch and turn on just the headrest lamp by itself. The other lights do not come on.

With the door closed, the central gauge panel interior light toggle switch turns on the B/C pillar lamp, the rear interior lamp and the headrest lamp.

The problem with the new B/C pillar lamp and with the headrest lamp is that if turned on and left on the battery will drain. While it is not likely that one would leave on four interior lights without noticing, it would be very easy to leave on a headrest lamp. Hmmm. Will have to work on that.

Lin