XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hella intermittent wiper control FIXED

Old 05-04-2016, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Hella intermittent wiper control FIXED

Robert Wilkenson came up with this test method to determine the correct wire that would do the delay:

Leave the Hella off, test on Low speed to start as it gives more time on each sweep.

Remove each wire and note which ones stops the wipers - then touch it back onto its pin.

Does it just move a little ways or finish that sweep? Looking for the one that finishes the sweep.

The Green wire across from the Black on the switch is the ONE.

It stops and finished the sweep on both Low and High Speeds.

I hooked up the Hella wires to the Green wire and its pin and its works on both Low and High Speeds plus it Parks.

With the Hella switch knob in off, it works normally. To work with a delay, the Jaguar switch is set to the desired speed and the Hella switch adjusted to the delay desired.

Happy Days are here again... on to the next project!

Old 05-04-2016, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,912 Likes on 5,278 Posts

Good Deal, Roger!
There's nothing quite so frustrating as something that Should work and simply won't.
I'm glad you got it figured out.
(';')

Old 05-04-2016, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Default Yes, my lucky day

I picked up the aluminum radiator support that I had to modify to allow fitting carbon fiber air box with K&N filter.

The guy doing the welding/cutting of the new piece I bought... did a Pro job of the welding and even polished the whole thing.

Looks wonderful... now I only have to make a paper template of the Jaguar contours from my S3 version and cut them out and file down the edges.

Should look great! Pictures show the before piece and now modified one that is so shiny in the photo it is hard to see the new upright rectangular piece... I modified the mounting plate before the work was done to get rid of the outer upright piece and will now mount the trans cooler down lower. Need that space
for the custom made carbon fiber cold air box to lay and the K&N filter to fit there.

It is a great day...

Attached Thumbnails Hella intermittent wiper control FIXED-radiator-support.jpg   Hella intermittent wiper control FIXED-imag1947.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 05-04-2016 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 12:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Roger,

Did you ever put together a wiring diagram for this switch? I have one in my '66 Volvo 122 but my Jag is currently my daily driver and I'm thinking about swapping.

Thanks,
Adrian

Old 06-28-2019, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member

I found a old document that shows relay connections:

Black to 53M
Red to 12V
Black switch to 53S
White to 31

If this in not enough, let me know.. Still have the Jaguar and original Hella box.

Attached Files
File Type: docx
Interceptor.docx (36.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 07-19-2019, 06:50 PM

I'm sorry but I don't know what black and white wires you are referring to. I don't have the Hella wiring loom as the newer units only come with the relay unit

I'm working on the assumption that the Jaguar has a negatively grounded system, based on the instructions.

Here's what I came up with:

15: 12V positive
31: Ground
30/31: ground

53M: solid green wire next to black wire on wiper switch (leading to motor but also washer switch and park switch terminal)
53S: pin on wiper switch that the solid green wire came off.

Nothing worked when I hooked this up, but I did manage to burn a little wire inside the Hella unit, but it is fixable with a bit of solder.

Any help appreciated!
Adrian

Old 07-22-2019, 11:24 AM

Update: After doing a bit of online research I realized I had been going about this all wrong. Essentially with an intermittent switch you're looking to replicate the "on" function of the switch for a moment in order to force a sweep of the wiper, and then engage the park switch. On the Lucas 16W system, turning the switch to "low" does two things: switch terminal 4 (light green + from battery) connects to switch terminal 6 (red light green) which leads to the motor. PLUS switch terminal 3 (black - wire) connects to switch terminal 5 (white light green) which also leads to the motor. So the motor gets a positive charge to one terminal and also a ground to another (presumably the park switch).

So the Hella system can't possibly work on the XJ6 S1 by simply giving a pulse to one wire. It needs an additional relay to engage the red light green wire (+) and black wire (-) simultaneously.

Last edited by Adrian L; 07-22-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:41 PM

Roger, are you around?

Old 08-02-2019, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member

Adrian

Yes, do you have a question?

Old 08-02-2019, 05:14 PM

I was hoping you were going to respond to #6 above. I'm not sure what black wire you're referring to although "black switch" would be the ground wire that runs to the switch terminal across from the green?

Old 08-03-2019, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

I have attached the Hella Simple instructions and they include my handwritten notes... hope this helps. You do need their relay...

Old 08-04-2019, 12:03 AM

Brilliant! Thanks.