XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help finding Fuel Tanks

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 01:05 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Help finding Fuel Tanks

Hello, This forum has been a great help with questions I've had for my 2002 XK8, so I'm hoping you can help me out with my project car! I have a 71 XJ6 Series 1 and I need some help finding fuel tanks. I had both of my tanks hot bathed and found out that the right tank is Swiss cheese and the left one is a few mills away from becoming so! I live in the Seattle area and worry that any used tank I get from this area will have similar problems since they do collect a lot of water.

So, I have three questions:
1) Are series I, II and III tanks interchangeable or do I have to find series I only tanks?
2) Given that these tanks collect water, is it even worth trying to source used ones or should I just go for new and be done with it?
3) Are there good places to source the tanks at a reasonable price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Old 01-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

http://jaguar-parts.jagbits.com/sear...page=1&filters[catcode]=SeriesIII_FuelDeliv_9&sort=code%20asc

The tanks aren't cheap ($370 per side) but they are available new. Per the website

"THIS PART NOW ON SALE! FUEL TANK, RIGHT, FITS 1980-1987 XJ6. This tank can be fitted to the 1969-1979 XJ6 and XJ12 if you use the fuel level senders for the 1980-1987 XJ6. The earlier tanks are no longer available."

Edit: Quick ebay search also turned them up for about $312 per side with free shipping.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I imagine the hardest part is getting the tanks out. Once the tanks are out, you probably are more able to flush the tanks out with different treatments, chemicals, water, brushing, etc.

Old 01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I'd give these guys a call or e-mail: -

Tanks for Series 1 & early 2, and Series 3 here on this and other pages.....

SNG Barratt - UK | Parts

They ship worldwide.

The following users liked this post:
SNG Barratt USA (12-21-2015)
Old 01-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I imagine the hardest part is getting the tanks out. Once the tanks are out, you probably are more able to flush the tanks out with different treatments, chemicals, water, brushing, etc.
Bah, I need to learn how to read. Didn't realize you said the tanks were already looking like Swiss cheese! I thought they were more like cheddar!!!!!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:04 AM
Default Thanks for the help

All, Thank you so much for the great links! This helps a lot. These tanks aren't cheap, but my local radiator guy wants about the same price fix and line the tanks. So probably better to get new ones and not deal with it.

Thanks again! This forum is great!

Cheers,

Old 06-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Default Fuel Tank Adaptors

Hi All!

I posted this thread a while ago and since then I have found aftermarket tanks for my car. The problem I have now is that the tanks I got have two outputs (one to the fuel pickup and one to a vent) that are different size and thread count than the pipe/fitting my car has. I've been trying to find fittings that will adapt what is in the tank to what I have in the car, but have been having no luck finding size and thread counts that work. The fuel pickup seems to be 1/2" with a 24 thread count. The vent looks like a 7/16" with 24 thread. Does anyone know if there are adapters available? Also, my car did not have the vent output, but I figured I can just plug that one.

The tanks I got are Spectrum JA1E (ecat) and JA1F (ecat), which, according to Spectrum are replacements for a 71 XJ-6 4.2.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Old 06-21-2013, 05:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking An earlier post I made about parts in Seattle

I needed a turnsignal switch for my 87 XJ6, but didn't want to pay up the nose for one. I found a Jaguar / Land Rover recycler in Seattle Washington called British Auto Center
(mailtopartsjunkie@gmail.com)
I called the place up and asked if they had one and they said they did for $95.00 + tax. I told them I'd be down in about an hour. When I went in the door, I was amazed at all the pats they had. My part was sitting on the counter waiting for me as I walked up. The part works great, the deal was great and I'm still in awe at what they have. Every interior trim part, grilles, door panels, lights, seats, carpets, switches, handles, lock cylinders, glass, exterior trim, wheels, door seals...everything you can imagine was either hanging on the wall, on a shelf or counter. It's all there!

British Auto Center, LTD
2938 SW Avalon Way
Seattle WA 98126
206-935-0872

They are definetly going to be my parts supply for sure! If you know the seattle area, cross the West Seattle bridge and turn left at the west end. It's a funky corner, but head south to Avalon SW and it's about a block up on the right. Blue building that looks like a service garage from the 60's. Look for all the jaguars and land rovers....you'll be in heaven....

Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default I have near new LH Series 1 tank

When I bought my '72 LT/700R it had a new LH gas tank. The fuel injection needed return lines so I bought SII tanks to get the fuel senders in
the same position.

I have the tank for sale on this Forum and others for $100.00 plus shipping and I have a proper shipping box. The RH tank was too rusted to retain...

Give me your Zip code and I will get a shipping quote from So Cal to your home.

mabryroger@hotmail.com

Old 12-21-2015, 12:36 AM
Received 76 Likes on 33 Posts

resurrecting this one on a chance - what did you end up doing for an adapter fitting to use the new tank? I have the same issue with my 1970 and new SNG Barratt tanks

Old 12-21-2015, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Default Spectra tanks in my '71 XJ

I used the fuel senders from the '85 VDP that I scrapped... just a plug in deal and I used the old wire clamps for mounting. This allowed the longer wires to reach the rear of the car and now fuel sender access in through the tail lights... I would suggest that you obtain some wiring from a car scrapper for this purpose and the friction clamps to hold the wires in place. DO NOT FORGET THAT YOU WILL NEED NEW FUEL CAPS FROM A S3... OLD CAPS WILL NOT WORK WITH THE NEW TANKS...MUCH DIFFERENT IN SIZING. Do not fully tighten the tank mounting pieces until the caps are installed... other wise their position may preclude them from closing properly. I had to push them fully to the front of the car for proper cap opening/closing.

Since I am using mine with a V8 and soon to be converted to EZ-EFI 2.0 fuel injection... I had to replace all the fuel lines in the car, add a new six port fuel changeover valve. I ran the new fuel feed line on the left hand side of the spare tire well and then using a 90 degree bulkhead connector - ran a
hard line across the rear of the trunk bulkhead. There I ran proper fuel injection hose to the front of the car.

The new return line was also run with fuel injection hose from EZ-EFI and clamped every foot or so underneath the car and back to the original feed bulk head connector.

I made up a new flared line for the new return line as it comes out of the tank..it does use a very odd fitting - I have a old one sitting on my desk right now and could not find any others around the LA area. David Boger from Everyday XJ sold me a couple of the short pieces of tank tubing so I would have place to start with the correct male fitting plus he provided some very good S3 fuel caps with keys as you will have to replace those as well.... you will probably have to do the same thing and make a short piece of flared fitting and attach a hose and use a bolt to seal off the return portion.

I tried to contact Spectra, but they claimed they had no source of the fittings either! They just sell tanks.. and some related tank stuff. I went to a major foreign car parts supplies and they had nothing of the correct size for the Jaguar tanks.

Tanks are working fine in my car for their intended purpose...just have a bolt in each of the rubber lines held in place with a hose clamp until I do the actual conversion hopefully the first of next year.

Attached Thumbnails Help finding Fuel Tanks-imag1745.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 12-21-2015 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:13 AM

thanks for the tips - it looks like the SIII tanks have their own set of problems when installing into an SI. I'm having trouble just installing the SI specific spectra tanks!

Old 12-21-2015, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Default Spectra can get by with only two tank types now

Yes, there have been changes after forty plus years... but the S1/S2 type tanks seem to have the same type of fittings..

Are your fuel senders located in the front of the tanks like stock? Then you should be able to use your current fuel caps and senders...

David can help you with the fittings for the return lines and just put a piece of quality hose onto the end and plug with a bolt and clamp.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:33 PM
Default Aftermarket fittings

Bry5on,

You can read about my exploits here (Jaguar XJ6 V8: Welcome to the 2013/2014 Project Car Season!), but the long and short of it is that I got a plug from Barret Motors for the fuel return side. The other fitting is a 9/16 x 24 UNEF fitting which was extremely hard to source. I finally found one from a marine hydraulics supplier that had the brass nuts and the pressure fittings that fit. I used copper tubing to go from the tank to the trunk. Unfortunately, I don't have the name of the company I bought them from, but if you Google the fitting size, you will see that there are several out there.

Good luck!

Old 12-24-2015, 12:01 AM

Excellent, thank you Ed! Looks like i'm going to have to cut one up myself!

Last edited by Bry5on; 12-24-2015 at 12:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a new driver side fuel take from David Manners England. It is sitting in my living room currently - gorgeous, shiny thing..... My question is, should I spray paint the new tank and if so, with what....