XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highbeams are inop and cause the lowbeams to short

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Highbeams are inop and cause the lowbeams to short

I'm curious as to what could be causing this problem with my xj6. Everything is wired up right afaik and the relay clicks and the switch works but as soon as you hit it the lowbeams go out and the highs stay out. The fuses and everything are good the only thing out of the ordinary is that there is a burnt ground wire going to that black plastic relay(?) on the driver-side inner fender.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

[QUOTE=switcharoo;1416721]I'm curious as to what could be causing this problem with my xj6. Everything is wired up right afaik and the relay clicks and the switch works but as soon as you hit it the lowbeams go out and the highs stay out. The fuses and everything are good

Did this all happen at once? if so, I'd suspect a relay problem.

I'm not so sure you have a "short".

Do you have a 12v test light? This might help:

Headlamp Circuit Checklist

the lowbeams go out and the highs stay out
It *might* be a matter of burned out bulbs.

The inner (high beam) bulbs might be burned out and the "high" elements of the outboard lamps might be burned out.

the only thing out of the ordinary is that there is a burnt ground wire going to that black plastic relay(?) on the driver-side inner fender.

What plastic relay? Do you have a pic?

Assuming a LHD car....

As built the car should have one relay on the LH inner fender...the metal headlight relay. Do you have that?

Cheers
DD

Old 03-07-2016, 04:55 PM

[QUOTE=Doug;1416729]
Originally Posted by switcharoo
I'm curious as to what could be causing this problem with my xj6. Everything is wired up right afaik and the relay clicks and the switch works but as soon as you hit it the lowbeams go out and the highs stay out. The fuses and everything are good

Did this all happen at once? if so, I'd suspect a relay problem.

I'm not so sure you have a "short".

Do you have a 12v test light? This might help:

Headlamp Circuit Checklist

It *might* be a matter of burned out bulbs.

The inner (high beam) bulbs might be burned out and the "high" elements of the outboard lamps might be burned out.

What plastic relay? Do you have a pic?

Assuming a LHD car....

As built the car should have one relay on the LH inner fender...the metal headlight relay. Do you have that?

Cheers
DD
I forgot to mention they worked fine before I took the hood off to replace the water pump. I've checked voltage at the relay with highbeams on
and I'm getting 12 volts at the topmost blue/white striped wire but 0 at the other. Also no voltage at lights.
Also pic of the wire and questionable relay

Old 03-07-2016, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

That relay definitely questionable because it is not original to the car. But beyond Doug' advice regarding the possibility of filaments being burned out, the fuses are always suspect even if the look good and even if they test as good. Please believe this; before doing any thing more elaborate, remove the fuses, tighten and clean the cradles and put in new fuses; further, clean and tighten every connection you can find - there are ground connections on the radiator surround panel (check both front and rear of the panel)'

Gregory, Victoria, Canada

Old 03-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

[QUOTE=switcharoo;1417265]
Originally Posted by Doug
I forgot to mention they worked fine before I took the hood off to replace the water pump.
Presumably you've checked that all the wires got hooked up properly. Sorry, but I had to ask.

Check the grounds on either side of the radiator, too. They're sorta in the neighborhood of the hood hinges.

I've checked voltage at the relay with highbeams on
and I'm getting 12 volts at the topmost blue/white striped wire but 0 at the other. Also no voltage at lights.

Check the fuses and fuse clips as Gregory says...very common problem area. If no joy the steps mentioned in the Headlight Circuit Checklist should narrow things down

Also pic of the wire and questionable relay
That's a little scary. I'd trace down what that relay is used for ....some sort of add-on....and get to the root cause of the fried wires.

One possibility....a bit of a stretch....

Jaguar USA marketed a Series III/XJS fog lamp kit that used a generic relay such as you've pictured. It involved tapping into the headlight circuit at the relay. I sort of doubt that's what we're dealing with but it's worth checking out.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-08-2016, 01:48 PM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Same problem here. Will rewire my headlights with the scheme of how it should be original. Over time people have been cutting into the wires so it's become a mess. Right high beam, left side lights at the same time, etc.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Seems to be a common problem area in our cars. I am adding a relay to unload the light switch. I really dislike the idea of full headlight power running through there, its like something from the 60s. Switcharoo just seems to have lost his high beams. Odd that he see battery at the relay and nothing at the lights. Does point to the fuse box although the high beams are on two different fuses.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 PM

I found a blown 10amp fuse in fuse holder today.
The highbeams also magically work now.

...oops

Old 03-09-2016, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member

There you go it was the fusebox, just easier than you thought :-)

Standard ratings are 20A low beam and 35A high beam.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

That fuse box has caused consternation to me as well. And, I think my car got a new Hella light relay by it's PO. Cleaning the underside of the box and rolling the fuses fixed a lot of odd light issues.

Curiosity and???

Check the lower right corner of the picture. That rusty bolt with what appears to be a wire under it is screaming, "trouble here"!!!!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Daf11e (03-10-2016)
Old 03-11-2016, 12:23 AM
Veteran Member

mmmm, everything about that really looks ugly. Would be good to work out what it does and tidy it up or bin it if its a left over from some other previous owner adventure.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh by the way my problem was caused by a lazy mechanic who changed the high beams to on/off with the indicator lever instead of the dipper switch on the ground (series 1). Under the steering wheel the relay was hidden. It wasn't even properly soddered in, just twisted and taped.