XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn issue (help)

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 07:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Horn issue (help)

So I have a 1987 Jaguar XJ6 that I recently purchased and am working through correcting issues. I am to the horn. The previous owner installed a "button" that connects the purple/black to one terminal and the black ground to the other. When I connect back to the original wiring set up (purple/black to lower steering column tab and black to upper steering column tab) the horn sounds and won't stop. I then replaced the relay. Same issue. Then, I removed the steering pad and all of the horn mechanisms in the steering wheel, but left the brass rod in. Still sounds. When I move the steering wheel (turn and telescope) it then goes on and off as i turn it. Seems like something might be grounding the steering column (?). It even sounds when I remove the brass rod. Any thoughts or theories are very much appreciated. Not crazy about the "button" option unless completely out of ideas (ugh!) Thanks in advance

Old 02-11-2019, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

obviously the previous owner had problems with the horn and modified it to make it work.

are the wiring connections at the horn relay per the S 57 Wiring Guide?

I would consult the S 57 Wiring Guide, if you don't have it, download it free at my website below.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Robbo9
Seems like something might be grounding the steering column (?)
Inside the column are a couple of brass contact rings. One of them probably slipped out of place and is grounding the inner column to the outer column. Or something like that.

I've never had a column apart so I'm not much help. But search the archives for a couple good write-ups with pics. They might be in the "XJS" section. The XJS used the same design column for many years.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

Historically I've always stated that the easiest way to repair the inner steering column fault was just by replacement.
I've never actually had one apart....
I did comment on one post about replacing the entire column, and the guy came back and said he had thought about it a bit, and decided to try sliding a drinking straw on the horn push rod... He claimed that fixed the problem of the horn continuously blowing, and had restored the use of his horn... Whether that would work in most cases is a guess, but may be worth trying before repair or replacement...
Cheers,
David
shop.EverydayXJ.com

Old 02-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Wink

David:

That makes a lot of sense !! The horn push rod is intended to be insulated and he contacts to ground made at the slip ring at the base of the column. the insulation has failed. The soda straw restores the isolation.

Problem: :One of our local governing body has decided that the straws are corrupting the environment. no more straws for out beverages??

Carl

Old 02-13-2019, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Cool

IE quirks ths AM. Not sure if the post stuck.

Raining out. Hibertnation time..

Old 02-13-2019, 11:56 AM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts

I would use a length of heat shrink tubing - much more durable over time.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Cool

Great.

Don't let local Gov's know this.! They say straws do not decompose. so, may under that "logic" decide to forbid shrink tubing..

Carl

Old 02-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts

MY 2 cents:
When I installed the Momo steering wheel in my car, I left the horn rod off to drive the car to make sure that the wheel was in the correct position. As soon as I turned the wheel the horn started to sound. The insulation at the bottom of the horn rod isolates the horn contact rings from ground.
So besides the drinking straw thing, Ian's suggestion of using shrink tubing is the next best bet, bearing in mind that the insulation used at the bottom of the horn rod is made of teflon and it rubs on the horn contact rings all the time. Eventually, the shrink tubing may wear thin. If using the shrink tubing, make sure that it is very smooth after shrinking and add as many as necessary to make it the correct thickness. Lubricate before installation.