XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how do i drain my carbs series 2 xj2

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default how do i drain my carbs series 2 xj2

just got a new fuel filter and wanting to drain my carbs before i start it again but not sure how? is there a nut to undo to drain all the fuel out? want to drain it because it was surging when foot down replaced filter and filter was full of yuk rusty stuff so guess the carbs are the same

Old 04-26-2013, 11:15 PM

also how do i check the oil for the su carb damper thingy? and can i use 10 w 40 oil for that? any info on carbs and my fuel system on a series 2 would be good to know

I put in some 10w40 engine oil into the carbs what google said and took it for a 10minute drive checked again and can't see any oil in the dash pot, there is sign of oil on the tip of the rod but can't see any, what happened to the oil which i put in did it burn away? if so do i need oil down there if it burnt it all on a 10minute drive doesnt seem like any will hold in there.

Last edited by Nos_Monkeys; 04-27-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:37 AM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

I will forget the first post coz it sounds like most is sorted??.

Oil in the dashpot is subjective, and I have always used ATF, or whatever light grade oil I have on hand.

It is filled to within about 10mm of the top of the tube.

YES, SU carbs do use some damper oil over time, but not to empty the damper tube.
Filling is frustrating until you get the hang of it. I lift the piston manually, and fill the exposed tube carefully as described above.

If you got gunk in the bowls, I reckon the bell chambers are pretty dirty also, and a good clean will do wonders.

This applies to HD or HS style carbies, as I am not sure which you have?.

They are very simple carbies once set up properly and all I have had over waaay too many years have never ever given me grief.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:38 AM

Haven't found how to drain the carbys yet only change fuel filter so far wanting to clean carbs out too but not sure how without removing the whole setup. what does it mean if i burnt a hole lot in a 5minute drive? i was driving with my foot down to make sure fuel had stopped surging

Does it matter if i mix oils in the dashpot? like say seen iv put in engine oil do i have to stick with that unless i fully take apart and clean the inside or can i just throw in atf even if there is a tad engine oil in there or somthing? just asking out of curiosity

also not sure what carbys i have either ^.^ only new to jaguar cars it just says su carbs that i can see on the carbs

Last edited by Nos_Monkeys; 04-27-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

My experience is with Strombergs and I think your New Zealand spec ser 2 has SUs? The dashpot cover will have "Zenith-Stromberg" embossed on it if you have Strommies. Some SUs have a plug at the bottom of the bowl that can be removed which will drain all the fuel out of the carb. If no plug, you'll have to remove the screws and take the bowl off the carb. I think I would do that anyway if I were suspecting contaminated fuel.
Regarding dash pot oil, where it goes is sometimes a mystery! With the dampener removed and wHile holding the piston in the full up position, you add oil only into the dampener tube. Just top it off.
With oil, the piston should be damped through its full travel from bottom to top. If its low on oil, you'll get a hesitation or stumble when you put your foot down. The fuel mixture will go lean if the piston isn't damped. The oil should stay there for at least a month or more of normal driving. If its leaking more than that, you probably need a rebuild on those carbs.
Just about any oil will work. I use 20w40 engine oil. The thicker the viscosity, the richer your mixture will be on acceleration.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:11 PM

Yup it has 2 carbys and 1 starting carb

I see thanks for that, im sure it cant be running lean though i can only get 250kms per tank of gas cruising on open roads . . . and its like $120 to fill 1 tank.

Will look at my carbs when its not raining i just didnt want to try take them off because looks difficult to put back on because the linkage between both carbs im not sure how to take off and put back on so both the carbs are set right. the fuel line goes into the bottom of 2 container things which are attached to the side of my carbs. (really wish i ran my other tank dry before replacing the filter etc that will probably have stuff in the bottom of that tank too)

Will try fill them with oil again and go for a small normal drive and see how it goes, it burns abit of engine oil as well about 1/3 to 1/2 oil full on a 3-4hour drive.

Is there anything i need to reset adjust if i take my carbys off and take the bowls off to clean them? or is it just bolt back together and put back on

Last edited by Nos_Monkeys; 04-27-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:46 AM

It sounds like HS8 style carbies, due to the hose you mention on each bowl.

I would remove the 3 screws and lift the lid off each bowl (the float will come off with the lid) and simply use a rag to soak up the fuel, and clean as best you can. OK, I know any gunk in the tube to the jet will still remain, BUT, you are driving it around, so that really is not an issue in my opinion.

Removing the carbies and resetting the linkages properly, balancing the 2 units properly, etc, is an aquired art, and takes some getting right, and can be sooooo frustrating.

I still believe a basic piston/bellchamber clean will do wonders.

Setting the mixtures, balancing both the right way, etc can all come later, and there are plenty of write ups all over this and other sites regarding that.

Cleaning the tanks by removing the drain plugs, will save a lot of heartache as you sort this car.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:06 AM

I had no idea there was drain plugs on the tanks i just assumed they wouldn't have one. Will get out and look when its fine, it does drive without surging now i replaced the filter so i might just take the top off each of those bowls and see how dirty it is and if its not bad then i'll leave the rest of the carbys alone rather than spending ages trying to fix what probably isnt broken lol

Old 04-28-2013, 05:26 AM

Mmmmm, time for a drink.

Raining in NZ, how strange.

There is a "double" style plug in each tank bottom. A very large plug with a smaller plug in the middle, or at least all of mine have had that arrangement.

Only take out, or try at least, the smaller one. The BIG one may be rusted so solid that the bottom of the tank will come out with it, and I will hear you without a telephone.