XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I keep loosing the same cylinder. V12.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 04:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I keep loosing the same cylinder. V12.

1989 Daimler Double Six 105.000 miles.

Hi folks. I've had this recurring problem for a few years now. I've have the garage replace the plugs, clean the electric connector to the injectors. Doing that gave me about 4 months of trouble free motoring. It happened again last month and I tried a different plug, not the "S" and it's dropped the a cylinder on the same bank yet again within a couple of weeks She doesn't get huge runs out sadly, I mostly do local stuff. I'm having a different mechanic look at it next week. I did put racing leads on it a few years ago, is it worth me buying more high end leads or shall I just buy the standard lucas ones please ? Why would it keep loosing the same cylinder, does it just need tuning ? I had them do a compression test and all cylinders were in working range.

Last edited by Flappers; 07-10-2018 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Flappers
1989 Daimler Double Six 105.000 miles.

Hi folks. I've had this recurring problem for a few years now. I've have the garage replace the plugs, clean the electric connector to the injectors. Doing that gave me about 4 months of trouble free motoring. It happened again last month and I tried a different plug, not the "S" and it's dropped the a cylinder on the same bank yet again within a couple of weeks She doesn't get huge runs out sadly, I mostly do local stuff. I'm having a different mechanic look at it next week. I did put racing leads on it a few years ago, is it worth me buying more high end leads or shall I just buy the standard lucas ones please ? Does it just need tuning ?
I would replace all spark plug wires.
Replace the distributer cap.
Walter

Old 07-10-2018, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

? Why would it keep loosing the same cylinder, does it just need tuning ? I had them do a compression test and all cylinders were in working range.
Does the spark plug look black, oily and gunky (high tech terminolgy there!) each time? Or perhaps black and sooty/fluffy?

The former would suggest an oiling problem, perhaps a valve seal issue. The latter would suggest over-fueling.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Flappers:
1. What are "racing leads" ? In olden days, a metallic core. Made the use of a radio impossible. Or just a label ? Better quality or a means of charging a higher price!!

2. Yes, Doug is on the once very prevalent reading of spark plugs for engine condition. Modern fuels make this not quite as informative, but still very informative.

3. Brings back memories of A school chum's car. given him as hand me down family car. A 31 ****** sedan. This was circa 1948. It looked decent and ran well, for a while. It's well worn six cylinder flat head ate oil. So, during an evening out, it would drop a cylinder or two. We took a wrench along and could track down which cylinder fell asleep. Remove the plug and sure enough a blob of oily carbon in the electrode. Our fix was simple. A length of wire,, a bit of rag on the end. Dip it in the tank. Light it up. Hold it to the spark plug. Carbon blob burned away. replace and continue the evening. looking for willing gals. Stop light racing, ditch 'em, etc...

Carl .

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-12-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 12:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
Flappers:
1. What are "racing leads" ? In olden days, a metallic core. Made the use of a radio impossible. Or just a label ? Better quality or a means of charging a higher price!!

2. Yes, Doug is on the once very prevalent reading of spark plugs for engine condition. Modern fuels make this not quite as informative, but still very informative
I just remember talking to a seller via ebay and buying what feel like better quality leads. I'm buying lucas leads with the dizzy cap.and having the new guy give everything a good clean The plugs were wet with fuel last time they were removed and I've recently left a car behind me in a fog of black smoke. What can be done to "tune" the engine please. Forgive me I know some but very little compared to the knowledge here. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Flappers; 07-11-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

The plugs were wet with fuel last time they were removed and I've recently left a car behind me in a fog of black smoke. What can be done to "tune" the engine please.
Some of the common causes of over-fueling are....

- ruptured fuel pressure regulator
- fuel pressure regulator allowing excessive fuel pressure
- faulty coolant temp sensor
- faulty injector harness, causing injector(s) to stay 'on'
- broke/disconnected vacuum hose to the ECU (computer) in the boot
- leaking fuel injector(s)

More detail on any of these items on request

Cheers
DD

Old 07-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

And another for which I am very embarrased (sp) !!!!

Dirty air cleaner !!!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Doug (07-12-2018)