XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking and Growling

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Knocking and Growling

Well, I think my Kitty has finally done herself in. On the way home from work Friday evening the engine began eminating strange sounds from deep within. I don't trust the oil pressure gauge as it fluctuates between zero and 40. THe idiot light seemed to stop working a while ago. As soon as it started growling I pulled over and checked the oil, put a quart in and carried on. No help. I barely made it home. Massive knocking under acceleration, growling at idle. That coupled with my transmission's inability to shift into third until I hit higher revs/speed made for a very harrowing drive. I drove it to work this morning, the oil pressure started off reading pretty good, then dwindled to zero, and the knocking and growling started again in ernest. I think it's time to park it and reassess the situation and the future of the car. Is it time to put someone elses junk engine in? LUMP it? And if so, how does one go about finding a LUMP? Rebuild the growler? Scrap it? Part it? Sell it at "buyer beware" for bargain basement prices? Lots of questions. Just wanted to share my trials and tribulations.

I

Old 01-25-2016, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

It does sorta sound like a major engine failure.

With some shopping around and patience you ought to be able to find a good used engine....or a donor car with a good engine.

How's the rest of the car? Much rust? Other big repairs needed....besides transmission work?

Are you in love with this particular car?

A V8 conversion will probably be $2500 by the time all is said and done....possibly much more depending on many variables. Conversion kit, good used engine and trans, and a slew of incidentals

If the rest of the car is just so-so, it might be more practical...considering money, time, and effort... to just by a different car. $5000-6000 will buy a darn nice Series III XJ6

Cheers
DD

Old 01-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Condolences.Oil pressure issues alone is one thing. Op issues plus knocking is real bad. Your symptoms indicate earing failure. Main bearings thump heavily. rod bearings rattle like pebbles in a can. Cold, thusly thick oil masks loose bearings. The idiot light isn't much help. If t comes on while the engine is running, indicating a loss of OP, it is usually too late, the damage is done. If the rest of the car s sound and not lacking in interior and paint, itis worth contemplating a path to fix it. If not, nope, sell it and find another.1. Only a necropsy can determine the extent of damage. Clue, bad crankshaft means it isn't worth repairing. cost too much.2. The right used engine, from a rust bucket is a reasonable fix.3. Lumping isn't cheap, but sure can be satisfying. Sources of information.A. Here, me included.B. Andrew Weinberg at Jaguar_Specialties. circa San Jose, C. Jonscars in Dallas/Fort Worth.D. Sun Coast in Punta Gorda, FLa.E. JTR in Livermore, CA.good hunting....Carl

Old 01-25-2016, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

PS, park it. Might well be too late !!!!

Old 01-25-2016, 08:52 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah, thanks for the input, I'm not married to the car, it was, after all, a gift. I've done my darndest to get it back to the way it should be and make it a decent running car, but I'm 6'8" tall and find the seating position a tad grating on my lower back. The body is decent, the interior is serviceable, everthing else is as it should be on these cars: aging. I agree, it's time to park it and find something else to spend my money on. It's weird to have gotten to this point in life and have more money than time. It was the other way around a not too many years ago. I think my better half will be more inclined to manage a payment vs managing my laying under the car and hanging out the engine bay for the next year. But, the jury is still out, will have a look around. It's kinda nice not having to hinge the selling of a "junk" car in order to fund the next one. What's it cost to just have it sit for awhile? Nothing but space.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:46 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

Yes that is bad luck .. but these cars are not getting any younger and with so many being scrapped, it may be time to move on, or take a trip "out west" to a non salt state and snag a good relatively rust free car, then do the swap with a decent F/I late model GM power train and maybe a new IRS from a 1996 XJS with outboard brakes (my next mod in the planning stage for my 86 VDP - ex California car , now living in Seattle.)

The "art" of back yard wrenching is almost a thing of the past ,..if it is not already, I think the Internet has helped prolong the hobby, but the writing is on the wall.

Its a thing us older guys grew up doing and now that era is gone. Cars are so computerized, and require specialized training /equipment just to see if the damn thing is running.

As for expense...with the various states requiring emissions equipment and fuel injection now coming in various flavors,...swapping a V8 into an old XJ6 is getting expensive,..even if you know what you are doing.
$ 2500 for a swap ? I don't think so... closer to $ 5000 if you want something nice with a rebuilt fuel injected engine, O/D trans and related upgraded wiring, and efficient cooling.

I watch the various car auction shows on TV and I am waiting to see a modified XJ6 / XJS with GM engine come up for sale.

Some of the Made in America old beaters that have been "restored" are now fetching big bucks for basic rudimentary cars. A few years back we would not have given a second glance to them. Most of them solid axle RWD drum braked, carbed with 400 + CI. A well done S3 car with modern EFI, OD trans and IRS could make people realize these are nice drivers and prices will start moving up, once people realize how few are left.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

"A well done S3 car with modern EFI, OD trans and IRS could make people realize these are nice drivers and prices will start moving up, once people realize how few are left."

Yep the are nice drivers, mine has been a pleasant surprise. I doubt these cars will ever be worth much. Jags will have a value for a niche market if left untouched, but the general markets isnt interested. In the US and here in OZ its extremely parochial in terms of valuing a modifed local vs a modified old school import. That may change I guess, those markets wax and wane all the time.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts

If you are interested and you think your car is worth it, I have a complete running 1984 series 3, 4.2L fuel injected engine and tranny for sale. It is still in the car. I just replaced the freeze plugs on this car. I can do an audio/visual post for you. I am lumping this car for a friend of mine. Plug and Play $1000.00 plus shipping to NY