XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

I've found this discussion Extremely interesting and informative!
On the farm we used the Gusher criteria that Grant (Correction, Doug) mentions , and if a diff reached that state the whole unit was changed, not messing with seals.

In fact, only when I came to this part of the world did I discover people actually worried about a few drops of 90 weight gear grease around the pinion seal and an occasional drop on the floor. I've never seen a dry one except nearly new, and with a few tens of thousands of miles on, every one has been "damp." I was told this was a good thing, that kept the seal from eating into the shaft.

Nix also has a less-than-dusty-dry pinion area, which I didn't think was too bad for a 40 year old car and I wasn't going to worry about it anyway, but after reading this thread, I'm going to leave completely alone except for brushing off the breather.

Thanks, Guys.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 03-09-2016 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Correct attrubution
The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
314jjwalls (03-10-2016), Grant Francis (03-09-2016), Wayne'sJaguar (03-10-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Rainy day wonderment: The original IRS cage was developed for racing.
Parking brake not needed and not included. All went very well.

In olden thinking, race development goes to regular car design and production. The caged IRs goes in tot he E car. Racing heritage. Oh, we need a parking brake. Task assigned to one or more engineers as a team. result, the smallish pads and mechanical application see til the 87 production ended.

Oh, exhaust. Out the side won't work. Under, going to get scrapped.
another task assigned. result, "adequately sized pipes, through the cage.

Hillside parking: I've done my share in nearby San Francisco in several critters, including my 83. Proper curbing of the curbside front wheel essential. Can't rely on P or hand brake alone or both.

Off topic, a bit. A recent downtown disaster happened. Brake failure on a tour bus. Air braked. Clearly failed. No back up on these ???
As I understand them, they are basically a combination of mechanical and air cans. At one time, I thought the defaullt sans air was brake lock. In that bus, seems not! Oh, it was rebuilt from a discarded Washington DC metro bus. common failures lead to selling off the whole fleet.

SF's MUNI just bought a new fleet of ultra long and supra expensive hybrid buses!!! Oh, oh, they can't manage some of the steeper hills!!! I wonder if the brakes are up to it anyway???

The fabled cable cars use manually applied wood shoes on a steel rail.
work fine, most of the time, but once in while, oh, oh!!!

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Wayne'sJaguar (03-10-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by alynmurray
Doug I think that some Jags never have much of a problem with weeping seals but I would bet that they are driven on relatively flat roads. What I feel is the problem is driving down large hills, where speed is slow (always on brakes) and airflow around the cage is minimal (not much chance for sustained cooler air circulating around this shielded hot area).

Would be interesting to see stats of Jags that lived in say, Montana where roads are flat and speeds are higher vs Seattle / San Francisco type downtown area where hills are prevalent and speeds are low - in city driving.

I agree on the airflow situation as you've described; I'm sure you're correct

Yes I have heard of the air scoop for the rear brakes,,,but at this time I am going to do a more permanent fix. Replace the rear inboards with outboard brakes ,,,Jaguar finally came around to this conclusion (a Ford idea?)

The outboard brake design was decided on long before Ford came along....and I'll wager a week's pay that is was entirely a cost-cutting provision. The inboard brake IRS, though lauded for many years, must've been very expensive to produce. A conventional outboard brake IRS would be much easier build and with virtually no down-side. The increased unsprung weight just isn't that much of an issue in the real world.

I would really like to have a good handbrake as well. The binding action of brake shoes against the inside of a drum is more definite than hoping the little inboard pads will hold the car - they won't , at least not for long,

Then they're not working correctly !

So you are really betting on the parking pawl in the trans to hold the car. Then you have to fight the shifter after the car has been parked on a hill for any period of time, that is when shifter cable problems develop because the car has slipped past the handbrake pads and its full weight is resting against the Parking pawl .

I have always been taught to park the car ,set the hand brake and then put the trans in Park, so it will be easier to shift out of Park when starting off again.

That's what I was taught as well. Use the parking brake to hold the weight of the car! The parking pawl then becomes the backup.

Try explaining this the most people and they look at you like you just came down from Mars

But with the Jag set up you end up relying on the parking pawl to hold the car stationary..

I never had to rely on the parking pawl as I found the Jag parking brake held the car perfectly well anywhere, anytime. But your experience obviously is different so I won't beat it into the ground

Cheers
DD

Wayne'sJaguar (03-10-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 06:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So Doug, your advice is to leave well enough alone! I appreciate the feedback as I am really struggling with the decision and today, I pretty much concluded that I should leave the pinion shaft seal as is, and just check the breather. As for the output shaft seals, I have now read the service manual many times, and I continue to be concerned about the bearing preload issue; I suppose one compromise would be to replace the O-rings, which does not require disassembly of the shaft bearings i.e. no need to tamper with the bearing preloads. I am not sure if new O-rings will do anything for me.
FYI, my leaks are not yet "gushers"; rather, the differential is wet, but not "dripping wet" so I would say there are slow leaks on the output shaft seals, perhaps driven by excessive temp given the condition of my rear brakes. Maybe with new brakes, things will stabilize a bit?

Old 03-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,746 Likes on 7,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne'sJaguar
So Doug, your advice is to leave well enough alone!

From what you've described, yes

I appreciate the feedback as I am really struggling with the decision and today, I pretty much concluded that I should leave the pinion shaft seal as is, and just check the breather. As for the output shaft seals, I have now read the service manual many times, and I continue to be concerned about the bearing preload issue; I suppose one compromise would be to replace the O-rings, which does not require disassembly of the shaft bearings i.e. no need to tamper with the bearing preloads. I am not sure if new O-rings will do anything for me.

An alternative is to buy rebuilt stub axles. Coventry West and others sell 'em. New bearings and seals, with the bearings properly set-up. Ten minutes per side to install 'em with the brake calipers and rotors already removed. About $150/each last time I bought 'em, years ago

FYI, my leaks are not yet "gushers"; rather, the differential is wet, but not "dripping wet" so I would say there are slow leaks on the output shaft seals, perhaps driven by excessive temp given the condition of my rear brakes. Maybe with new brakes, things will stabilize a bit?

Hard to say. How's your crystal ball these days?

The leak I had on my old Series III never got worse even after many years and many tens of thousands of miles. Shrug

Cheers
DD

The following 4 users liked this post by Doug:
314jjwalls (03-10-2016), Grant Francis (03-09-2016), LnrB (03-09-2016), Wayne'sJaguar (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 10:19 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Good morning Doug,

Haven't posted for a while. Just thought I'd mention that on my 74 XJ6 the rear end leak was solved with a new Pinnon seal. It is dry now for prox 10K miles. I recently purchased a 1989 KJ-S HE. It is dry as I would expect it to be. The XJ-S has 70K onit at this time. It is winter so it is put away and I switch between my Grand Cherokee and the XJ 6 depending on conditions. I did have some issues with limited RPM on the V12. It would to out at 4500, a little low for that engine. After a lot of digging around, the info came from the Jag Lovers manualon the XJ wherin they mention the secondary coil located in front of the radiator. ONLY THE PRIMARY IS used. I found an appropriate coil and all is well.
Just though I would mention that because I came to the forum with the rpm issue and no one could help. A lot of good suggestion but no solution. She will now run to red line with no issues.

Thanks for all your help.

jack

Old 03-21-2016, 09:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
...Both personally and professionally I avoid replace diff pinion seals unless the leak is a real gusher. Re-setting the pinion nut torque is tricky. Even the pros don't always get it spot-on. Long story but years ago, when I was in the repair business, I did an informal research project on differential overhauls and discovered that more than half the diffs needing overhaul had the pinion seal replaced within the last 12 months!

On our old Jags, where the side seals also require specific bearing set-up, I'd apply the same philosophy: leave well enough alone if at all possible.

Cheers
DD
I was greasing Nix's rear end today, in preparation for a longish road trip this weekend, and decided to track down once and for all what is leaking back there.

The pinion area is virtually dry, but some years ago (long before my ownership), one of the laminated rotors was changed out for a solid one (professionally done I'm sure), and THAT'S where the leak is! It's the side bearing seal!

It's not leaking enough to cause alarm, YET, just enough to keep that side of the case below the shaft wet and drip on the floor once in a while. (>WHEW< I thought one of my new calipers gave it up already!)

In compliance with suggestions in this thread from those with Way more experience than I have, I'll keep an eye on it, but until it reaches Gusher status, I'll basically leave it alone except for occasional cleaning.

When it gets too bad, we'll put the Rhonda S3 junkyard diff in, changing it straight across.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 03-21-2016 at 09:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
314jjwalls (03-22-2016), Wayne'sJaguar (03-22-2016)
Old 03-25-2016, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

LnrB:

I'd not fret. A bit of a weep is not an issue. Three seals there.
One pinion input. Nothing around to get an excess. Safe, merely
keep the pumpkin lube level up.

Two outputs. A tad more critical. Lube on the rotors not good. but, I suspect more than a mere weep would be an issue. Rotational speed being an excellent wiper.

Way back when, in army days, I was a platoon leader. (looey )! in an AAA SP unit. Old half tracks. We prepared for an Inspector General inspection!! My tracks flunked!!! We did check the levels in the motor pool . OK. But driving them to the inspection point deposited
90W on the "box" walls and we flunked.

My argument fell on deaf ears....

He.., I had checked dozens of diff's by the finger method just fine!!!

l

Carl

LnrB (03-25-2016)