XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lower ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:04 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Lower ball joints

Just replaced the upper ball joints on my 87 XJ6...Does anyone make a one piece simple to replace lower bj for these Jaguars.
Still recovering from the uppers!

Old 04-28-2017, 06:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think one-piece ball joints are the norm. I just got a pair from Welsh because I have to replace mine (and I was going to start a thread asking advice on doing them). When I was shopping around, almost everyone had once-piece joints. I think I only saw one supplier who had the old-style kit.

I believe the old multi-piece unit was discontinued and the new one-piece (which I believe is the same as the XJ40's) is the current standard.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,956 Likes on 5,298 Posts

From Parts Geek;
Lemfoerder Ball Joint - Lower
#W0133-1620900 $40.98 each.
(';')

Old 04-28-2017, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Right, on e-piece is the norm nowadays.

EZ install, but you have to drive the old seat out of the lower control arm first.

+1 Lemforder brand

Cheers
DD

Old 04-28-2017, 09:04 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Can you replace them while hub is in car or do have to remove the hub and do it on the bench.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
but you have to drive the old seat out of the lower control arm first.

Correction. I wasn't thinking.

The seat is in the 'vertical link', #15 in this illustration

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...-carrier-front

It's certainly easier to drive out the old seat with the vertical link on the workbench but it's doable with it still on the car.

using a hacksaw or Dremel to make a slice through the seat makes the job a snap. Just a couple taps and the seat collapses on itself and falls out

Since you'll have the lower ball joint disconnected it isn't but a couple minutes more work to unbolt the upper ball joint and so you can take the vertical link over to the workbench

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
level 1 (05-01-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts

Do I need to employ a spring compressor to change either the upper or lower ball joint?

Old 05-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson
Do I need to employ a spring compressor to change either the upper or lower ball joint?
To change the upper joint you only need to jack up the car and release spring pressure on the joint.

Lower ball joints, however, do require a spring compressor.

GREAT CARE MUST BE USED WHEN RELEASING THESE SPRINGS. IF THEY'RE CARRYING 1000 POUNDS EACH, JUST THINK WHAT A WILD SPRING COULD DO TO YOUR BODY ON IMPACT!

That being said, we did it, had No trouble at all and here I am to tell about it.
(';')

Old 05-08-2017, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

I replaced my Series 3 lowers with the later lower ball joint, (XJ40 and subs), without using a spring compressor.

All I did was support the car under the spring pan. First you jack up as normal then lower the car onto a pre-prepared stack of short wooden planks below the spring pan. This takes the weight off the lower joint which can then be unbolted and removed, then the ball seat driven out of the hubcarrier. After this it's a simple job to bolt on the new joint, making sure it comes with the shorter screws, those of the originals are too long. No need to use a tab washer either, as the new screws come with thread lock compound on them.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 280 Posts

Spring Compressors look relatively inexpensive out on the web. Anybody have experience of a particular kind or brand they would recommend? I have new springs and shocks for both ends of the car that I want to install.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

We made our own.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...9/#post1218748
Not hard at all.
(';')

Old 05-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson
Spring Compressors look relatively inexpensive out on the web. Anybody have experience of a particular kind or brand they would recommend? I have new springs and shocks for both ends of the car that I want to install.
You need spring compressors to remove and refit the rear springs. However the front springs are recommended for the Jaguar compressor tool that costs a mint, but there is an alternative as outlined by Doug on this forum. You obtain four suitable lengths of threaded rod of the same dimensions and threads as the screws on the lower spring pan. These secure the spring pan to the lower wishbone, so take the full spring pressure. Removing a single screw, you screw in the threaded rod, then run a nut up it to the wishbone, and tighten, but not too tight. You and then go round each of the other screws in turn doing the same, but dont take out more than one screw at a time. Once you have the spring pan secured by the nuts on the threaded rods you can unscrew the nuts gradually a bit each at a time until the spring pan lowers and the spring itself is decompressed, then undo the nuts finally and remove the spring. These threaded rods have to be quite long, and it will seem as if it takes forever to undo all the nuts, but it's a load cheaper than buying the special tool ! Here in England, the Jaguar Enthusiasts CLub have a hire service for the spring tool.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (05-09-2017)