Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Misc. Trim fasteners

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Misc. Trim fasteners

All,

I'm about to get my 71' Series 1 back from the paint shop after a full body spray and I need some help sourcing some trim fasteners. I'm looking for:
- Nylon/plastic inserts that hold exterior door window scraper chrome strip to door
- Clips used for interior trim that runs across the top of both doors and down the C pillar (one on each side)
- Clips used to hold the upholstered metal trim that run above the front and back windscreens
- Clips used to hold the A pillar trim
- Clips that hold the upper B pillar trim
- Blue plastic push-in fasteners used for the door cards

Part numbers and/or good vendor sources are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 02-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts
Old 02-18-2015, 01:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks SNG

I just went to the interactive site at SNG and found what I was looking for, and more! THANKS!!!

The following users liked this post:
SNG Barratt USA (02-18-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 05:41 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Try David Boger at Everyday XJ.

Everyday XJ

The following users liked this post:
davidboger (02-19-2015)
Old 02-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I cannot speak specifically to the series 1, but I just did much of the same that you speak of on my series 3. I was able to reuse most of my grey plastic fasteners for the door cards, distributing the number that I had among the four door cards. The cant rails (as they are referred to) for the A pillar and up over the doors, and the C pillar cover and rear window casing covers all used a spring metal clip that is trapped in a longish slotted piece of metal and kept by a washer. The spring metal clips that I had had all (but a few) broken. I used one that was still intact and replicated them using the spring steel that is found on the wiper blades of any car. It is the same width and thickness, and is spring steel, so holds the right shape and functions as intended. I simply used needle nose pliers to bend and cut the steel to the exact shape of the original clips. I had to source the washers at a local hardware store. It's important to match the diameter, hole size and thickness as they sit down in the trough of the slotted metal bit that attaches onto the rails. The washers I found fit the bill for outside diameter and thickness, but the hole was too small. I drilled these out on a drill press to the proper diameter. Installation was quite easy and the rails are now held firmly in place. This was a great alternative to sourcing very (?) hard to find small bits and pieces.
I hope this technique is applicable to the series 1...