XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help diagnosing a hard-brake

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Need help diagnosing a hard-brake

My 74 XJ6 lump has what seems like no brake boosting.

The booster has vacuum (tested it from the manifold, even dies when vacuum line is disconnected)

The check valve works and is in the right way (blew on it both ways to see its a 1-way valve)

I do not hear a hissing vaccuum leak at all, either in any lines or the booster.

The brakes work, but requires all my leg strength to do so. The pedal does not move or have any resistance difference with engine on/off.

Pedal moves a little bit (maybe 3/4 of an inch) then gets hard to where I'm the one doing the braking. Thinking this is more an "adjustment" thing than a sign of something working.

Car had been sitting for a while, so am thinking it could be old, bad fluid but would bad fluid alone cause these symptoms? Maybe a collapsed brake hose? But then, it does brake just with all my leg effort.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:42 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Maybe the brakes/ pistons have seized.
I would have initially said the brake booster seal but you have looked at that already.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 PM

Hmm, perhaps. Can't say I've looked at the calipers themselves, but I can rotate the tire freely so I'm guessing negative on that??

My previous lump had a leaking booster and that noise was fairly loud and obvious.. This car's engine is louder, but still can't hear anything leak-related.

Old 07-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A stuck caliper would still not explain a lack of boost. My money is on a faulty booster, if the vacuum lines check out as you say.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Another idea! Glazed rotors and pads. Even if boost is present, braking effort will not be felt. Low doefficient of friction means poor braking results.

In brake hoes, brake fade because of heat is partly that. Discs handle it better but are not immune from head indused fae as a result of glazed surfaces.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts
Default typical

Its common that the master cylinder starts to leak out the rear seal and the fluid destroys the shaft seal in the booster causing a large leak. Sounds like you've covered the basics may be time for a new master cyl and booster.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys.. Am about to get a (free) replacement booster and see where that takes me. Don't see any fluid leaks around the M.C.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

A fairly good test is when starting the engine. Press on the brake pedal with the engine off. Before start the brake pedal will be very hard, then start the engine, and as the engine starts and generates vacuum, the pedal should go softer, and the foot pressure will force it down more with the booster assistance coming in. If this doesn't happen the booster isn't working. However, if the vac lines are all up to scratch, (as you say), and you have vacuum at the port on the booster, it has to be a duff booster.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
A fairly good test is when starting the engine. Press on the brake pedal with the engine off. Before start the brake pedal will be very hard, then start the engine, and as the engine starts and generates vacuum, the pedal should go softer, and the foot pressure will force it down more with the booster assistance coming in. If this doesn't happen the booster isn't working. However, if the vac lines are all up to scratch, (as you say), and you have vacuum at the port on the booster, it has to be a duff booster.
Yeah I did this, and there is no difference with engine off and engine on. I assumed it was a bad booster but I was just confused why I didn't hear a leak.. I thought a bad booster = a leaking vacuum sound.

Old 08-19-2013, 11:05 PM

UPDATE: I replaced the S2 booster with a working one from a S3 donor. Put the check valve in the right way, and the car had the best power brakes I've had!

Then, the same day while driving, I braked and felt instantly the assist die (back to how it was when booster wasn't working).

Thinking I blew another brake booster? Thinking I may as well replace the stock ('74) Master Cylinder while I'm at it. Might be causing the failure?

P.s. now theres no assist, and a whoosh in the footwell when pressed on the brakes. Pedal does not move with vacuum.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts
Default Lump vacuum

Try a new booster $$$. Any signs of a leaking MC such as, having to add fluid, softened paint or rust near the booster mount point? Lumps with a mild cam can make lots of vaccum on decel and may rupture an old diaphragm. It may be useful to take the time to see how each booster failed. Did they both fail on the rod seal? Check the push rod and make sure its smooth and not tearing up the seal. Did the diaphragms rupture on both? If so could be too much vacuum for 30 year old rubber. If you're in the USA it may be advantageous to you to get a booster from Autozone because of their liberal return policy.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

BOOOSTER!!!

Your free booster may have been on a shelf for an extended period. thwn it's diaphragm was stiff with age and lack of use. Retrning it allowed iot to function for a time before splitting or cacking and thusly leadking vacuum with no assist.

I suspect a fresh booster will be the fix!

Old 08-20-2013, 06:43 PM

Don't see any signs of leaks from the M.C.. But it looks original and from '74 so I may as well buy a new MC too?

Originally Posted by JagCad
BOOOSTER!!!

Your free booster may have been on a shelf for an extended period. thwn it's diaphragm was stiff with age and lack of use. Retrning it allowed iot to function for a time before splitting or cacking and thusly leadking vacuum with no assist.

I suspect a fresh booster will be the fix!
Yeah probably.. It was from a S3 donor car so no doubt it was old.