Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with timing

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with timing

i have a 1984 jaguar xj6 vanden plas and its out of time is there anyone that
can tell/show me how to put it back in time? i have all new parts wires cap and so on. just no manual to help me out.

Old 04-12-2015, 04:14 AM
Received 10,352 Likes on 6,849 Posts

Firstly welcome to the forum.

Pleaase do an intro in the "New members area" when time permits.

Have you removed the distributor ????, or just all the wires and forgot where you should have started?????.

A little bit of clarification as to what you have done, are trying to do, would keep the write up more on subject, that assuming all sorts that are probably not relavent.

Firing order is 1 5 3 6 2 4, with #1 being the REAR cylinder.

The distributor rotates "anti-clockwise" as looking at the top.

The rest of the blanks will be filled in once we all know how deep you have dissmantled it.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thankyou for the welcome ill do the New members intro as soon as i get the time most likely Saturday. only day i get off work.
I got the car from a friend and he was was playing with the setting on the distributor. i know the Firing order on the wires are right just the timing for the distributor-cap is off.
i got the car running but the idle is a little hard when in gear. there for some time it would not start but i got it to where it will start every time now. there is more i need help fixing on the old girl any help would be very appreciated. This is my first jaguar and i have always wanted one so i would like to try to make her run like she was new

The bad-> left passenger window will not go up or down. sun roof will not open but did the day i got the car? oil gauge only works sometimes.

list of new parts so far ( distributor-cap. wires. plugs. water-pump. coil. distributor-rotor

Old 04-13-2015, 11:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

OK, that simplifies matters a lot. Pal was merely loosening the pinch bolt and twisting the entire distributor back and forth. Effectively advancing and retarding the timing.

That's good as that will not get the thing that far off. And it runs. Very good.

1. Find the markings on the dampener. Mark about 14 degrees before TDC. A rough "in the park number".

2. Get a strobe timing light. Attach to #1, the one nearest the fire wall.

3. Disconnect any vacuum line and plug the opening.

4. Run the engine at idle.

5. Point the strobe at the dampener. Observe the relation of the pointer on the front of the engine to the mark on the dampener. If different, adjust by turning the distributor to match. Caveat, it doesn't take much.

6. Rev up the engine. It should mark earlier than 14 BTDS. If not, the centrifugal mechanical inside the distributor are frozen stuck.

7. If there is a vacuum advance/retard bellows, it needs to be checked to see if the diaphragm inside is intact or leaking.

But, do 1-6 and report back.

If I've messed up Doug, Grant or others will straighten things out.

It's been long time, since I messed with ignition of this type.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (04-13-2015)