XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New XJ6 owner.....Starting question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New XJ6 owner.....Starting question.

Hey Folks,

I just bought my first ever Jag, a 1987 XJ6 from the original owner with every service record since new. The car looks and runs wonderful, however it does have a few rust issues on the lower sill.

The PO spent 30+ minutes going over everything related to the car and pointing out small things like loose trim, new radio funtions, fuel switch over etc. and then stated that just recentley it has become harder to start.

He stated that for the last 24 years the car would just fire right up, but of late it takes some time. Once started it has no issues at all, but in the mornings it takes a few attempts.

I did some searching but didn't really see a thread related to this issue (however, I am new and could have missed it). Could someone offer any advice on where to maybe start (no pun intended) to help eliminate this hard start issue.

Many Thanks,

Old 07-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Could be that the cold start injector isn't working
Cold Start Circuit Checklist, Jaguar XJ6 Series III

Could be a fuel drainback problem. Tomorrow morning put the gearshift in "D" and turn the key to start. You should hear the fuel pump run. Hold the key for a few seconds, release, return gearshift to "P"...and try starting the engine. Report back if it starts more easily.

Could be an old fashioned ignition problem: spark plugs, dist cap etc. Also check both ends of the coil wire....sometimes the terminal corrode.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Doug,

Putting the gearshift in "D" worked flawless, it fired right up and ideled great.

I'll also check the other items listed, and thanks for the link to the cold start injector.

Take care,

Randy

Old 07-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by RMally
Thanks Doug,

Putting the gearshift in "D" worked flawless, it fired right up and ideled great.

Randy

Ok, good, now we know that the fuel pump works with the key turned to "start" and we know that pre-pressurizing the system makes the engine start easily.

I suspect .......

1) a faulty anti-brain back valve is allowing fuel to drain out of the fuel rail

and/or

2) a weak fuel pump

A fuel pressure gauge would be very helpful if you have one. Otherwise replace the anti-drainback valve and see if it helps.

However, even IF the anti-drainback valve is faulty a strong fuel pump should repressurize the fuel system almost instantly while cranking. Evidentally is takes a few seconds for it to do so.

Check the fuel filter on general principles. It's right alongside the check valve anyway.

Post back if more details needed

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
hbovi (08-24-2011)