XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nix Is Getting New Heads!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 09:12 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Elenor would you happen to know the specs of the heads presently on the car? I'm just curious as to what degree they e different from the new ones.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,931 Likes on 5,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Elenor would you happen to know the specs of the heads presently on the car? I'm just curious as to what degree they e different from the new ones.
Thank you for your interest, Mikey,
Present heads, I'll give you the casting number: 3998993
New heads; AFR 180cc SBC "Eliminator" Street heads.

Things being as they are, you can probably get the same performance from a pair of Chevy Vortex truck heads, but these are California legal with mandated intake and exhaust systems.
(';')

Old 05-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
Thank you for your interest, Mikey,
Present heads, I'll give you the casting number: 3998993
New heads; AFR 180cc SBC "Eliminator" Street heads.

Things being as they are, you can probably get the same performance from a pair of Chevy Vortex truck heads, but these are California legal with mandated intake and exhaust systems.
(';')
Love the heads, not the rockers. If you got the 65CC the compression bump will offer some more performance. The chamber design is more detonation resistant. The combination of this and the upgrade from iron to aluminum will allow you to run more initial and total timing. That alone will really wake up the motor. Check with AFR my under standing these are there fast burn design so you only need 32 degrees of advance all in by 3500 to make great power.

The weight reduction alone is worth it. The 60lb reduction over the front wheels will be noticeable in the twisties.

Those rocker arms... not so much. Do you have to run those specifically? The lack of a roller trunnion makes them basically the same as stock. The roller tip is just a palliative and won't actually roll. All the friction and HP loss is in the ball pivot even with the slots.

Do the inspectors actually check under the valve covers in CA? If you have to run stamped steel, there are 1.6's that are not labeled. The roller tip is not necessary. Just a set 8 rockers at the 1.6 ratio on the intake only is the hot setup. If you can run full rollers there are many 1.5's to choose from. Even a low cost set of PWR rockers from ebay are fine and cost less then the Comps you have. I made many trips down the drag strip up to 6000 RPM with them. I have upgraded to Scorpions recently but the PWR are more than fine with a lazy OE cam.

Last edited by icsamerica; 05-07-2017 at 11:14 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by icsamerica:
LnrB (05-07-2017), Roger Mabry (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

No inspection in CA under the valve covers... they would not know...but keeping her car LEGAL is for her protection and her desire.

I purposely bought my S1 so I would be SMOG exempt in CA. It has Crane 1.6 rockers and Manley push rods. But I have no rules to comply with... engine put in the car in 2005 and has worked fine since the install.. just the recent conversion to TBI that helped only the starting and stopping...performance is the same as the finely tuned QJ carb.

LnrB (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by icsamerica
Love the heads, not the rockers. If you got the 65CC the compression bump will offer some more performance. The chamber design is more detonation resistant. The combination of this and the upgrade from iron to aluminum will allow you to run more initial and total timing. That alone will really wake up the motor. Check with AFR my under standing these are there fast burn design so you only need 32 degrees of advance all in by 3500 to make great power.

The weight reduction alone is worth it. The 60lb reduction over the front wheels will be noticeable in the twisties.

Those rocker arms... not so much. Do you have to run those specifically? The lack of a roller trunnion makes them basically the same as stock. The roller tip is just a palliative and won't actually roll. All the friction and HP loss is in the ball pivot even with the slots.
The problem is, roller trunnion rockers can't even be sold into California for my car. I suppose I could lie to them, and say it was for Off-Road only, but I don't like doing that.

Do the inspectors actually check under the valve covers in CA? If you have to run stamped steel, there are 1.6's that are not labeled. The roller tip is not necessary. Just a set 8 rockers at the 1.6 ratio on the intake only is the hot setup. If you can run full rollers there are many 1.5's to choose from. Even a low cost set of PWR rockers from ebay are fine and cost less then the Comps you have. I made many trips down the drag strip up to 6000 RPM with them. I have upgraded to Scorpions recently but the PWR are more than fine with a lazy OE cam.
Thanks for that info. I'll look into it for sure.
(';')

Old 05-07-2017, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
No inspection in CA under the valve covers... they would not know...but keeping her car LEGAL is for her protection and her desire.
Thank you for understanding, Roger. Husband's employer is a Federal Agency that deals with some enforcement, so we're a bit sensitive about keeping things legal.
I purposely bought my S1 so I would be SMOG exempt in CA...
Nix was built in *JANUARY* of 1976! If she was just one month older none of this would even be considered! But this was the car available at the time, and now we're paying for that impulsive purchase. No real regrets though, at least not yet.
(';')

Old 05-07-2017, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

I understand, I bought my first Jaguar, 1974 SII and it was then lumped. It had to meet all the smog rules in CA that were in effect at that time.

Eventually time passed and I was able to take off some of the smog stuff... it was sold/traded to a fellow near San Diego... I got a Mustang Convertible! He drove it off into the sunset after registering it at my local AAA...

Old 05-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Agreed on all points. Although the chamber volume before and after won't change that much (even if it's 65CC heads) the larger valves will help.

With the existing stock cam the new higher spring pressure is overkill but will do no harm.

Hopefully the advance curve will be optimized at the same time.

I think the build of this engine will be a few hundred HP away from taking out the bottom end. Not to worry.

Old 05-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 299 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
Nix was built in *JANUARY* of 1976! If she was just one month older none of this would even be considered!
(';')
I can't believe they're that **** about a month. I mean being that close to the deadline you could argue that the car was actually manufactured in 1975, it was just assembled in January 76. But I'm betting that wouldn't wash with your Beauroes. Bstds! Could be worth a try though. The worst they can say is no. & if you can raise a smile out of one, they might even treat you like a human being, & give you a break. Just don't count on it.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
No inspection in CA under the valve covers...
Husband tells me that a few years ago, in connection with his work, he had occasion to talk to one of the BAR referees about compliance. The Ref told him that local techs do indeed check under the valve covers, through the filler hole with a mirror and a light to see if any of those parts are illegal; especially if their suspicions are raised by other external components or unexpected performance numbers.

Any non-compliances are registered on the main frame for any other tech in California to see should the car come into his bay; all they have to do is run the VIN.

Although Nix has a BAR sticker of compliance, I'm thinking those shiny new alloy heads could raise a tech's suspicions in future, especially if this guy I've been dealing with is not on the job for some reason (no one stays at the same job forever). I have confidence that he won't let anything by that's glaringly out of bounds, but if we get something hinky past him, what about the next guy?

Air Resources Board has a heavy hand and absolutely No sense of humor when it comes to owners trying to pull a fast one on the system. They have been known to seize a Blatantly out compliance car (when someone tried to shine them on) and send it to the crusher.

I'll accept lower than optimum performance to avoid that.
(';')

bill70j (05-08-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,747 Likes on 7,099 Posts

I left California in '94 but well remember that the ARB lacked a sense of humor, especially after the Bar 90 regulations/system came out.

The BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) was another force to be reckoned with although they were usually on the side of good, not evil. Lots of rip-off repair shops back then. Lord help a shop who got on their bad side. Hoo boy. They'd nail you to the cross. But they would slap down consumers, too, if they were out of line or trying to pull a fast one....which does occur from time-to-time. If the shop was in the right the BAR would back 'em up unfailingly. The BAR guys were not pencil pushers. They really knew auto repair.

I was fortunate to be on the 'good side' of the BAR.....and I made damn sure to keep it that way.

One time the BAR guy visited me to ask if I was related to another "Dwyer" way up in Sacramento (I was in L.A.) they were having a hard time with and who was under investigation. Thank god I wasn't.

Cheers
DD

LnrB (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I agree, BAR seems to be just fine. Bay Area Air Quality Management District not so much.

1. BAR has busted some bad shops. Not too long ago, a well known "Muffler" shop that did other stuff. A lot unneeded...

2. My son operated an automotive machine shop for a lot of years. BAR supported him in a couple of tussles.

3. They have also acted as mediators in questionable cases, finding compromise for shop and customer.

4. A BAR referee helped me solve a SMOG inspection issue with my 79 IHC Scout II.

5. When issues arose over my Jaguar conversion with a BAR referee, a supervisor stepped and resolved them, in my favor.

6. I do know my way around. Others in the public, not so much. So, I get it. Screaming and yelling vs rational presentation....

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Doug (05-08-2017), LnrB (05-08-2017)
Old 05-08-2017, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member

Screaming and yelling Never go as far as reasonableness and calmness. Sugar vs vinegar etc. I don't like people yelling at me, why should I think others feel any different?

We Know the heads are OK, having been blessed by the Powers That Be, and the fella wants to see them anyway, so as soon as the push rods arrive I'll load everything, and the cat, in Nix's trunk and take them for show & tell, just like he asked me to.

He's a nice guy and I trust him (that says quite a lot); he's been straight with me to this point, and I have no reason to think that will change.

Updates will be forthcoming when there's more to report.
(';')

Old 05-08-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

In my experience Screamers & Yellers don't really want to resolve their issues. They want to vent their spleen, often about issues completely different to the one they're yelling about, & usually nothing to do with the person they're yelling at. Unless I'm talking to the Proprietor, I always keep in mind that I'm speaking to an Employee, & no matter how bad the issue I'm complaining about is, it's NOT they're fault. If I'm talking to a Proprietor, I might try talking to them about making improvements to their system. It depends how intractable they are about it. I don't like being yelled at either.

Last edited by scatcat; 05-08-2017 at 03:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by scatcat:
Doug (05-08-2017), LnrB (05-08-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 09:23 AM
Veteran Member

And, in between!!! in my former career, I had an interesting case. A middle aged couple sold their home in AF's Marina district. More than a few bucks then. Now, one h... of a lot of them!!! They built a custom home in the hills aside the wine country. Very elaborate. Not cheap by a long shot. But, my client's insured as the General contractor erred mightily in the exposed decks water proofing. They leaked like sieves.

My contacts with Mr. Homeowner were always to a pattern. He opened with an angry diatribe. Once he settled down, we could get down to business. We reached agreement and their home was fixed.

When folks yell and scream, at times, just letting them vent,.as stated, then talk, works.

I just had a tussle with my cable company. I did tell the rep that I wasn't mad a t her, but her employer. So, let's see what you can or can not do. I got a "bribe".

Carl ,

Old 05-10-2017, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
...I think the build of this engine will be a few hundred HP away from taking out the bottom end. Not to worry.
That was a facetious remark (probably I should use those with caution). I've only seen the bottom end blown Once (scattered all over the track). Lots of boost involved that time, which I do Not plan to employ.
(';')

Old 05-11-2017, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member

Never had a bottom end blow. Worn quite a few out, but they all held themselves together until the motor wouldn't fire any more. Put a conrod through the block of a Holden 3.3 litre straight six once. Amazingly it still got me home after it went bang, & it was a very loud bang! It rattled like a can of bolts in a cyclone on the kilometre or so home, but it got me there. Only block I've had refused as a trade in. When I asked if it was good for anything, a boat anchor was actually mentioned.

Last edited by scatcat; 05-11-2017 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

Blown out the bottom end. Guilty as charged. Three come to mind.

1. A fellow employee and I rebuilt the tired V8 in my 37 sedan. Spent too much. Ran great for a while. Then, late one night, I was going home from work. Horrendous clunks and then nothing. It quit. Starter turned it with mighty noises. Called home. Dad came and pushed me home. Necropsy In a few days. Busted crankshaft at the middle main. The cap came clean off. Pal used cotter pins on the studs, not the proper wiring together method.

2. Three of us went jack rabbit hunting one night. Got a pair of ranchers mad they took after us in a WWII surplus Dodge Weapons carrier. I floored my 34 Chevvy. Ha!!! All it had was 60 MPH. Top for the Dodge. We were not pulling away and they were not catching us. Then, Buzzzz, All six rods went loose. Dodge pulled up and a huge 45 automatic was poked in!!!! We agreed to limp in to see the sheriff. After some counseling, and a friendly deputy, they agreed to let us go. I fixed the rods, but the little Chev was never the same. I got another critter.

3. Great 47 Ford V8. After an over heat adventure and a used head to replace the cracked one, it ran, almost, but not quite OK. So, again, one night coming home on a highway, I floored it ands stayed on it. Oh, that death rattle again. Limped home. WAs OK but the rattle could be induced easily. I went in hock for a rebuilt.

4. Much later, coming home from NY to El Paso. Faily now, and our car was a 50 Chevrolet. Remembering the 34, I never drove over 60. Burnt a valve, but the rods stayed intact.

5. Short version. Spun the rods twice in our 69 Toyota FJ40Land Cruiser. Odd, it's OHV 6, was a virtual copy of a Chevvy 6!!!

Carl

Old 05-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

I think it might even be an actual copy of a Chev 6 Carl, or at least it's a rumour I've heard. A lot of Japanese car & bike makers in the 1950s bought redundant designs from Brit & US manufacturers, which they often turned into more reliable units than the ones the original designers were turning out. The mighty little four pot that Nissan bought off Austin is a prime example. Along with the parallel 650cc twin that Yamaha bought off BSA. & I think the Toyota motor had similar origins, though it could've been ****** they got it from.

Last edited by scatcat; 05-12-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Received 176 Likes on 114 Posts

We just blew the bottom end tonight in the 305. Just bought it last week too

Quick Reply: Nix Is Getting New Heads!