Veteran Member
Received 8,944 Likes on 5,292 Posts

Aw, Dang!
(';')

Old 05-13-2017, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Gary:

Indeed, the Toyota six architecture was indeed a copy. But just different enough so as to not share parts. Partly as the Japanese engine was in metric numbers.

Carl

Old 05-13-2017, 09:38 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Nice hijack guys

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (05-13-2017)
Old 05-13-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 306 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikey
Nice hijack guys
Nah! It's just a sidetrack, on a point of interest (to Carl & I, at the very least) Elinor's too experienced at getting her threads back on topic for it to become a hijack.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member

Didja ever have someone suggest something to you that seemed like a Whale of a good idea and a Lot of fun at the time, andja got a bit excited at the prospect, only to find as time went on, little (or not) problems started to pop up that made you think again?

Nothing really serious, mind you, only very annoying separately, and you dealt with the first one (whew! dodged that one), and the second one (got by with that!), but by the time the third one surfaced you're thinking, "I wonder if this is such a good idea after all," and you start having second thoughts about the whole plan which by now is getting Really complicated and time is moving on with no real progress.

Then just One more thing happens (number 4), and you say, "That's it! I'm done. This is not gonna happen this way," and you back away, with a strange sense relief.

Putting new heads on Nix has simply become too complicated to do the way husband wants to do it. To do it *RIGHT* (and there's absolutely no sense doing otherwise) another engine/trans should be built up as a unit; engine should have a Complete rebuild including new pistons, cam etc., and the trans should have a good quality shift kit installed and locking TC.

This will happen Only if the engine/trans are completed before Nix is disabled. That means a finished unit sitting on the shop floor ready to go. At that time, a "simple" drive train swap with minimum downtime would be acceptable.

This piece-meal foolishness just feels wrong. I'm backing away for now.
(';')

Old 05-30-2017, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts

Which is why I designed and had built the current new ZZ4 short block, added the proper Comp cam and rockers and the Edelbrock heads and Performer intake for my desired use. It has lots of low RPM torque and makes for a fine street motor... I do not race or otherwise abuse the car... just drive it with "spirit".

Then ran it on a engine dyno as proof it would do what I wanted... then I pulled the old engine (trans had already been installed as proof it would work well) and installed the new one. Once in the car and running I spent a lot of time trying to make the custom QJ Jet carb run with more economy (finally just converted to fuel injection).

Today, I would just purchase a new Mast LS7 motor and the new GM six speed automatic transmission complete... or even one of GM's crate motor/trans packages..

The following 2 users liked this post by Roger Mabry:
LnrB (06-01-2017), ronbros (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 04:44 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
Then just One more thing happens (number 4), and you say, "That's it! I'm done. This is not gonna happen this way," and you back away, with a strange sense relief.

This piece-meal foolishness just feels wrong. I'm backing away for now.
(';')
That is how Dr Phill & I were thinking when my head needed rebuilding. Breaking a stud while replacing the head turned into a very quick decision to source a complete short motor and do the job once.

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
LnrB (06-01-2017), Roger Mabry (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member

I've always found that going back to basics is the best at to start a rebuild. Of course you do realise that it won't just stop with the drivetrain package. Because once that's been improved it's sure to show up any shortfalls in the handling/stopping part of the deal, which you're going to want to address. How do I know? What's keeping my S3 off the road right now is the rear suspension work, who's shortcomings my new motor highlighted immediately. & I've a long history of hotting up cars beyond what their stock suspensions can cope with. In fact I usually do it the other way around these days, making sure a car can always stop & steer better than it can accelerate.

LnrB (06-01-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member

Thank you all for your comments and attention.
Fortunately, not a single important bolt was loosened before I came to my senses, nor will there be until a completely finished unit as described, sits ready for installation. Until that time I fully intend to continue driving the wheels off the car.
(';')

The following 5 users liked this post by LnrB:
Daf11e (05-31-2017), Grant Francis (05-31-2017), JagCad (10-29-2022), o1xjr (05-31-2017), Roger Mabry (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:43 AM
Received 176 Likes on 114 Posts

I am so shocked by your guys attitudes on this haha. I would have just ripped into it for a couple hours and got the job done. Took me less than three days to pull the engine in my car, rebuild it myself, and reinstall. It definitely helped that I had a garage to stick it in during that timeperiod. That also was my first engine rebuild so heres hoping it survives forever.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 10,306 Likes on 6,818 Posts

Well done Elinor.

The arena of "while we are in this far" was getting waaaaaay to large, even for me.

The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
Daf11e (05-31-2017), LnrB (05-31-2017), o1xjr (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
I am so shocked by your guys attitudes on this haha. I would have just ripped into it for a couple hours and got the job done. Took me less than three days to pull the engine in my car, rebuild it myself, and reinstall. It definitely helped that I had a garage to stick it in during that timeperiod. That also was my first engine rebuild so heres hoping it survives forever.
I can appreciate both ways. I'm more of the rip in to it kind of guy and I often get side tracked with mission creep. The Jag is not my primary car so if it's laid up for a while it's ok. No everyone can deal with that.

If you read the interwebs long enough one can get scared off from doing anything. The more you read the more you feel you will have to do. For example many would suggest before putting on the heads to deck the block and then check piston to valve clearance etc. This phenomenon is especially so with Chevy stuff becasue there are literally a 1/2 dozen types of head gaskets to choose from. Even proper spark plug selection can arouse fierce debates. The more people you talk to the more you will be confused and sometimes even feel pressured.

Last edited by icsamerica; 05-31-2017 at 01:54 PM.
LnrB (06-01-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

We got majorly bitten (more like ripped to shreds) by Project Creep while doing a "simple" rebush of the front suspension during 2014-2015 (the car had been criminally neglected for probably 20 of the previous 30 years). A job that should have taken maybe 3 months at the outside with a lot of dinkin' around, took no fewer than TEN months to get the car back on the road with serious delays and Nasty surprises nearly every week!

It stops well now (4 new calipers, MC+booster), goes where I point it when I point it without arguing (new rack and bushings) until I let go the wheel when it straightens out in a timely manner, corners like it's on rails so I guess that was all worth it in the end.

However, I'm no longer willing to have the car so completely disabled for so long again if that can be avoided. So, as mentioned earlier, I fully intend to drive it like I stole it until I break something that will justify the aforementioned complete engine/trans rebuild and replacement.

If that's a shocking attitude, well, I'm thinking some people are easily shocked.
(';')

The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
Doug (06-01-2017), Grant Francis (06-01-2017), Roger Mabry (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 06:35 PM

Building a complete spare engine sounds like a perfect project for HWMO, in his spare time of course. Idle hands etc.

LnrB (06-01-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 08:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mad Hatter
That only works if you have the money, time, workshop & skills to get the job done. I'm fairly certain that it's the money & time part of that quartet that Elinor is short of. The job was just getting too big to be done in the time available. & building another engine while getting the last use out of the old Mill sounds like common sense to me, & is far from procrastinating.

The following 2 users liked this post by scatcat:
LnrB (05-31-2017), Roger Mabry (06-01-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
Building a complete spare engine sounds like a perfect project for HWMO, in his spare time of course. Idle hands etc.
What makes you think he'll be doing it, Mikey?

Originally Posted by scatcat
That only works if you have the money, time, workshop & skills to get the job done. I'm fairly certain that it's the money & time part of that quartet that Elinor is short of. The job was just getting too big to be done in the time available. & building another engine while getting the last use out of the old Mill sounds like common sense to me, & is far from procrastinating.
Yes, thank you, Gary, you're absolutely right. All the rain this season has put me SO far behind in my work that I might get caught up by August. Besides that, I want to actually DRIVE the car on nice days (not to mention club trips). Like my dad used to say, "Use it up, wear it out."
(';')

Old 06-01-2017, 04:54 AM
Received 10,306 Likes on 6,818 Posts

However,

Driving a Jaguar in that many will have it storming around forever. No matter whats under the lid.

Also,

I simply CANNOT imagine the table time discussions if Hubby did that spare engine, it has Elinor splashed all over it in my opinion. Hubby will be the "go getter" and wil luv every minute of it.

Like my daughter long ago, who came home with a S2 4.2 with only 5cyls working. She knew Dad had a spare remachined engine under wraps in the shed. I conceded, as Dads do, but SHE built that engine, and installed it, and I had the BIG stick for the mistakes. Never got a whack in, she learnt well.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 06-01-2017 at 04:58 AM.
LnrB (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB
What makes you think he'll be doing it, Mikey?
So you'll be building it? Even better.

LnrB (06-01-2017)
Old 11-03-2017, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Default November!

As I was coming home the other night, Nix acted like she was pulling a trailer; a BIG trailer that was getting bigger all the time. If I had a Restricted Performance light it would have been not only lit, but Flashing!

As I mentioned, it was night and a bit cloudy so it was DARK, and I naturally had headlights on.

About 3 miles from the house the IGNITION light came on full bright with absolutely no warning! OK, so I've lost yet another alternator. I just put this one on about 3 months ago. As I was muttering under my breath about the garbage rebuilt equipment we get now I began to smell burning rubber.

Quick check of all gauges, nothing seemed amiss; temp normal, not charging a lot of course, but not in the basement either and I still had good lights. Oil still at 40psi. So I pressed on with burning rubber not especially getting any worse which surprised me.

After I got into the garage, I opened the hood, but could see nothing glaringly wrong, but burned rubber was Very strong. I really thought I the seized alternator was slipping the belt. Morning would tell me after it all cooled off enough to touch things.

She got me home before the belt caught fire! Good Girl!!

I got the alternator off, it spins Just Fine! So I looked closely at the air pump just below, wouldn't turn. That's the culprit! It was all clear to me now; as it got stiffer it dragged down the engine until the pump seized, stopping the belt, stopping the alternator, tripping the warning light.

Well that was just Dandy, because Saturday was the last Jag Club drive of the year and I already made reservations, so I would have to take Brand X, Sonata the Adequate Vehicle.

Bummer!!

After a minimum of conversation and thought, NOW seems the time for Nix to be laid up for the several months it will take to R&R an engine (completely) and give her a NEW Transmission (current one has runaway in 1-2, 2-3, 3-4)!

Most of the parts are already in-house. Only a few details need to be addressed before work commences to start to proceed to begin.

ONWARD!!
(';')

The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
Grant Francis (11-04-2017), jagent (11-04-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 01:58 AM
Received 3,813 Likes on 2,789 Posts

Well done getting home safely......let the magic begin.....best of luck!

LnrB (11-04-2017)

Quick Reply: Nix Is Getting New Heads!