Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy AC fans

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 01:45 PM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts
Unhappy Noisy AC fans

Hi,
What a great resource this forum is - quality replies every time!
My S3 XJ6 1985 has noisy AC fans. What can I do without tearing the car apart? Is there a "modern" moter that will push more air?

Old 09-29-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

I really hate to disappoint you, but No, there is nothing you can do but tear the dash apart, disassemble and lube the fans, then reassemble your car. On the up side, if you do it thoroughly (I did mine over the winter) you'll Never have to do it Ever again and they'll run as quiet as new!

I don't know about different motors, but I do know that a well lubed pair fans pushes a Lot of air! If you don't have the flow you want, perhaps the intake under the windshield is full of leaves, feathers and Stuff.

My fans have 2 speeds; Low and High. High speed pushes air into the back seat, making it quite comfortable for anyone sitting there, especially when I also open the rear vent.
(';')

Old 09-29-2017, 05:26 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I broke my cherry taking apart an 86 xj6 back in 08. What an education that and this forum gave me.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

if anyone ever makes a silent air con system for an automobile, beside interior fans, its the outside engine fans when car is stopped in a parking lot that really has most Mercedes Benz owners unhappy,3 electric fans at full tilt can make a racket! 100+ ambient temps.

Mercedes is offering 1 million dollars. it is worth a lot to middle east people.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I have noticed a trend in the past year that is very ridiculous if not abusive, it happens day and night:

people sitting in their car for up to 1 hour with engine idling, doing their Facebook or e-mail. At night, they do it with headlights ON.

The wear that must be happening in those engines!! Burnt oil too. Very stupid behavior.

Back in the 1960's, I was taught to get in the car, turn the engine on, and drive away.
No "warming up" the engine in Winter either. Just DRIVE AWAY. When arriving, park the car and shut the engine off. No idling unless you are adjusting the carbs or checking the auto transmission fluid.

But not nowadays: Example: I go to the supermarket, parked next to an idling Toyota, went in, did my grocery shopping, took me around 35 minutes, then another 10 minutes in line to pay, when I came out and got to my car, the retard was still idling the car and I could see the phone light inside the car.

45 minutes of idling. The amount of wasted fuel, and the exhaust fumes being dumped, while they play their facebook game. No kidding.

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by iramphal
Is there a "modern" moter that will push more air?
I'm not aware of anyone working out any upgrades. The originals seem to be OK for most people in terms of air flow. I wondering if there's some other problem?

Cheers
DD

Old 09-30-2017, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
My fans have 2 speeds; Low and High. High speed pushes air into the back seat, making it quite comfortable for anyone sitting there, especially when I also open the rear vent.
(';')
You should have 4 speeds. But the middle two are available only in 'auto' mode. The system's brain decides when to use them.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (09-30-2017)
Old 09-30-2017, 07:47 AM
Received 222 Likes on 120 Posts

Thanks LnrB,
Any suggestions on how to remove the grill you mentioned?

Old 09-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Veteran Member

Hello again, Ian,
To remove that grill, you first pull off the washer nozzle, and then, I think just pry up the grill. But as yours might be plastic, you'll probably want to do that carefully.

I've never had mine off because there's a screen under it that catches all but the finest detritus.
(';')

Old 09-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
You should have 4 speeds. But the middle two are available only in 'auto' mode. The system's brain decides when to use them.

Cheers
DD
Thank you, Doug,
When we got the car, the PO said, "Put it on AUTO and leave it there" so I have.

I'm only aware of 2 speeds (ya can't miss HIGH), but I'm usually moving down the road at a pretty good clip when they come on and wind noise is fairly strong, so the middle speeds might escape my notice.

I'll pay more attention in future.
(';')