Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parcel shelf speaker upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default Parcel shelf speaker upgrade

I am sure i will upset the purists with this but the music in the car is just lacking!!
a few months back when i first took back glass out i added some cheap speakers back in the parcel shelf basically just to see if it could be done!! and it can!

Well glass is going back in soon and i figured its now or never! so i yanked the cheapies out and went with something a little nicer, I didnt want big speakers showing so going with a normal two or three way was out as the shelf cover would just muffle it, so i went with a component setup!

I had to rebuild the parcel shelf cover as it was all crumbly from a window leak, so you know why the back side is not normal looking !

I only cut holes in the board itself, not in the cover, it helps to maintain the classy look, i wish however i had found something where the tweeters were black, alas time was running out and i had to get them in!

They are currently just hooked to the sony head unit and sound amazing in comparison to the door speakers! i will be getting a small amp and then running all door speakers on head and these ones on the amp!! This is not a boom boom system, just an amazing upgrade to a lacking system!

These speakers come with their own crossover too, no pics of that installed as they are just sitting in the mess that is the trunk right now, but i will add some when o get them mounted along with the amp!!

I really did try to keep it as stock looking as i could !!!!

Attached Thumbnails Parcel shelf speaker upgrade-dscf1532.jpg   Parcel shelf speaker upgrade-dscf1533.jpg   Parcel shelf speaker upgrade-dscf1534.jpg   Parcel shelf speaker upgrade-dscf1536.jpg   Parcel shelf speaker upgrade-dscf1538.jpg  

Parcel shelf speaker upgrade-dscf1539.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Darrenmb:
csdeneen3 (02-27-2021), Geewhite (03-25-2021), john_cook12 (10-26-2014)
Old 10-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Good job but I would not cover them, instead grill them. The trunk / boot will act as a speaker cabinet.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

they are only covered by the foam and vinyl, i cut holes in the board itself! the speaker grilles are funky looking, look like wheels from a donk!

The following users liked this post:
S.Bunzel (10-29-2014)
Old 01-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Default udpdate!!!!

well, the amp that i ordered back in november finally showed up, nothing major, a small pioneer 400 watt 2 channel one, with gain turned up it really makes a lot of base, a bit too much for my liking, so i turned Gain way down and fiddled with crossovers and now it sounds AMAZING Deep Rich Base (but not to the point stuff falls off the shelf in the garage like when i first hooked it up) beautiful mids from the doors and the tweeters in back throw the highs nicely!! you can turn it up very loud and its still crystal clear!!! just really loud!! heres the link to the head unit i am running!!! I love it too!
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...evisit-129187/

Old 01-16-2015, 04:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Cover the parcel and use punched holes - no grilles

I just finished upgrading my old '72 Jag for the new owner.. he wanted modern sounds.

Tweeters in the dash pad and front doors... a speaker box in the "boot/trunk" with a parcel tray covered with door panel material, foam, speaker cloth and vinyl.
Note that the "hat" is gone... that airflow out of the cabin removes hot air and AC air... not a great thing when you have working wing windows! Plus, the Series
1 has the front upper grill that can be redirected to bring in fresh air to the side vents on the dash or the fascia vents.

Note the holes properly punched and no grilles... the door speakers front and rear were upgraded as well.

The amp and assorted other pieces are on the trunk upper shelf. Bass speakers are in the middle section. It is just a Kenwood radio with Bluetooth etc.

Sounds GREAT!

Attached Thumbnails Parcel shelf speaker upgrade-speaker-box-ready-mount-car.jpg   Parcel shelf speaker upgrade-tweeters-dash-pad.jpg   Parcel shelf speaker upgrade-tweeters-dash-pad.jpg   Parcel shelf speaker upgrade-package-try-holes.jpg   Parcel shelf speaker upgrade-imag1534.jpg  

Parcel shelf speaker upgrade-imag1533.jpg  

Last edited by Roger Mabry; 01-16-2015 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Forgotten pictures
Old 12-12-2021, 04:55 PM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Roger Mabry
I just finished upgrading my old '72 Jag for the new owner.. he wanted modern sounds.

Tweeters in the dash pad and front doors... a speaker box in the "boot/trunk" with a parcel tray covered with door panel material, foam, speaker cloth and vinyl.
Note that the "hat" is gone... that airflow out of the cabin removes hot air and AC air... not a great thing when you have working wing windows! Plus, the Series
1 has the front upper grill that can be redirected to bring in fresh air to the side vents on the dash or the fascia vents.

Note the holes properly punched and no grilles... the door speakers front and rear were upgraded as well.

The amp and assorted other pieces are on the trunk upper shelf. Bass speakers are in the middle section. It is just a Kenwood radio with Bluetooth etc.

Sounds GREAT!
I know this post was from awhile ago, but did you have to remove the water catch pan in the trunk to put speakers in the rear deck?