XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stereo revisit!

Old 10-19-2014, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default stereo revisit!

A while back i asked about stereos and ideas for stuff not all flashy, something pretty subdued, well i think i have found what i am looking for.. FINALLY!! it has no cd player, which is a plus as currecnt one has one that i never use, plus depth of existing radio means it it hard to get into hole and has to be really forced back into the hole, so of course after a while it gets hot and sound quality really diminishes!

The new one i am looking at is a Pioneer mvh-x560bt, its only about 4 inches deep!!!!! plenty of breathing room in the rear! its blue tooth and has usb and ipod controls etc! anyone using one of these? not sure i trust the reviews on the websites!

Old 10-19-2014, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

I'm still using the original stereo in my 1984 so I can't comment.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Veteran Member

mine came with a huge hole and no ac sliding mechanism, PO had butchered entire area!! had to get new piece from ebay!!!

Old 10-20-2014, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Jose
I'm still using the original stereo in my 1984 so I can't comment.
mmmmmm.....cassettes?

Old 10-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by yarpos
mmmmmm.....cassettes?
yes, nothing but cassettes. I never made the move to CD's, don't like them, they sound "cold".

What I regret most is having sold a Pioneer 8-track tape player, I still have all my 8-track tapes from the 1960's. I also have all my vinyl records.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jose:
Saemetric (10-20-2014), yarpos (10-20-2014)
Old 10-20-2014, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
yes, nothing but cassettes. I never made the move to CD's, don't like them, they sound "cold".

What I regret most is having sold a Pioneer 8-track tape player, I still have all my 8-track tapes from the 1960's. I also have all my vinyl records.
ahhh memories, the first time we really had portable personal music and the first time we could make compilations, before such things were taken for granted. 8 track never got traction here, adoption times were longer then and they got run over by cassettes.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,929 Likes on 5,281 Posts

None of the radio/stereos in any of my vehicles work; most especially my Jaguar which stereo was never even connected to the speakers at the time of conversion in 1986!

I like it that way. They're only a distraction.

Growing up on the farm one had to keep an ear tuned to the machine so one knew when something was amiss.

One of the JF members has a sig line to the effect that a stereo keeps him from hearing what's going wrong. I agree.
(';')

Old 10-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member

I have tried the whole no radio thing. Then i obsess over every little rattle clink and pop. Most of time coming from.other cars. Its kinda like turning off the ac and opening the windows. Is that smell coming from me? Am i burning oil? Is that burnt rubber? Am i losing a belt? I dont have the time for all those things, lifes short, enjoy it! Do what makes you happy!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
A while back i asked about stereos and ideas for stuff not all flashy, something pretty subdued, well i think i have found what i am looking for.. FINALLY!! it has no cd player, which is a plus as currecnt one has one that i never use, plus depth of existing radio means it it hard to get into hole and has to be really forced back into the hole, so of course after a while it gets hot and sound quality really diminishes!

The new one i am looking at is a Pioneer mvh-x560bt, its only about 4 inches deep!!!!! plenty of breathing room in the rear! its blue tooth and has usb and ipod controls etc! anyone using one of these? not sure i trust the reviews on the websites!
Back to your original question and apologies for the thread drift. Really if its just a basic head unit replacement its hard to go wrong with the major brands if you find the look you are after. I found an Alpine unit that had a simple low key front panel and went with that. Never had them before but , like Pioneer , they have been making this stuff for decades and most likely have it worked out. Hope you enjoy the product and the nice finished look you get back at the end.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Looks like a great choice, Darren. Did you find any other models that are small like the Pioneer mvh-x560bt?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member

I found two, both by pioneer! this is the better of the two! I guess most manufacturers simply use the same body so even with no cd player they are still deep, although im sure a standard cd player would fit ok, i don't use cds anymore, so there's no point! plus being shorter it would breath better back in the hole!

The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (10-21-2014)
Old 10-21-2014, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I am quite hearing impaired. But, I like chatter. I've a "boom box" in the shop that is always on something. Casette only. No CD! Same in the patio. but that boom box is pitiful. I even made a little cabin for it!!! Just for the fun, from an old pallet.

I have two 8 track machines. Both not connected to anything. And, a bunch of tapes as well. trouble is they will probably bust if used.

The Jaguar has it's original radio/cassette unit. Works OK. As well as it ever did I suspect. Fiddly, though and mounted to low to pay much attention to it and not lose sight of the road. I have a demo tape for it. Kinda neat to hear the English guy extolling the virtues of an XJ6!! But, I've some country gals and guys there as well. Cassettes, not CD's

The Jeep has a "fancy" radio with weird controls. Sounds decent at times. CD only, no cassette.

Now, I do have a Star wars looking "boom box" that does CD's. But, few CD's.

Oh, and two spare Jaguar XJ6 radios on the shelf!!!

Some of my older cars had 8 tracks. I had a lot of good music to play in them.

I have my grandma's Gramaphone. Crank up style in place of honor in the living room. Some old vinyl as well. But, it's steel needle eats records.

And a weird Asian turn table radio combo. Lousy sound, though. It remains silent.

And, my older Dell has a neat Harmon Cardon speaker system. When it works, it sounds great.

This Dell has built in speakers as does the HP monitor that I use most. Sound less than admirable, so I leave it mute.

Carl

Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Darrenmb
I found two, both by pioneer! this is the better of the two! I guess most manufacturers simply use the same body so even with no cd player they are still deep, although im sure a standard cd player would fit ok, i don't use cds anymore, so there's no point! plus being shorter it would breath better back in the hole!
Ya it's no joke trying to get my full-size Sony head unit all the way in. No luck yet! I was looking at a higher-priced Kenwood unit (the Sony doesn't have BT) but I think you have just sold me on the Pioneer.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

i am only allotted so much money a month to spend on my jag, already spent this months allowance on brake pads and speakers! ( easier to swap out the rear deck ones with no glass in and glass is going back in soon! i hope) the pioneer is cheaper on amazon than the pioneer site, its already in my wish list for next month!!

Old 10-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Looks good and should sound very nice. I'm not sure about the ease of functionality with just the one knob and no buttons.
My Kenwood only has two and it's a pain to use.
Hopefully there'll be a lot more of these sort of head units by the time I get (started) on my project!!

Old 10-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 86 S3 XJ6 - OEM Radio need the

Greetings,
I have a 86 XJ6 Base that I am restoring and was able to find an OEM Jaguar Radio Cassette and installed it with ease and it still works perfectly. However... I need to find the ESCUTCHEON (OEM part# JLM407 -- the plastic part that goes around the radio's edge to hide the area where it is inserted into the dash) for the OEM Jaguar Radio Cassette. So... any help or hope in finding one is appreciated.

Also... any tips on troubleshooting my automatic antenna ? It does not raise up when the radio is turned on and so I want to be able to test the circuit and wiring before I tear into the rear fender and try to replace the antenna itself.

- Thanks

Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

1. For the radio trim piece, David Boger at everydayxj. Good guy, lots of good used and some NOS stuff. Posts here at times. Two businesses to run, one jaguar parts and the other in construction.

2. Way back when, the unit in my 85 Ford F150 4x4 bit the dust. I thought I scored a later Ford Taurus unit. Neat, the wires were quite similar. A bit of carving on the old trim and it fit and looked like it belonged. But, no noise at all or even lights. At the time, I did not realize it probably needed a code reset, a theft prevention thing.
so, off to the parts place. found a simple unit with a few bells and whistles. I got it to fit nicely. It lit right up and made good music. Not a budget killer, either.

In the mid 50's I got a job with a nationwide insurance company. Not the present one bearing that name. Very conservative and the cars furnished were strictly plain janes.
I was told it wasn't that long ago, that heaters were authorized. Several of us added radios. Company said OK, but eave the antenas in. No holes when trade in time came. 12v cars. Cheap radios were 6v's. So, we rigged under the dash installs.
Some bought dropping resistors. I didn't like that idea. heat and cost extra money.
My solution was a screw to center tap. Any speaker mounted in the OEM location worked fine. simple stuff, no frills, AM only, nada more. But, much better on those long runs in West Texas and southern New Mexico.

But, wow, when I was promoted to an office in El Centro, my plan jane 57 Chevrolet had radio and AC!!!! Still AM only, but wth???

Carl

The following users liked this post:
mkprator (10-30-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 03:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. Lady J stilled had orginal stereo. Wasnt working either untill i went through the owners manual had the security code. It worked. And a bonus, at this time stereos justed started to come out with jack point for portable CD's cable straight to my phone i have all my choice music available.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

I ordered the stereo and some extension cords for the usb and aux lines that actually have a mount rather than just having wires laying loose in center cubby!
will post again when its installed with pics, may take a while as im wondering if depth is correct it may go where trip computer is, we shall see!!! more to follow!

Old 11-01-2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mkprator
... any tips on troubleshooting my automatic antenna ? It does not raise up when the radio is turned on and so I want to be able to test the circuit and wiring before I tear into the rear fender and try to replace the antenna itself.

- Thanks
Any luck? Assuming you connected the wire from the radio that has 12v only with the key on, to the antenna power wire in the car's harness...I'd start by looking for 12v at the antenna itself and if not work backward toward the head unit looking for an inline fuse that has blown. There are some behind the passenger footwell panel that has the heater vent in it (photo), maybe one of those?

Attached Thumbnails stereo revisit!-img_1866.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stereo revisit!