XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about depth behind the dash...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 02:30 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Question about depth behind the dash...

I realize this is somewhat of a double post, and I apologize, but this forum seems to get a lot more traffic than the audio/electronics forum: Can anyone tell me whether the room behind the four rocker switches on a Series III dashboard (the area above the radio) is similar to the depth found behind the radio itself?

I may be about to embark on a project to install a double-DIN radio with touchscreen and navigation in a Series III car but it's not going to work if I don't have enough depth there. Full post is on the Audio forum if you want to read the longer version.

Jess

*mods: If I start getting answers in this thread I'll delete my other one.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Short answer is no! If you pull out the trip computer you will see.depth is about 2.5- 3 inches if i recall correctly.

Old 11-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts

I was afraid of that. I'm assuming it's the HVAC box that's back there that I'm running into?

Here's the post from the other forum (tried to delete the post over there and couldn't; mods feel free to take it down):

---

I'm about to be the owner of either a 1986 or 1987 XJ6. I have plenty of experience with stereo systems in other cars but I haven't attempted yet what I want to do with this car: I want to mount a double-DIN radio with nav in the dash of a Series III XJ6.

To do this, I know I'll have to create some kind of trim from scratch to enclose the four rocker switches on the dash and the A/C controls. Then, I'll have to create a double-DIN opening using the opening for the standard radio plus the space taken up by the leaper emblem above it, and maybe move the rocker switchgear around. What I need to know, from anyone who has disassembled an XJ6 dash before (I have not), is whether I have enough depth behind the dash to pull it off. These radios are a bit deeper than a standard radio. I previously had it installed in a 2003 S-Type and it was a tight fit.

I have a professional cabinet maker/woodworker who is going to do the trim panel for me, after I present the final design.

I know the radio and A/C controls are more recessed than the panel that is just above it (four switches plus Leaper emblem). What does the depth look like behind this panel?

Here is the head unit I'll be using: Clarion U.S.A. | NX700

This is going to be a fairly trick system in the end: three old-school PPI amps, Orion HCCA and Altec Lansing ALS components, G&S Redline subs. I want to use the Clarion head unit if possible, too.

Jess

Old 11-27-2015, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

WOW!!!

Way above my pay grade and ears. The latter in poor condition.
sophisticated hearing aids make 'ordinary" sounds available.

Too many 90 mm's and 50 caliber rounds.... No sound protection in that era....

Carl

Old 11-27-2015, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by JessN16
I was afraid of that. I'm assuming it's the HVAC box that's back there that I'm running into?

Here's the post from the other forum (tried to delete the post over there and couldn't; mods feel free to take it down):

---

I'm about to be the owner of either a 1986 or 1987 XJ6. I have plenty of experience with stereo systems in other cars but I haven't attempted yet what I want to do with this car: I want to mount a double-DIN radio with nav in the dash of a Series III XJ6.

To do this, I know I'll have to create some kind of trim from scratch to enclose the four rocker switches on the dash and the A/C controls. Then, I'll have to create a double-DIN opening using the opening for the standard radio plus the space taken up by the leaper emblem above it, and maybe move the rocker switchgear around. What I need to know, from anyone who has disassembled an XJ6 dash before (I have not), is whether I have enough depth behind the dash to pull it off. These radios are a bit deeper than a standard radio. I previously had it installed in a 2003 S-Type and it was a tight fit.

I have a professional cabinet maker/woodworker who is going to do the trim panel for me, after I present the final design.

I know the radio and A/C controls are more recessed than the panel that is just above it (four switches plus Leaper emblem). What does the depth look like behind this panel?

Here is the head unit I'll be using: Clarion U.S.A. | NX700

This is going to be a fairly trick system in the end: three old-school PPI amps, Orion HCCA and Altec Lansing ALS components, G&S Redline subs. I want to use the Clarion head unit if possible, too.

Jess
Just a heads up, i put a very small amp in trunk and added two 6 inch woofers to parcel shelf, sounds great under normal use, fills the cabin with nice full sound as opposed to the 4 tiny door speakers, however........ as i posted in another post, when daughter gets in car and takes over the radio, her music has a lot of base, and it really sounds terrible due.to the trunk lid springs vibrating so close.to the hinge. I wrapped springs in electrical tape and it.got rid of the metal on metal clang, but you can still hear it hitting! This is all with a 160 watt amp and two 6s