XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Rebuild/Restoration finally begins

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Talking The Rebuild/Restoration finally begins

So i saved this car from going to scrap about a year ago. its been the most fun rewarding (infuriating) car Ive driven. But engine problems (surging and leaks) a rusted gas tank and a leaky borg 66 have forced my hand into taking everything off and starting over from square one.

Now Ive built the engine thats going to be taking the place of the ever so reliable XK 4.2L. A 350 small block out of a 1970 z28 making about 410hp/tq (ish) at the crank (i've upgraded and worked every aspect of the motor now).

I've read that the small block swap is possible and somewhat ?easy? I found trans dapt engine swap engine mounts. would it be a good idea to use these? http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/trd-9906 ??

also im looking into getting a 4l60e or a 700r4 (which ever one i can get in better condition for cheaper). im looking into swapping the rear end aswell. Has anyone swapped the center sections and axles? How did that work out for you? (dana center section i hear is good)?

Last question, are there any companies that have suspension upgrades, I'm ok with using the oe spec shocks struts and coils from SNG Barret, the front springs and shocks were replaced and it made an enormous difference.

Sorry if im all over the place but im really excited to start working on this beauty.

A week after I bought it last year
The Rebuild/Restoration finally begins-wqehcbi.jpg

Old 09-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

All right!!!

Same color as mine, Grosvenor Brown. Lady visitor admired mine, even if it is need of a bath!!

The transmission you mention are very similar. One is electronic and the other manual controlled. If you use FI and PCM, it will mange the 4l60E very nicely.
A stand alone device is available for the 4L60E.

If the 2.88 Dana is healthy, it will do just fine. Nice long legs for the freeway in the .70 OD.

My stock 5.7 LT1 has more than enough suds to pull those tall gears.

Enjoy.

Carl

Old 09-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

I've done all of this and more....so do some searching for details.

SBC converts are great, with 700R4 and gears they are even better.

My first convert...I made my own mounts, never again, order a kit from Jaguar Specialties.

Rear diff changes are not straight forward but doable. I highly recommend a 3:31 or 3:54 gear.

As for the suspensions, KYB shocks will stiffen up the ride significantly.

Old 09-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts
Default wheels

Anyone have any info on the wheels on this car??? i love them, they would look great on my racing green car!!! i have always wanted spokes but have heard nothing but bad things about them! ie spokes coming loose, hard to clean high unsprung weight. etc etc
Perhaps i should clarify before i get the "its a lattice wheel" response, I like the gold center part, is that a factory finish or was it done later, etc, if its a factory wheel i would like to know the part number..

Last edited by Darrenmb; 09-05-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

What a fun adventure! I'll be watching.
You'll like the 700R4. Get you off the line quickly but good cruising too.
(';')

Old 09-05-2014, 10:39 PM

thanks ill keep searching and stockpiling parts. The wheels are bbs mags i believe and they are for sale. ive had them sand blasted and primered. let me know.

Old 09-06-2014, 05:45 AM
Veteran Member

The wheels look like the ones on my car. A friendly local KIWI upgraded his beautiful XJS. They were offered for free. Pristine, as his car and his home.

It was time for new tires, so I had them mounted on the lattice wheels.

I did shop EBAY for the center caps.

Carl

Old 09-09-2014, 03:48 AM
DJG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great stuff.

Keep us updated with lots of pic's of the conversion.

How about some pic's of the new motor to start.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sunchip
thanks ill keep searching and stockpiling parts. The wheels are bbs mags i believe and they are for sale. ive had them sand blasted and primered. let me know.
I guess that means they are no longer gold... do you have a price in mind??

Old 09-09-2014, 09:17 AM

heres a photo of the new engine. 350 chevy small block, .500/.512 lift cams, 1.5 ratio compcams roller rockers, 11:1 compression. I'm hoping it'll be over 400 at the crank.

The Rebuild/Restoration finally begins-qubh1ox.png
The Rebuild/Restoration finally begins-mtx1xdx.jpg

as for the wheels, they had a trash paint job peeling chipping and just plain bad. Im almost done sanding and priming them so if you want them as is primed then 450$ CAD plus shipping.

The Rebuild/Restoration finally begins-lxgxfg3.png

Old 09-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts

Oooooooo!! Pretty Rockers!! Shiny things!!

I just showed husband that pic and asked, "Can I have some of those??" And he took me into his room in his closet and showed me a box of BLACK ONES to match my car!!

And then he said if there's any way the smog cops can see down into my valve covers I can't run them because the SMOG cops stick a mirror in and if they see roller rockers it's an illegal engine modification (for MY car) and they fail it. Well, there is. Through the oil filler.

More STUPID California laws!! What possible bearing can rockers have on emissions??!!

<sigh>
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 09-09-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:06 PM

ok quick question, ive found new aftermarket calipers for 180$ each and the rebuild kit is 50 bucks.. should i bite the bullet and go with new or just clean and refresh the old?

Old 09-25-2014, 11:17 AM

ive got my hands on a nova rear axle. how should i go about putting it in the car? should i try to put it into the stock subframe? fab something new? has anyoe done this and have any suggestions for me?

The following users liked this post:
Giovanni LiCalsi (01-13-2015)
Old 09-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah!!!

Don't do it. large amount of work to degrade the car. The IRS is far better than the Nova suspension ever hoped to be. Even a simplified air bag or coil over keeps a solid axle.

And, the GM 10 or 12 bolt isn't even close to being as strong as the Dana 44 based differential.

Not to mention the inherent weakness of the Nova's circlip retained axles!!!!

Sorry for the rant. My apologies. But, I sure agree, it is your car to do with as you see fit or unfit either!! weak pun.

Carl

Old 09-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Be sure to build the engine for low rpm torque (cam)

Having had (4) Lumped Jags... still have my '71 383/200R with 470# torque and 410 HP (engine dyno).. I built the engine for torque at rpms less than
3500... where you spend most of the time when driving.

It pulls 2:88 gears VERY well and is docile and burns 87 octane with 9:1 compression. These are heavy cars and having low rpm torque available makes for a fun car to drive... otherwise you have to gear it up to 3:54 and use the 700R with the big first gear ratio (but you then lose a lots of rpms on the 1-2 shift)...

Contact Jaguar Specialties, Andrew, for the best kit for conversion and all the other needed items... radiator suggestions and other things are on his website... the other kits (have had them all) are not as good... his sets the
engine back more and then the car handles better... use Corvette Ram Horn exhaust manifolds for less noise - less money and no maintenance. I ported mine and they have worked out very well after taking off the cracking headers...

The stock Jaguar rear is great, will cause you no problems, if you need to rebuild/replace the rear brake calipers... just drop it down... all that info is here and has been done MANY times.

Feel free to contact me for pictures and help with your project!

Old 09-26-2014, 07:45 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just got done doing my sbc swap on a 71 xj6. I too saved it from being sold as scrap, I traded a bicycle for it. I went the jtr route of building my own mounts and everything else!

I bought a 93 buick roadmaster wagon with a 5.7 tbi, only 180hp but 295 torque, and 4l60/700r4 in it for 650 bucks, also another car going to the scrap yard. I rebuilt the engine, and later the transmission. Rewired the entire car, from the wire harness of the buick. So now the car has fun stuff like auto dimming rear view mirror, auto lights, new type fuse panel, obd 1 and I added an electric fan.

I would say if I had to do it again, I would by john's all inclusive kit, it would have been a lot faster and probably cheaper in the long run.

Brake calipers, I bought 3 from amazon. One front for 109 and rears were 60, by centric. All work great, I painted the front with caliper paint, to match the other one I rebuilt. I should have painted the rears, they are starting to get surface rust.

Next on my list to do is new springs and shocks, redo the fuel system with one fuel cell and steel lines. I would also like to find a set of blue leather seats, mine were redone by the PO in vinyl, they look nice but I want the leather feel and smell.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 PM

alright ill get the swap kit from jaguar specialties, ill also be keeping the stock rear end just going to fix and beef up the parts. can anyone reccomend good rotors that fit? any wilwood stoptech?

Old 10-06-2014, 03:14 PM

Did some work today, actually a lot of work. Finally got the fenders off (with some help from an angle grinder) then proceeded to take off the doors and take out the seats. I'm pleasantly surprised to only be finding surface rust and not heavy British leyland ROT.

The Rebuild/Restoration finally begins-k0sl8cd.png
The Rebuild/Restoration finally begins-3yhzykm.jpg
The Rebuild/Restoration finally begins-av1eobu.jpg

can i remove this and just mount the seat directly?
The Rebuild/Restoration finally begins-8ldle80.jpg

Old 10-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

don't know for certain if you can bolt seat directly there! if your motor is dead i have a spare seat motor and frame, its yours for $25 plus shipping if you want it! or are you just trying to delete it?

Old 10-06-2014, 04:10 PM

im tall so i wouldnt mind trying to delete it, maybe through it up for someone to try and fix, or fix myself

Quick Reply: The Rebuild/Restoration finally begins