XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Gear shift lever

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 02:25 AM
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Removing Gear shift lever

Before I tear the whole console out, can someone please tell me the minimum path towards replacing the gear shift lever?

It looks like I need to get the wood panel that houses the ashtrays off, which in turn looks like the black plastic panel that locates the heater controls and radio need to come off. Is that right or am I doing needless dismantling?

And where on earth is that grand opticell that everybody keeps yapping about

PO mounted that funky looking gear shift knob cuz the shift lever is actually broken off under it and I'm getting a replacement

Old 10-09-2015, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

It isn't that hard. I've been in that cavity many times. Yours looks a tad easier than mine. Two parts for yours. The black part with the switches and the wood veneer unit with the aperature for the shift lever and the ash trays..

Mine is one piece, all black. Mine a base car, yours either later or VDP.

Tools:

1. Small Pozi or Phillips.
2. Blade screw driver.
3. Small pan for the teeny fasteners.

I remove the cubby lid and tray. Then, the shifter handle. .Then slide the switches free. Tangs on the bodies keep them in place. Mark the harness connectors, or tuck them in order Lr,lr,rf,.rr, etc.

The panel, the entire one I my car, the wood one in yours is merely tucked under the heat controls. No need to mess with them.

The ash trays come along with the panel

Now, you are in the cavity. Some wire connectors to undo. As, I suspect the entire shift tower must be replaced, not merely the shift lever, you will see the lighting and the shift cable.

I am a bit fuzzy as to whether or not the shift lever alone can be replaced in situ???

Fiddly, but not hard.

Carl

Old 10-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

remove the ashtray / ski panel.

but to disconnect the 5 switches on the ski area you need to remove the center console lid and tray, and before you remove the tray you need to carefully pry the lid catch.

you can try disconnecting the switches without removing the lid / tray /catch, but when you try to install them back, that's another story.

the Opticell unit is located under the panel, at the left-most and rearwards area.

Old 10-09-2015, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,951 Likes on 5,296 Posts

When you get the panel off as Carl describes, the "grand Opticell" is behind the left ashtray, just to the left of the Cruise button, nearly lying on the tunnel.

It doesn't look so Grand; just a silvery plastic blob (the reflector) with light wires (one red/white, one black) coming out the back. The silver reflector unscrews (1/3 turn) from the optic bundle mount and comes away free after you unplug its wires.

What look like Many wires positioned around the perimeter are the optic fiber bundles (treat them with Great Respect) coming out the Black front half. This part is screwed to the car and not intended to be removed easily.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 10-09-2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:55 PM
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks guys, got it.

Replaced the shaved gearshift lever that PO did to fit his gear knob with a stocker, but went woody instead of black plastic

Waiting patiently on T10 wedge led for the gear position indicator and the BA9S for the opticell before I button it back up

Last edited by TheWarlock; 10-11-2015 at 09:57 PM.