XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Steering Lock

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 07:05 PM
Received 227 Likes on 147 Posts

Hello
I have a 1980 XJS and I was doing maintenance on electrical stuff under the bonnet. At the end of the day, I went to start her and I could not get the key into the ignition barrel (sigh)
Found this thread detailing the removal of the barrel (cool)
Found the 2 x shear bolts – one facing the fire wall, one facing towards my feet (cool)
Each bolt had a slot cut into the heads for easy removal (cool – has obviously been out before).
Put a screw driver into the bolt facing the fire wall – very lose and came out easy (cool)
Put a screw driver into the feet facing bolt – position of the bolt is directly above the bottom of the dash supporting beam – unable to turn bolt with screw driver (sigh)
Tried the lever technique as explained by Carl - unsuccessful by this time my sighs gave way to a “you got to be kidding me”.
It was time for a rest.

Decided the only way to get this bolt out was to remove the steering column.
Undid the lower steering column connection bolts – cool
Went to undo the upper column connection bolts – seems to have a lock nut on the upper side of the thread – unable to get a spanner on it to stop it turning, and then if I could get a spanner on it – how would I get the nut back on it once I reassembled the unit – biggest sigh for the day
Time for another rest – battle to resume another day.

Another day arrived
Undid the 5 screws to release the instrument cluster – cool
Had a bit of a look around – realised I would not be able to remove the cluster without removing the steering wheel (sigh)
Removed the horn button (cool)
Removed the horn centre piece – it was good to see that it had one as it doesn't work (On the to do list)

Undid the steering wheel lock nut and undid it Ύ’s the way up the thread, gave the wheel a tug and it came loose (very cool - last one I did was a nightmare)
Un-clipped the 2 connection looms holding the instrument panel on (getting to like this)
Had to climb under the dash again to disconnect the mechanical speedo cable (cool)
Traced the tacho vacuum hose (?) – it went nowhere – Explains why the tacho doesn’t work (on the to do list)
Dash came out easily – today so far is a lot better than yesterday.
Undid the 2 upper steering column bolts, un-clipped the turn indicators, windscreen wipers and lights electrical connection and then removed the steering column.Now it was time again to attempt to get this locking mechanism stud out again – before the attempt – it was time for another rest to gather the courage.
Armed with the dremmel – a slot for a big screwdriver was sliced in the bolt head, with one person holding the mechanism and one person holding the screw driver down very hard and attempting to undo the bolt, it suddenly came free and let the dancing for joy commence – there was simply no way we could have done that in situ.The locking mechanism was removed, a paper clip straightened and slipped into the key lock part and felt around a little. Key part was then turned upside down and WD40 sprayed inside. After a short period – the key was back in the lock, still a bit stiff – but operational – it has been a good day.The day after
Took the lock to the lock smith – unrepairable – which was expected – advised that the key way has a lot of where in it (which is very obvious). I will track down a new one in the very near future.
Reassembled everything, placed M6 Allen screws in the grub screws as per Carl above. When it comes to installing the new lock – I will have to modify the Allen key to fit, but this will be a lot easier than the procedure just performed. Put the key in and away she went
Thank's for the thread above, made the job so much easier

Cheers
Steve

Distance between Allen stud and lower dash support

The following users liked this post:
Junkyardjohn (02-08-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:22 AM
Received 134 Likes on 100 Posts

Good man - persistence pays! Sometimes!

Old 01-17-2019, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Thumbs up

Aye!

Persistence is a good thing. It has served me well. Albeit, some have termed my version as stubborn! Supposedly, not an attribute. I took issue with my VP boss's use in an evaluation as a fault. So, I got him to look it up in the dictionary. Old days, paper version!! All but one of the synonyms were complimentary. I won that one or did I???

I was far better at my craft than he, But, he was a far better politician than I.

As Dad did not get a middle name, I did not either. So, if needed, I use "P.". for persistence.

Just came in from the breezeway. Billy has adopted it during our rains as his stable!!! Gave him his med loaded goat pellets. He loves them, bitter meds, notwithstanding.

Carl.