XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing ignition switch with ON/OFF switch and starter button?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 04:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Replacing ignition switch with ON/OFF switch and starter button?

1976 XJ12L

Ignition switch doesn't stay in ON position (without tape wrapped around it and the steering column).

I'm guessing that it wouldn't be too hard to replace the ignition switch with an ON/OFF toggle switch and a push button for the starter.

I'm too cheap (poor?) to buy a new ignition switch, so I may go that route. Is there a security feature that I have to be aware of that might not let this work? Anyone want to shed some light on this subject that might make it easier for me to accomplish this?

Old 11-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Motor, the only problem I see is that in most cars, the steering wheel is locked into position by the ignition switch. So, what you would need to do at a minimum is to install the key and turn it to the accessory position. This will unlock the steering wheel and let you drive the vehicle. Then, this will also allow you to control the voltage going to the momentary push button for the starter. Then the ON/OFF button would supply power to keep the motor running. But, again, it would be one of those things that the ON/OFF button really would not be needed if you wired up the power to the ON/OFF switch to the ACC position. Then you can leave the switch in the ON position. That way with the ignition switch in the OFF position, the ON/OFF switch would have no power, garanteeing the car can't run. Then to start, all you would have to do is rotate the ignition to ACC and push the "START" pushbutton. Then for a bit of added security, you can turn the switch to OFF which would still allow the car to crank the engine, but because the engine is not getting any power, it will not start. It will confuse anyone trying to break in.

If you need more ideas, let me know. The only thing that I would possibly caution you on is overloading the one layer of the ignition switch, but this can be overcome simply by using a 30 amp relay and bypassing the contact for the RUN position. Then the ON/OFF switch would only need to be a low current switch as it would be controlling the activation signal to the relay (which is getting the control signal from the ACC power).

I could draw out the circuit for you if this is too much information or you just aren't getting the idea that I have. The nice thing about all this wiring is that it would all be under the dash and should be pretty easy to reverse if you ever get a new ignition switch.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:16 PM
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Need the diagram to install a push button starter. No problem to use the key for power and as the steering lock. I know this is a very old thread, but hopefully someone will respond with the info I need. Thanks in advance

Old 08-19-2023, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

You have a Series II car?

I am assuming the basic circuit is the same as a Series III, which I am familiar with. What you'd need to do for a starter button, in simplest form, is apply 12v to the white/yellow wire found at the ignition switch.

So, clip the white/yellow wire and run it to one side of your starter button.

The other side of your starter button needs a 12v "+" source. Tap into any solid brown wire under the dash (including the one at the back of the ignition switch) and run a wire to the starter button.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Greg in France (08-20-2023), yachtmanbuttson (08-20-2023)