XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RH rear view mirror

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 11:21 AM
Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RH rear view mirror

I am contemplating installing a RH rear-view mirror on my '73. I have owned a TR6 for 35 years and almost put one on it but in the end decided I didn't really need it because its such a small car and a convertible, so visibility isn't a problem.

But I'm finding in the XJ I really could benefit from that mirror. Anybody else added one and was it a good decision for you?

Old 06-09-2017, 12:17 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

When I owned a 71 XJ6, I replaced the LH fixed mirror with the later enclosed style with cable adjustment. At the same time, I fitted a matching RH mirror. It helped, but that style was not convex, making the mirror less useful. My current 73 XJ6 came with the oval enclosed style mirror on the driver's side. Rather than add a matching passenger side mirror, I replaced both with S3 style electric mirrors. Actually, they are from an XJS because the mounting foot is better suited for fitment that allows the wing windows to function. I like them a lot, particularly the RH convex mirror, and the larger size which suits my aging vision. The later years are heated BTW--just wire them to the rear window defogger switch.

The following users liked this post:
INDYJAG-84 (06-10-2017)
Old 01-04-2020, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert,

I have contemplated upgrading the side mirrors on my S1 as well. So you have any pictures of how it turned out on yours?

Old 01-04-2020, 09:52 PM

I can try to get a couple pics tommorow for you. I had about 40 relatives in my house today. (20 kids under age of 10)
I'm exhausted!
The install came out good and I'm happy with the mirror. The bullet mirrors are small but still useful and they look much better than the other styles the jags had.
The installation had a few challeges.

My mirror came with the left hand gasket witch is only slightly different but I had to modify it to make it work so the mirror would sit with the same angle and spot as the left one.

The interior door card has to be surgically modified to add the adjustment handle.

I would recommend adding a backer plate to the inside of the door to give the metal screws more to hold on to.

But overall not a terribly difficult job, just a little nerve racking drilling holes in your door paint.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,437 Likes on 1,833 Posts

why not add the Seies 3 electric mirrors and switch? It is a somewhat easy installation, and provides safety in today's traffic conditions.

you will need to run a 2-wire harness from the passenger side to meet with the driver side 2 wire harness. Then it is a matter of 2 ground wires joined and screwed to any body point and 2 hot wires joined to the fuse box.

you will also need the rubber accordion necks for each door from a Series 3 to run the 2 wires from each door through the door jamb which might require drilling 1 inch diameter holes if not already there.

I installed Series 3 XJ electric door mirrors in my 1965 S type and I would never go back to manual mirrors.

The XJ-6 spacer-gaskets are different than the XJ-S spacer-gaskets. The angles at the doors are different in both cars.

Old 01-05-2020, 01:37 PM

Electric would be nice but I'm a sucker for Chrome.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Electric or manual. either is better than no mirror! Early on, I developed a reliance on them. Not as a substitute for turning my head, but to compliment it. Ans, ay as my neck stiffens and my eyes age, even more so.

I back my Jeep in to my driveway. Safer to enter the street going forward!! And, I locate it in the drive to off the Jaguar a safe path out. I use an "aiming stake". Put the left rear by it, close but, not hit it!!
It is rustic with a solar lamp atop... Doing that sans a mirror? Mebbe a vague mebbe…

Carl