XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat Upholstery

Old 04-23-2019, 01:39 PM
Received 260 Likes on 155 Posts

Looks great Sanchez. How much did all the Leatherique products cost you all in and which ones did you use? I have remnants of a past job but wanted to get an idea of cost for what you just did in 2019 and the best products these days...

Old 04-23-2019, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts

@pjprofili: I guess the pictures did not show the perforated leather. I have a crappy camera or I don't know how to use the fancy stuff.

@oliver: I bought the kit that does the complete car. That includes the seats, door upholstery, center console and all the bits and pieces of the biscuit color in my car. To date, I have only done the seats'
The Leatherique kit comes with Rejuvenator (32 ozs.), Pristine Clean (32 ozs.), Leather Prep(32 ozs.), Leather repair (4 ozs.) and Leather and vinyl dye (32 ozs.). $195.00
I used a spray gun to apply the dye (5 coats) which is overkill, and I still have about 12 ozs left. When spraying the dye you can dilute it up to 50% with warm distilled water. I diluted @ 30% because I used a 4 mm nozzle on my spray gun @ 20 psi.

Last edited by sanchez; 04-23-2019 at 03:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sanchez:
olivermarks (04-23-2019), yachtmanbuttson (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 03:41 PM
Received 260 Likes on 155 Posts

@sanchez - Money well spent, looks terrific!

Old 04-23-2019, 04:04 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sanchez
@pjprofili: I guess the pictures did not show the perforated leather. I have a crappy camera or I don't know how to use the fancy stuff.

Nice - it was just the resolution of the other pictures that didn't show the holes. So did you stitch those sections in yourself - and where did you source them?

Old 04-23-2019, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

An acquaintance of mine has a step father who is retired and does boat upholstery part time. The perforated leather was purchased from a furniture upholstery supplier in my area. I was able to purchase the end cuts(useless to them) in two different tan colors one slightly lighter than the other, ($100.) I paid the upholsterer $300 to stitch the covers and $50 to replace the busted rubber diaphragm with 3 inch wide webbing. I refurbished the OEM foam with some medium density foam which I shaped with an electric knife and I installed the covers when they were done (a PITA). Total time 2 weeks plus 3 days for prepping and dye. Now my car has that new leather smell.

The following 2 users liked this post by sanchez:
pjprofili (04-24-2019), yachtmanbuttson (04-24-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi @sanchez

I am going to follow your lead and do this. I have to do the headliner and I'm taking the seats out to make taking the headliner out easier. So might'as well right....

Anyway.
1) Did you do just the seating surface with the crack repair and re-dye, using rejuvenator for the sides and back or did you do the whole seat?
2) Did you Order Bisquit dye from Leatherique?
3) How'd you know you had Bisquit color? I don't find any indicators on my car of what the interior color was. None of the samples on the website seem really close though bisquit looks closest.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:06 AM
Veteran Member

@muttony:
Question 1: Since the seats are lacquer dyed, you will have to sand the seats to break the lacquer seal. If you try to put the rejuvenator without sanding, it will not penetrate the leather.
In my case, I used lacquer thinner to remove most of the old dye and let it air dry for 24 hours. I then massaged the rejuvenator into the seat and let it sit for another 24 hours. I then cleaned of the residual rejuvenator with the Pristine clean and allowed to air dry for another 24 hours. Now it's time to apply the leather repair. I used masking tape to isolate the cracks and used a piece of plastic the width of the crack to apply the leather repair filler. Wait about 30-45 minutes, then sand smooth.
The sides and back the back seat is not leather, it's vinyl. So all you have to do is clean it properly with the Pristine Clean then apply the leather/Vinyl prep and allow to air dry before applying the dye.
DO NOT HASTEN THE DRYING PROCESS by using heat, between each step. If you do, you will have just wasted your money and time.
As you can see above, the prepping process before dye application is 3 days. I allowed 5 days for the dye to fully cure before sitting on them.

Question 2: Yes, I purchased the kit from Leatherique, and George the owner, led me through the entire process via email. He answered all of my questions and gave me the proper advice as to how to do the complete process.

Question 3: Look in the engine compartment. You should find a plate on the inner fender (passenger side) You will see the paint and trim code. In my case the trim code is ADE which is biscuit.

Update: I redid the tint on the rear glass and I had to kneel on the seat to apply the tint. Guess what? The leather crack repair held up to all of the abuse of my knees could give the seat. I am very pleased with the result.

The following users liked this post:
yachtmanbuttson (05-15-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 07:22 PM
Received 100 Likes on 56 Posts

@sanchez

Thanks for your help. Re: The Paint and Trim Code. I looked where you suggested and I found a Plate but all it has on it is the word "FEDERAL". There's a little space between the F and the EDERAL so I suppose it might be F EDERAL as some kind of code but that would be a ridiculous coincidence. Anyway. Any better tip on where that plate should be. Perhaps it is underneath something and I can't see it.