XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 1 XJ ignition problem.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 06:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Series 1 XJ ignition problem.

Went to go for a drive today and no start. Turned the key and got nothing. No dash lights, no crank, although, intermittently, I heard a click. Check fusebox and none of the accessory circuits hsve power, so I go off searching. Apparently the car had a small electrical fire the other day (went to my girls Easter hat parade and came back to see my car sitting in a pool of water, and a few texts directing me to a Facebook page of a guy saying he put the car out by pouring water near the battery.) but I got in and started, then drove home with no funny noises, no funny smells and no electrical faults at all.

I was under my dash looking at fuses and I noticed I could wiggle the wires on the ignition barrel. They soon popped off, along with a small plastic disc from inside the barrel. If I placed the disc onto the contact section of the wire plug, and rotated it, the car would wind and crank. It didn't start but I think it's just because of the way I was holding the contacts.

So. In short. How screwed am I? I read it's retained by a small set screw. Is there any way to repair it?

How do I remove the barrel part from the dash? It's going to be easier to fix if I can see it properly.

Assuming I can't fix what I have, can I buy a barrel from a S2/3 car and use that? I have a RHD car and my barrel is on the left hand side of the steering column.

Any assistance greatly appreciated. It's another annoying problem, but it could be the answer to a few of my problems, such as a car that wants to catch on fire (if the contacts are shorting or not connecting properly) and would explain why my accessory circiut has no power if the disc isn't being turned.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:36 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

1st you were told your Jag had a fire and you still drove it home? Did you leave in the garage attached to your house overnight too? Parts are available on-line at most of the better vendors.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Hmm, I just finished changing out the ignition switch in my LHD 83 XJ6.

I'm not sure if the process is the same or similar.

The major issue was removing the two screws that secured the switch barrel to the stalk to the column with the steering lock.

They are break away fasteners. I found that an orange colored home with wire nut was just right to fit the remaining shoulder. I drilled one for insertion of a long screw to get torque. Not too bad. it worked. I used Allen heads to replace them. easier for crooks, if the have the right Allen wrench!!!

Once out and on the bench, easy to take apart. More difficult to reassemble. Teen screw!!

And beware of three teeny little ***** that fit in the race to define the switch positions. Missing or I lost them!

The little ***** on a lamp pull chain look about right as possible substitutes!!!

I got a good used unit from David Boger. Just much better.

I've a lot of left over parts. Too bad you are across the wide Pacific from me!!!

Carl

Old 04-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1st you were told your Jag had a fire and you still drove it home? Did you leave in the garage attached to your house overnight too? Parts are available on-line at most of the better vendors.

No. I drove the car there, with no problems. I went to the parade, drove home, with no problems. I got a phone call from my MIL asking what happened to the car, check Facebook. I still haven't seen the posts as I am not a member of the group, but I had a few messages asking if it was my car. My car was in that area, but, again, drove there, back, no problems. Did a full detailed search last night and cannot locate anything that looks burned. Maybe a plastic bag got caught? No idea.

Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Received 178 Likes on 153 Posts

Hope it was just a joke, not funny. Hope fix is working.