XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 2 doesn't like reving right out....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 05:00 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its a series 3 bw66 i just had put in because my series 2 one the bearings got worn. i did make sure it had full fluid before i first took it out

Old 01-14-2014, 08:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry for the delayed reply. Been on holiday and all of that with the festive season. Now I'll jump our conversation back to this thread so we don't get everyone confused

Nos monkey said: "I sorted out my carbs and got them all sweet ( after removing the aed unit) but thought id give it a go with my aed unit on but just cant get it as good as without it. so will remove that completely and put a manual choke on."

Have you had a look into any manual choke set ups for the carbs?? The manual choke will basically raise and lower the jets in the carbs in order to give more/less fuel for starting. I haven't figured out how to load photos on here yet. But the set up on mine is aftermarket.. But old.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:25 AM

nah i havent actually looked into how manual chokes go on yet the next few days im going to give it a go just running without the aed and see if i have any troubles with starting in the morning, the last 2 days it started fine and was much better since iv blocked it off.

I might even have the aed unit not set right? are they adjustable if so how would i go about setting them? All the screws under the black plastic cap are fully tight and i thought 1 would be a mixture screw or something that would adjust?

Old 01-15-2014, 05:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember there being a screw under the black plastic thing that adjust engine speed when the AED is in operation. (Basically a fast idle screw on a standard choke)

The AED operates on air drawn through it which comes from around the exhaust??? As the air warms it heats the bimetallic plates inside it which act on the spring that control the valve that allows fuel to enrich the air entering the engine. Once the engine operating temp is obtained the valve is closed and kept closed by the heated bi metal plates. As it cools it re opens the valve to allow easier cold starting.

Hopefully that makes sense?

Old 01-16-2014, 04:11 AM

yup that makes sense, still runs good without the aed unit so far so i think i might just leave it disconnected for the mean time untill i sort something out. but i may end up selling it as i just brought a family wagon from a car yard today since the partner is pregnant and been nagging me to get a station wagon and since i couldnt really afford it, it would be good to be able to pay off the loan i got quicker. but saying that i still have a minimum price and if i dont get offered that it wont be sold. I got some colour match paint yesterday and touched up a few places where the respray started to flake off it looks really nice now. i just need some stuff to soften up the rear seats and it'l be mint

Old 01-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

I have run into problems with the fuel screens in the tanks. With high fuel demand, floating crap in the tanks coats the screen limiting fuel flow; when you slow the demand, or stop, the crap settles away allowing free fuel flow again.