XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 3 4.2 reawakening

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 03:03 AM
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Series 3 4.2 reawakening

Hi New headliner. The board had started to warp, so stiffener board added. The weight is because glue is glue

​​​​​​​ folks.
And so the journey begins.
I've wanted one of these and a series 2 as well for well over a yonk. So I've now got the first one.
245000 on the clock.
Very little rust.
Straight as a pin.
Carpets like new except for being not as clean as I'd prefer.
Seats not ripped, but, not good enough for bums, however perfect for upholstery patterns.
Etc......
Will soon strip and paint Black Cherry Mica.
Roof lining and carpets Maroon.
All timber replaced with french polished Karri.
Lots more to come, stay tuned.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Nice work Brandon. Like you, I have a really nice SeriesIII . . . mine is red and a 4.2L MY79. Only an unreliable aircon and u/s power antenna yet to be attended to. More pics in my albums. Yell if I can assist but, compared to others here, the SeriesIII is still a learning exercise for me also. Plenty of good heads here with vast experience, so best wishes for your project.

Cheers,

Ken

Attached Thumbnails Series 3 4.2 reawakening-img360.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Brandon,
imo, with 245k on the clock it's a good one! To have that many miles means that it must have provided pretty damn good service, most don't go that far. They would, but most aren't maintained and as a result end up sitting around most of their lives with few miles. Put in a 700r4 trans, it'll transform the car and your driving experience.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,950 Likes on 5,295 Posts

I *Luv* rebuild threads! I learn something new in Every one! Sometimes I pirate it for my own car!
(';')

The following users liked this post:
o1xjr (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:31 AM

The temporary headliner is now in.
I say temp because its still got a bulge so I'll use sheet stainless next time (after the respray) to stiffen. This project is going to be a huge learning curve in so many ways.
Will cover the rubber for the final install. And trims will all go back. Etc, etc....
​​​​​​​

Old 05-02-2017, 12:33 PM

And what color is that?

Old 05-02-2017, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by slofut
And what color is that?
It's maroon, but now it's in the car I know I need something deeper like a dark burgundy or similar. It has to come out for the spray so that's no drama.
But at least this one isn't in my rear view mirror!

Trending Topics

Old 05-03-2017, 07:58 PM

Brandon,
imo, with 245k on the clock it's a good one! To have that many miles means that it must have provided pretty damn good service, most don't go that far. They would, but most aren't maintained and as a result end up sitting around most of their lives with few miles. Put in a 700r4 trans, it'll transform the car and your driving experience.
Hi,
The 700r4. Can you tell me more please? Such as ratio's and will it be a straight swap for my current box?
I don't know what's in it now, but it takes about a week to get to 80kmh then only moments later, 180.... And mine is auto.
​​​​​​​

Old 05-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by bjsovereign
Hi,
The 700r4. Can you tell me more please? Such as ratio's and will it be a straight swap for my current box?
I don't know what's in it now, but it takes about a week to get to 80kmh then only moments later, 180.... And mine is auto.
​​​​​​​
Read over this page, it will explain. I used this kit, the process was step by step with all parts needed, and for me a pleasure to install. The car has much more pep, and drives more like what it should have to begin with.

http://www.johnscars.com/qb/xj6qb.html

Old 05-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Read over this page, it will explain. I used this kit, the process was step by step with all parts needed, and for me a pleasure to install. The car has much more pep, and drives more like what it should have to begin with.

http://www.johnscars.com/qb/xj6qb.html
Which diff do you have, out of interest?

Old 05-07-2017, 08:19 AM

2:88 rear diff. If you're wondering about the lugging issue that's been mentioned by some, it's not the trans combination at all, it's the TV cable geometry and attachment, and it can be corrected. It's the only issue I had with the kit, I had to make a small adapter to go on the throttle lever that would provide the correct geometry for the TV cable. No lugging at low speed, and no need for a high stall speed converter because it shifts when it's supposed to now.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 PM

2:88 rear diff. If you're wondering about the lugging issue that's been mentioned by some, it's not the trans combination at all, it's the TV cable geometry and attachment, and it can be corrected. It's the only issue I had with the kit, I had to make a small adapter to go on the throttle lever that would provide the correct geometry for the TV cable. No lugging at low speed, and no need for a high stall speed converter because it shifts when it's supposed to now.
Got a picture of the adapter in place by any chance? My 350 is going south and I was thinking about replacing it with something different.

Old 05-13-2017, 03:37 AM

Some old conveyor belt becomes new rubber mats. Using new carpet on the build.
​​​​​​​Still need a metre square odd bit for the boot maybe?......

Old 05-14-2017, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by pjprofili
Got a picture of the adapter in place by any chance? My 350 is going south and I was thinking about replacing it with something different.
I'll try to take a pic tomorrow and post it here.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:40 PM

Much obliged!

Old 05-23-2017, 08:11 AM

I'll try to take a pic tomorrow and post it here.
PJ,
Here is a couple pics of the adapter I made for the throttle/tv cable connection.

The car is pretty nasty, I didn't realize 'til I raised the hood. It's been sitting a while because, well the starter nose broke and I got pissed and left it sit in the drive for 6 months, took it to the shop one day and changed the starter and started driving it, then a few days later as I parked it on the back slab it pukes fuel out the carbon canister, and overflows fuel out the right tank so fuel valves again! It ran great for two or three years after going thru all the fuel system, let it sit a few months with this fine fuel we now have available and it gets revenge. When I get in the mood I'll break it all down again and change all the (new) fuel valves ...again.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:15 AM

I also had to make another tv cable mount bracket, it's really hard to get a shot of it and honestly I forgot that was an integral part of making the tv cable alignment work. I'll take another pic soon.

The following users liked this post:
pjprofili (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

the headliner fabric should not be pressed, you're pushing it down too hard, just lay the fabric over the fiberglass pad and using a new paint roller, you gently roll it over the fabric without any force, otherwise it becomes "dented" as shown in the pictures.

if you need to fix the fiberglass pad, do it before you apply the fabric.

remember that you are not gluing the headliner fabric to the pad, but the foam underneath the fabric.