XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Series 3 AC receiver drier

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Series 3 AC receiver drier

Which side does the receiver drier sight glass go when installed on car? It's the long tubular style. I've seen it on left and right side.

Old 06-06-2017, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts

On all the cars I have seen, the sight glass is on the left hand side of the car.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:22 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

That's right - I mean correct. It's on the left. If you follow the direction of flow the sight glass is after the drier.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:03 PM

Thanks, but need more opinions. In my Jaguar Parts Manual, the drawing of it shows sight glass on rhs. Does it really matter?

Old 06-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

The receiver/drier is directional and should have an arrow on showing flow direction.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:30 AM

Horizontal tube type has no directional info on it. Anyone have a good pix of theirs installed.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:37 AM

Make note of the stock Receiver/Driers direction and remove it. Wrap the new Receiver/Drier with the rubber tape supplied and loosely install it on the Radiator Support making certain it is pointed in the right direction. The sight glass block should be on the rightside of the car. Keep the end caps on the Receiver/Drier until the last possible moment or it will absorb moisture from the atmosphere, degrading the performance of your new system.

This is from Retroaires website for XJ's. Someone's got to know the correct way.

Last edited by Saemetric; 06-07-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Three differing ways:

1. Clarke's useful pictures. Not what is on my 83!!

2. My memory. When my car was DOHC powered, the AC worked. Great at times, at others, it took a siesta. I'm quite sure the dryer in place horizontaly, just in front of the top radiator support had a bubble LF, as seen from the driver's seat of my LHD car.

3. The "lump" kit from Johnscars included a new dryer. Mounted in the same place, in the same manner with the same connectors. I just went out to the shop and checked.
No bubble viewer. Markings as to directions? None visible as mounted...

Charging my system still on my ever growing task lists.

Carl

Old 06-07-2017, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Picture from my 84 S3 (standard apart from heart transplant) rec/drier in stock location. Mine has no sight glass , but the fitting on the left side (from drivers seat perspective) looks like it might have been in on OEM piece. The other end is just pipe out.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Saemetric
Make note of the stock Receiver/Driers direction and remove it. Wrap the new Receiver/Drier with the rubber tape supplied and loosely install it on the Radiator Support making certain it is pointed in the right direction. The sight glass block should be on the rightside of the car. Keep the end caps on the Receiver/Drier until the last possible moment or it will absorb moisture from the atmosphere, degrading the performance of your new system.

This is from Retroaires website for XJ's. Someone's got to know the correct way.
No idea why it says right - unless something changed. Mine is on the left ('87) - always has been, and the common wisdom (Google it) is that the sight glass should be on the output side - i.e. before the expansion valve. Trace your lines and see whether that's the right or the left of your car.

Regardless, if you're retrofitting with R134a the sight glass is not as good an indication of condition as it was in the R12 days, so don't sweat it. All it is is a window. Everything will still work regardless of where it's located.

Old 06-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

in my 1984 the sight glass is and has always been towards the side of the coolant tank, closest to the red relay for the auxliary fan.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jose
in my 1984 the sight glass is and has always been towards the side of the coolant tank, closest to the red relay for the auxliary fan.
Right. I mean correct. That's on the left.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:50 PM

Thanks everyone. Consensus mostly is the sight glass should be on the LHS of the car. My 87 is that way so I'll put the 82 that way. At least I'll be consistent. (The 82 was on the rhs but had been changed at some point)

Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 PM

Follow up to original post. I had to install the receiver drier with the sight glass on the rhs. No choice here. In trying to mount it in proper location with 4 screws the ac lines did not properly line up withe the r/d. my early 82 must have a different condenser than later ones.
So some that said here their sight glass is on the rhs are correct. I think it depends on what condenser you have.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:20 AM

Does it operationally make a difference which way freon flows through the drier.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:34 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I seem to remember fitting one backwards and using it that way for a decade or so.

But yes, it does make a difference. The "receiver" function refers to its role as a storage vessel. What comes out of the condenser enters the top, and the desired liquid portion settles to the bottom. This is picked up from a tube that goes down to the bottom--should be pure liquid. The sight glass is in the output side to confirm no bubbbles--pure liquid is being sent to the expansion valve.

The above refers to a generic receiver/drier, which is always oriented vertically. The S3 horizontal installation is a bit unusual. I don't know whether it retains the vertical separation if inlet at top, outlet at bottom, or not. If not (i.e. Jaguar decided to source an ordinary unit and install it horizontally), it will still work if the condenser is putting out largely liquid. In either case, the outlet should be the side that is seen by the sight glass, and this should go to the expansion valve/evaporator inlet. IMHO.

Old 07-09-2017, 09:54 PM

As a follow up, I cut the old drier apart as I was wondering if the orientation makes any difference. On this type that is horizontal, I don't think it's as important as if it were a vertical type. In side is a desiccant bag and filter on outboard end (if installed with sight glass on las of car). If installed the other way the only difference would be the filter would be on the inlet side It still should dry the freon and filter it.

Name:  E7C1FDA7-2E70-4BDE-AD1C-9B224BCB1353_zps1b41ipyc.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  276.8 KB

The following 2 users liked this post by Saemetric:
davidboger (07-10-2017), LnrB (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Saemetric
As a follow up, I cut the old drier apart as I was wondering if the orientation makes any difference. On this type that is horizontal, I don't think it's as important as if it were a vertical type. In side is a desiccant bag and filter on outboard end (if installed with sight glass on las of car). If installed the other way the only difference would be the filter would be on the inlet side It still should dry the freon and filter it.
You beat me to it - I was planning on cutting up my old one to see for myself.

I still think that in theory the filter should be on the outlet - i.e. the sight glass end. As I understand it from various online discussions the purpose of the filter is mainly to prevent the desiccant from finding its way into the expansion valve (or beyond if any were to make it through the valve - doubtful though) in case the bag ruptured or something else caused the desiccant to break apart.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (07-10-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,956 Likes on 5,298 Posts

The things I learn hanging out in car forums!
I never knew what magic was encapsulated in the dryer thingy, only that the glass warned of a low charge. I never had a dead one to cut apart either.

Thanks, guys!
(';')

Old 07-10-2017, 11:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup.

So much to learn from "necropsies". A plumber's pipe cutter could do this neatly.

Elinor: I'd guess that the local AC shop might donate an old one to cut open.

Carl