Sponsored by:

Shopping Cart

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,943 Likes on 5,291 Posts
Default Shopping Cart

***EDIT*** THE CART DID NOT HIT THE CAR ***EDIT***

This afternoon after work we went shopping. Usually we take the Wart because of the dangers and risks of shopping center parking lots but today I wanted to drive Nix just because.

It was hot this afternoon and shade was at a premium at our favorite Food Mart, but as I cruised down the shady aisle we noticed an elderly couple just finishing loading out so I stopped and waited for them to leave the slot.

They left the cart, front wheels up on the island by their pickup where it would possibly be a danger to my pulling in to the right, the hardest direction and the shortest radius. Husband got out to move the cart out of the way and I sat and waited about 50 feet back. And I waited.

Finally someone was coming up behind me so I pulled in across the aisle into an empty space to get out of their way, also thinking we had now lost that slot to the other person.

But no! About that time the elder woman (who was driving) left the space and I was able to pull through both spaces, go around and make a left turn (easiest, longest radius) into the very space I wanted! Meanwhile husband was chatting with the woman parked just across the island.

I parked, uncoiled myself from the driver seat and walked back to where they were, the woman was gazing wistfully at Nix. She mentioned several times what a pretty car! Of course I thanked her graciously. I would blush if I told you what else she said, but then she was interested in the gas mileage. I said, "People don't drive Jaguars for economy."

After we walked away husband told me the rest of the story. She had seen the car sitting waiting for that parking spot, and knowing full well we were waiting for that specific one, she decided she was going to "save" it for that Black Jaguar and not let anyone else park there until I could get back around! How thoughtful was that!!!

After all that it was a very successful shopping trip and Nix came home with a boot full of booty as can be seen in the accompanying photo.

The large white box is lined with 1.5 inches of Styrofoam. It's our main traveling refrigerator box. In the center is a double milk crate to contain bags of Stuff, and on the left, yes that is indeed a re-purposed box once containing a Harbor Freight electric hoist. It's also lined with Styrofoam and makes a very good small cooler that stays in Nix permanently.

You can also see other necessities of life out here in the Stix.
(';')

Attached Thumbnails Shopping Cart-shoppingcart.jpg  

Last edited by LnrB; 07-04-2014 at 07:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:21 AM
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Phew!! when I read the title I was mentally preparing myself for a "dented by shopping cart" story.
Relieved no damage was done to your very nice cat.

The following 3 users liked this post by anjum:
LnrB (07-03-2014), o1xjr (07-04-2014), orangeblossom (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by anjum
Phew!! when I read the title I was mentally preparing myself for a "dented by shopping cart" story.
Relieved no damage was done to your very nice cat.
X2!! You had me holding my breath!

That's a nice system to keep all your new goodies in order.

The last time I took Boomer to the super store we ended up buying a 4' long shelving unit for the garage. Guess what? It didn't fit in the boot. OK. Slid the box standing on it's side in front of the back seat-under the boys' legs. Good thing they have to sit in booster seats yet.

The following 2 users liked this post by moronthethrottle:
LnrB (07-03-2014), orangeblossom (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup. I also thought the thoughtless cart user story was upcoming!!! Glad to be wrong.

My explanation if necessary as to mpg is cpm, "cost per mile". Not only do I drive a Jaguar that I like, but it's paid for!!! No monthly car payments, yahoo. Now, my Jeep isn't as classy looking, albeit quire presentable, but very utilitarian and also enjoys good cpm. And, also "paid for".

Well, what a lot in Nix's boot. Not as much in my Jaguar, but not nearly as well stowed. But, enough room still for a load of vittles.

The Jeep's space is better stowed. and, with stuff and spare and back seat forward has a good sized bay for bringing home stuff. The shredder fit as well as a dishwasher or two. But, seats forward a bit finicky! Roof top is available with rails to tie down a bulky but not too heavy load. The industrial table I sitting at came home that way.

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
LnrB (07-03-2014), orangeblossom (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you all.
I really apologize for frightening everyone!
It never occurred to me the title might give the impression someone hit Nix with a cart! That would indeed have ruined the day.
I'll choose my thread titles more carefully in future.
(';')

orangeblossom (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 06:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,744 Likes on 2,597 Posts

Originally Posted by LnrB
This afternoon after work we went shopping. Usually we take the Wart because of the dangers and risks of shopping center parking lots but today I wanted to drive Nix just because.

It was hot this afternoon and shade was at a premium at our favorite Food Mart, but as I cruised down the shady aisle we noticed an elderly couple just finishing loading out so I stopped and waited for them to leave the slot.

They left the cart, front wheels up on the island by their pickup where it would possibly be a danger to my pulling in to the right, the hardest direction and the shortest radius. Husband got out to move the cart out of the way and I sat and waited about 50 feet back. And I waited.

Finally someone was coming up behind me so I pulled in across the aisle into an empty space to get out of their way, also thinking we had now lost that slot to the other person.

But no! About that time the elder woman (who was driving) left the space and I was able to pull through both spaces, go around and make a left turn (easiest, longest radius) into the very space I wanted! Meanwhile husband was chatting with the woman parked just across the island.

I parked, uncoiled myself from the driver seat and walked back to where they were, the woman was gazing wistfully at Nix. She mentioned several times what a pretty car! Of course I thanked her graciously. I would blush if I told you what else she said, but then she was interested in the gas mileage. I said, "People don't drive Jaguars for economy."

After we walked away husband told me the rest of the story. She had seen the car sitting waiting for that parking spot, and knowing full well we were waiting for that specific one, she decided she was going to "save" it for that Black Jaguar and not let anyone else park there until I could get back around! How thoughtful was that!!!

After all that it was a very successful shopping trip and Nix came home with a boot full of booty as can be seen in the accompanying photo.

The large white box is lined with 1.5 inches of Styrofoam. It's our main traveling refrigerator box. In the center is a double milk crate to contain bags of Stuff, and on the left, yes that is indeed a re-purposed box once containing a Harbor Freight electric hoist. It's also lined with Styrofoam and makes a very good small cooler that stays in Nix permanently.

You can also see other necessities of life out here in the Stix.
(';')
I was literally reading this, with my head in my hands looking through my fingers! like when I was watching the movie 'Halloween' as I was convinced that trolley was about to fall off the island onto 'Nix!'

So I am really glad it never fell onto your beautiful Car!

You really Scared us 'Big Time' with that Shopping Trolley Story!

As I hate Shopping Trolleys, in more ways than one!

LnrB (07-03-2014)
Old 07-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
I was literally reading this, with my head in my hands looking through my fingers! like when I was watching the movie 'Halloween' as I was convinced that trolley was about to fall off the island onto 'Nix!'

So I am really glad it never fell onto your beautiful Car!

You really Scared us 'Big Time' with that Shopping Trolley Story!

As I hate Shopping Trolleys, in more ways than one!
I am so sorry, Alan, to you and everyone else I frightened. As I said above, I'll be choosing my thread titles with a great deal more care from no on.
(';')

orangeblossom (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member

I am so sorry, Alan, to you and everyone else I frightened. As I said above, I'll be choosing my thread titles with a great deal more care from no on.
(';')
Whatever you do, Don't do that!

We need the occasional Thrill ride, every now and then!

LnrB (07-04-2014)
Old 07-04-2014, 04:46 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Whatever you do, Don't do that!

We need the occasional Thrill ride, every now and then!
OMG! I cannot believe you do that!

I'm with Elinor on this, See my post: 'Am I Parking Mad'

With a Classic Car like mine or a Classic Car like yours, there is no way in the World, that I would ever consider ever Parking next to anything else!
I do see your point of view,but mine is the opposite. It's a risk I'll take because I bought it for a daily driver. And I want to park where it is convenient for me ,most times I will park next a pillar or the last spot so 1 side is protected. But if the only space has a car both sides I'll take it. Dents can be fixed,a day not using it is one less day I get to enjoy it.
People I work with don't believe I leave my Jeep in the garage and bring the XJ6 to the work car park.
In my view there is no point having a classic I don't drive where and when I feel like it. It only cost me $2000, but if it cost me $20,000 I would still do the same.
I missed this thread yesterday,but It will be more likely "Fireball" that is inflicted with the dreaded shopping trolley injury.
Shopping Cart-images.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
LnrB (07-04-2014), orangeblossom (07-04-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't park by this guy, either!
Name:  funny-shop.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  43.3 KB

orangeblossom (07-31-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by moronthethrottle
Don't park by this guy, either!
I know that guy!!
(';')

Old 07-13-2014, 03:13 AM
Thumbs up Parked in two danger zones today

Parked in two busy carparks today,one for 8 hours,happy to report no damage.

Shopping Cart-dsc_9666.jpgShopping Cart-dsc_9667.jpgShopping Cart-dsc_9745.jpg

orangeblossom (07-31-2014), paulyling (07-31-2014)
Old 07-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by o1xjr
Parked in two busy carparks today,one for 8 hours,happy to report no damage.
Uh Huh, and you were in at least one place where the rules of Chivalry apply.

Besides. Your Silver car doesn't show every scratch and dent like my Black one does, not to mention the difference in dustiness. Mine looks Terrible if it's not squeaky clean. I don't mind, keeping it clean gives me purpose. LOL
(';')

Old 07-31-2014, 05:31 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

The guys with leapers:

Are you afraid some muppet will rip it off? Do people do that kinda thing?

I just got my XJS with a leaper and Im not sure how im gonna play it out

Last edited by paulyling; 07-31-2014 at 05:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 AM

I use mine as sights for lining up jay walkers.

orangeblossom (07-31-2014), paulyling (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 07:29 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

ha ha ha ha ha. Well, im gonna go with it. If it happens it happens. Ive always got a growler to put on in place i guess.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

I like my Leaper, although I have become aware that it had none when it left Brownslane decades ago. An aiming device of sorts. Familiar to me since I was a kid and later in army service. Target and goal synomous to me. Fun on winding roads, just use it to airm at the course I want to take. That apex thing!

I miss one on my Jeep. I'd love to have a way of making one of the little critters made popular in the "Popeye" cartoon.

Yeah, my pewter colored Jeep never looks bad even if a tad dusty, but never as well as my Grosvenor Brown jaguar when shined up. Each needs shining!!! That drought thing!!

Carl

paulyling (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by paulyling
The guys with leapers:

Are you afraid some muppet will rip it off? Do people do that kinda thing?

I just got my XJS with a leaper and Im not sure how im gonna play it out
My car never had a Leaper and I'm glad. I think it looks out of place on a Jaguar newer than about 1965 and I think it looks Really stupid on new Jaguars.

Obviously others have different opinions which I respect.

One of the things that attracted me to the car when I first saw it was the lack of branding clutter, all of which was removed decades before it came to live with me.

The Leaper interrupts the whole front end and compromises the understated elegance of those sculpted lines and flowing curves that instantly tell everyone, This is a Jaguar!
(';')

Old 08-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member

My car never had a Leaper and I'm glad. I think it looks out of place on a Jaguar newer than about 1965 and I think it looks Really stupid on new Jaguars.

Obviously others have different opinions which I respect.

One of the things that attracted me to the car when I first saw it was the lack of branding clutter, all of which was removed decades before it came to live with me.

The Leaper interrupts the whole front end and compromises the understated elegance of those sculpted lines and flowing curves that instantly tell everyone, This is a Jaguar!
(';')
I agree with LNR B

It may look OK on some Jags but not on the XJS where it interrupts the lines of that long sweeping bonnet/hood.

If somebody wanted to 'nick it' I would willingly lend them a spanner, if it weren't for the fact it would leave me with two very unsightly holes!

LnrB (08-01-2014)
Old 08-01-2014, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 565 Likes on 353 Posts

Uh Huh, and you were in at least one place where the rules of Chivalry apply.

Besides. Your Silver car doesn't show every scratch and dent like my Black one does, not to mention the difference in dustiness. Mine looks Terrible if it's not squeaky clean. I don't mind, keeping it clean gives me purpose. LOL
(';')
Remember Gino Vanelli.....Black Cars Look Better in the Shade.

LnrB (08-01-2014)

Quick Reply: Shopping Cart