Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some People Shouldn't Be Allowed To Own A Jag

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,935 Likes on 5,285 Posts
Default Some People Shouldn't Be Allowed To Own A Jag

I heard a Jaguar story the other day, from my youngest brother.

Our oldest brother's wife has always wanted a Jag, and for Years she has nagged him about it. So he found a convertible on a dealer lot and bought it for her. I asked if it had a V12, no it doesn't. Well at least there's that!

Now, ya hafta understand where those people live; out in Rural Montana, on gravel roads, where Winters are cold and Very long and a lot of snow falls. There might be the odd day when a convertible is OK for a couple hours in the afternoon but it's definitely NOT a top-down friendly place. Little facts like that never stop her. She wants what she wants.

My oldest brother is no stranger to DIY car repairs, in fact, he's the best of us. He just sort of knows intuitively what's wrong and how to fix it. It's been his work for several years.

His wife is not happy unless she's complaining/finding fault/b**ching about something. So, the car is her new favorite recipient of her temper. It had this wrong. It had that wrong. And, predictably, she stopped driving it and left it outside over that winter because there isn't room in the double garage for a bicycle let alone a car. That was last Winter, 2012-13.

Last Fall, my brother drove it to his place of work and stored it there, inside out of the weather, heated to above freezing. This Spring when she wanted to drive it the first warm day it wouldn't start and of course it's the car's fault, being one of those @&$)&&#! Jaguars.

She will be Very happy now to tell *Everyone* what a PO$ a Jaguar is. At least no one ever listens to her so it doesn't matter.

I told my brother who related this tale to me, "Tell her I have a Jaguar, and it starts Every time I turn the key, and it works SO well that I'm comfortable taking it anywhere! And while your at it, show her a picture of my car, and tell her about its First Place Win at the recent show!" That should just frost her cookies!

I haven't heard back, but he might not be brave enough to actually tell her.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 07-01-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

LnrB:

Takes all kinds, I've heard.

More support for that this saw, "some folks would b...ch if they wuz hung with new rope".

And, some just need a "whipping boy". Something on the order of an ego enhancer.

Others are just "copy cats". At times relatively harmless, but lately deadly by some.

I did my army serivice in Germany. Most of the time, when I had an assigned Jeep and driver, it had no top. BRRR. And, when the top was available, no heater in GI conveyances!!! But, it worked out...

You'd think I would learn, but I sold my nice heated 49 Black "James Dean Mercury coupe to buy my first an only new car!!! A BRG 53 MG TD. Bare. No heater or even a radio. Oh, well, German stations I was only learning to understand and boring armed forces radio!! Just dress for the weather and all was well. The brief summer was nice for top down driving.

At about the same time, a fellow officer bought a new car. A new 53 Morris mi nor tudor. Very close kin to mine, but his was a hard top and with R & H. Splurge. Well on one or more icy mornings, the Minor would not fire, but the TD did so, we sent to duty in it. No fussing, it ran.

Sometime later I went on a blind date with him and his fraulein. The Minor was the vehicle of choice. Winter and it had a back seat!! Well, that lady and I spent 54 years together here. Well, she passed almost 5 years ago, but we still are together, just in a different way, sorta.

Well, I was working in the shop today. The jaguar was in the drive way, bonnet open.
I needed a power source to diagnose why my daughter's lantern would not turn on.
A pair of guys came by doing JW missionary work. We chatted on subject. then, off topic to the Jaguar. Whn told the power plant was a Cadillac, he ferlt a kinsmanship as a prior Cad owner. Apologies for typo's odd key board results.

Tell bro to hang in there, SIL must have other more redeeming qualities.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (06-15-2014)
Old 06-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
LnrB:

[...]
Tell bro to hang in there, SIL must have other more redeeming qualities.

Carl
Thank you, Carl,

She certainly must have something going, he left his first wife for her.
(';')

Old 06-15-2014, 04:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It just goes to show you how they must treat their other cars. Jags can't be left to sit. I can't wait to get mine back, have to pay the bill first.

LnrB (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 219 Likes on 181 Posts

Or was it the allure and 'prestige' of wanting to own a Jag ?

As you are saying they are not for everyone. Sounds like the wrong car for her,something diesel maybe like a D40. Took mine on gravel roads recently (lost) and although it handled it fairly well it looked like I'd rallied it. Black and gravel don't mix.

Jaguar to most still means 'prestige' along with often heard 'they're not reliable' and cost a fortune in maintenance. Mine as has none of these traits,it's just that I want one.
But you are right,some shouldn't bother with a Jag.

LnrB (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 05:58 AM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Thumbs up to Neil.
I don't care about what people think, I may have my own money pit but it is what it is.I bought it because I just want one.

And if that means time or money,**** happens. When I realise this I will be too old to care!
Some People Shouldn't Be Allowed To Own A Jag-dsc_8992.jpgSome People Shouldn't Be Allowed To Own A Jag-dsc_9245.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by o1xjr:
LnrB (06-15-2014), Mad Matt (06-16-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks, Guys,
I think Neil has hit the true fact; she's always been impressed with appearances.

Clarke, even if there was enough room in their garage, it would be a Very Cold day u-know-where before she allowed actual Greasy Parts anywhere near the house.

I'm glad you all enjoyed the story.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 07-01-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

From the tone of your post you clearly have disdain for your brother, his wife and their lifestyle... When you say things like "Those people" , "Some People", "Rural Montana", "Gravel Roads", you're actively attempting to discredit your family to strangers on the internet with whom you have only a common interest in Jaguars. If you ever hit on really hard times and needed help, would you ask on these forums or would you lean on your brother? Fact is your bother and his wife are right XJ's, XJS' and jaguars of a certain vintage in general are not reliable and often dont start. Generally speaking, rural people, are practical and they expect machines to work because they work and their livelihood usually depends on machines. Have you seen about 1/4 of the posts on the XJS forums lately? Guess What? It's true Jaguars often don't start!!! It's common for people on the Left and Right coasts to have disdain for middle America and their more straight forward values. Your post about your own family shows that clearly. As a city slicker myself, with family in rural places I know we're different but I respect their life style choices.

Any to everyone else piling on "these people", shame on you, they are not here and cant speak to defend themselves.

Last edited by icsamerica; 06-15-2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by icsamerica
From the tone of your post you clearly have disdain for your brother, his wife and their lifestyle... When you say things like "Those people" , "Some People", "Rural Montana", "Gravel Roads", you're actively attempting discrediting your family to strangers on the internet with whom you have only a common interest in Jaguars. If you ever hit on really hard times and needed help, would you ask on these forums or would you lean on your brother? Fact is your bother and his wife are right XJ's, XJS' and jaguars of a certain vintage in general are not reliable and often dont start. Generally speaking, rural people, are practical and they expect machines to work because they work and their livelihood usually depends on machines. Have you seen about 1/4 of the posts on the XJS forums lately? Guess What? It's true Jaguars often don't start!!! It's common for people on the Left and Right coasts to have disdain for middle America and their more straight forward values. Your post about your own family shows that clearly. As a city slicker myself, with family in rural places I know we're different but I respect their life style choices.

Any to everyone else piling on "these people", shame on you, they are not here and cant speak to defend themselves.

Actually, part of what you say here is right on and I accept your reproof with respect. You're absolutely correct that this is not the place for me to discuss the dynamics of my family, and I shouldn't have done so. I apologize to you and any other member(s) I've offended.

To be clear, I do not hold my family in disdain, I'm sorry you saw it that way. I see them for who they are; basically hard working people who sometimes use poor judgement, as I have done on numerous occasions.

If I needed of help however, I would call neither on members of this forum (for anything other than advice regarding my car) nor on my family. I would call on my local friends who are in a better position to know my circumstances and what I might need.

I understand that vintage Jaguars often don't start, but most people treat "high end, classic" cars with more respect than to leave them outside without even a tarp in inclement weather or over a winter if they value the car at all, nor do they beat them up on such roads.

Once again, I apologize for posting this account and I hope we can move on.

Except that I'm not ready to move on yet.

Does it make you feel like a Big Man to yell at me like that? Does it give you great satisfaction to make me back down?

I've been yelled at by bigger men than you are and they didn't hide behind a cryptic screen name, I knew Exactly who they were. They were my FAMILY!!

Up until this afternoon I have held you in high regard as professionally pragmatic and knowing your way around a shop. It turns out you're just another verbally abusive man who likes to throw his weight around. You may indeed know your professional business but your people skills leave a LOT to be desired.

I didn't intend to sound self righteous but I'm Certainly not the only one in this thread with that affliction!
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 06-15-2014 at 08:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LnrB:
icsamerica (06-15-2014), o1xjr (06-18-2014)