XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Stance Thread?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Received 246 Likes on 148 Posts

I usually say what I think.. pisses off a lot of knuckle draggers - not trying to be cool. Just my thoughts..

Old 07-09-2018, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Fine with me. Just venting as well. good for what ails us!

Carl

Old 07-09-2018, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,376 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by alynmurray
Looking Cool ???
Every time I see this nonsense it reminds me of the those kids with their pants down around their knees - and they think they are "cool"... No brains - but cool..
And what is with that pile of iron with the trashed interior (veneer all peeling etc..? Just another example of total confusion ? ) .. maybe add some skinny bicycle tires all around to really get the " knock kneed" look....
Its my opinion, but this is childish stuff - easy to do, requiring no mechanical skill... When I see the bad decisions like this I wonder if the owner also has a degree in suspension engineering, (stressed wheel bearings / spindles / ball joints?? Ackerman effect considerations? - don't worry about it...) . Are we waiting for him and his wonderful pavement dragger to snap / break / come apart in some high speed curve with an innocent person coming the other way ? Looks ridiculous and is plain damn stupid...my 20 cents...So much more to these cars and " trying to look cool" is so infantile and laughable. I call this the " I am bogus look..." These cars have been designed by Jaguar stylists and then redesigned by an Italian design/style studio and then some nitwit with more money than brains decides to restyle the car again by messing with the wheels and ride height. If this is what it takes to look cool,,,,there are probably more important personal issues that will need attention,..ie the irrational need for social acceptance among peers - the Facebook set...Doing these type of mods then driving the car on public roads is irresponsible to other drivers who really do not care if you need to be seen as " looking cool." or not.. Mods such as these should be inspected by state highway safety people.before being allowed on public roads. Falling into this category are the guys with zero experience working on M/C and brake systems, getting their "experience" from a Haynes manual., then test driving it on public roads.

I feel great today!!!
Have you seen the "Exteme Camber" crowd. I think they fit your "facebook set" comments.
I'm sympathetic to your point of view as a matter of principal but as a matter of practice there are few accidents related to this these types of modification as far as I can tell. Then there is the whole freedom / personal responsibilty issue. I wouldn't appreciate a Japanese style Shaken regime pointed at me.
Around here in NYC the "jacked up" truck is popular and poor visibility has lead to a stream of joggers and cyclists being run down. Often the drivers try to blame those run down by saying they were wearing headphones, didnt hear and darted out right in front of the truck.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup, the lifted truck folks A whole other field.

Carl

Old 07-09-2018, 11:00 AM
Received 246 Likes on 148 Posts

I lived in Vancouver CA as a younger man 1970 s) and when I was there, they had a safety inspection that was mandatory every year. No screwing around with suspensions etc. if you wanted to still have plates on the car when the inspector finished the required inspection of various systems. Suspension and brakes were looked at very closely. Any looseness / wear / broken items (shocks etc) and you may have an expensive labor / parts bill on your near horizon. Yes they pull you off the road until repaired to their satisfaction. Makes you realize how expensive "looking cool" can be.. Welcome to reality.. Incidentally they (the government) are also the auto insurers (mandatory government insurance - ahhh the progressives..in that province. Obama care for cars...

Last edited by alynmurray; 07-09-2018 at 11:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
INDYJAG-84 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 05:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just my 2 cents: while there are many classic cars out there which look better with lowering, bigger tires, hood scoops, whatever. In my opinion, Jaguar got it right with the XJ6. I can't think of anything I could do to my series 1 to make it look better.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:52 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh......and one more thing:

Alyn: with a little editing, your rant could easily have come from an old codger in the 50's when "greasers" were souping up old cars. Lighten up, man. There's room for everyone: Jaguar purists and what-the-hell customizers. It's a free country, brother.

89 Jacobra (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alynmurray
Looking Cool ???
Every time I see this nonsense it reminds me of the those kids with their pants down around their knees - and they think they are "cool"... No brains - but cool..
And what is with that pile of iron with the trashed interior (veneer all peeling etc..? Just another example of total confusion ? ) .. maybe add some skinny bicycle tires all around to really get the " knock kneed" look....
Its my opinion, but this is childish stuff - easy to do, requiring no mechanical skill... When I see the bad decisions like this I wonder if the owner also has a degree in suspension engineering, (stressed wheel bearings / spindles / ball joints?? Ackerman effect considerations? - don't worry about it...) . Are we waiting for him and his wonderful pavement dragger to snap / break / come apart in some high speed curve with an innocent person coming the other way ? Looks ridiculous and is plain damn stupid...my 20 cents...So much more to these cars and " trying to look cool" is so infantile and laughable. I call this the " I am bogus look..." These cars have been designed by Jaguar stylists and then redesigned by an Italian design/style studio and then some nitwit with more money than brains decides to restyle the car again by messing with the wheels and ride height. If this is what it takes to look cool,,,,there are probably more important personal issues that will need attention,..ie the irrational need for social acceptance among peers - the Facebook set...Doing these type of mods then driving the car on public roads is irresponsible to other drivers who really do not care if you need to be seen as " looking cool." or not.. Mods such as these should be inspected by state highway safety people.before being allowed on public roads. Falling into this category are the guys with zero experience working on M/C and brake systems, getting their "experience" from a Haynes manual., then test driving it on public roads.

I feel great today!!!
Hey man, if it's not for then it's simply NOT FOR YOU ! To each it's own but no need to bash an individual or group for expressing their creativity. Appreciate it ! Their expressing their art ! That's the problem with today's world. Everyone is so set on trying to fit in and outcast those who want to be different or try something new. Live a little Alyn !

Old 02-18-2019, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magnetron
Here's a bagged jaguar (Lowered) by a full set of €1500 AirLift V2 system: https://brabantcustom.nl/shop/airlif...htdruksysteem/
The whole system and installation costs about €3500 total.

I think it looks amazing!

Where did you find these pictures? I would love to ask the owner what set up did they use for bags.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 415 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Prolix_Argon
I'm wanting to build a custom S3 as well, but I haven't gotten to the suspension and ride height yet (mine is mostly in the hypothetical stage).

My target though is to imitate the Arden XJ

The stuff under the hood would be difficult to duplicate, but the look would be less so.

Check out 1000SEL.com for a few more pictures

Normal I loath black wheels, but on a white car I'm a fan. I haven't seen an Series 1, 2, or 3 with black wheels unless they had steelies and the hubcaps came off.

I have a lowered X350 that is black and also has black wheels and that's a bit much, but contrasting wheel with the car? That's lovely.
Arden nailed it.

yachtmanbuttson (02-20-2019)
Old 08-29-2021, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you possibly show me what you mean by lowering the front suspension because I've been lost for like 4 months now

Old 08-29-2021, 02:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,414 Likes on 5,517 Posts

Originally Posted by Jojosema
Could you possibly show me what you mean by lowering the front suspension because I've been lost for like 4 months now
This is a reference to the "ride height" which means the height at which the car, stationary, stands above the ground. This is most noticeable by looking at gap between the front wheels and the top of the wheelarch.
Without extensive bodywork changes, or extensive suspension modifications, on a factory spec Jaguar of this era, the gap can only be adjusted by altering the length of the front springs. The shorter the spring, the lower the body of the car will be relative to the ground.
At the factory, Jaguar supplied and fitted large round hard-plastic suspension shims each about 3/16ths of an inch thick, which were placed between the springs and the spring pan, to effectively alter the spring length. Thus the factory set the exact ride height to their production specification.
Because of the leverage ratio between the wishbones' total length and the point along that length where the spring actually attaches to it, a shim added gives about a 1/2 inch change in the gap between the tyre and the wheelarch.
Road car ride heights in the era these cars were made were generally higher than is fashionable today. Removing all the spring shims from the car's front suspension will lower the car noticeably, but if that is not low enough, the only alternative is to fit shorter springs.
However, ride comfort is also dependent on suspension travel, as is ground clearance. A shorter spring reduces suspension travel on "bump" (ie the hub can move less far upwards to accommodate going over a bump in the road) before hitting the suspension stop; the ride will also feel harder. Finally, if the car is dropped too low, you run the considerable risk of crashing the front subframe into road irregularities.

Last edited by Greg in France; 08-29-2021 at 02:06 AM.
redtriangle (09-06-2021)
Old 08-29-2021, 06:15 PM
Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

1986 Series 3 with wheels from an X308 (no suspension mods, st

andard height) rims fitted with no issues.