Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steel Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 04:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steel Sunroof

Hi
I'm wrestling with getting my sunroof to operate on my XJC, and having seen a number of other threads on the subject thought it worth publishing these photos..........the motor is in the centre just behind the front windscreen and the wires from the switch on the console run up the LH windscreen pillar. I have yet to find the fuse (I have no power to the motor) but when I do find it I'll post a picture. The large nut by the motor is able to be turned to operate the sunroof manually.

Attached Thumbnails Steel Sunroof-sunroof1.jpg   Steel Sunroof-sunroof2.jpg  
Old 07-25-2017, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

have you tested for dc power at the motor's wires?

if no power at the wires, obviously the problem is before the motor.

if there is power at the wires, (ignition switch on, good battery connected, power to everything else confirmed), then the problem is the motor, most likely the Brushes worn out. The Brushes can be replaced, there is a business that sells a new Brush plate.

if the sunroof panel can be moved open or shut, the sunroof panel is not the problem.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 AM

Hi Jose,
I manually opened/closed the sunroof....all was well. I've then checked for power at the consule switch and actually at the sunroof motor........nothing. I then traced the live feed to the consule switch and found it wasn't connected to anything (This was under the glovebox). After wiring in a temporary supply to this I was able to operate the sunroof ok.
Live feed to consule switch - Red
Feed to sunroof from consule switch: 1x Black, 1 x Green/Yellow.
So now I need to hunt for the supply that the consule switch had been connected to........although this may well be long gone as there have been some other not so subtle mods to the wiring loom!
Cheers

Old 07-25-2017, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member

if the car has power / electric windows, the wiring harness / loom for the power window switches also contains the wires for the sunroof switch. In the Series 3 cars and maybe Series 2, there is a Master On-Off switch which is also known as a "valet switch" and which turns off all power to the windows and sunroof. The wiring for this switch is also in the same loom.

did you say the motor in your XJ-C is located below the front windscreen?? or did you mean the rear?

Old 07-25-2017, 02:56 PM

Hi Jose,
I would be interested to know where the valet switch is, I haven't noticed one yet.......
The motor is located at the front of the cabin, close to the rear view mirror.
Cheers

Old 07-25-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,953 Likes on 5,297 Posts

"Valet" switch, really a master power switch for all windows, is on the switch panel, top row center.

It's a simple ON/OFF Rocker, similar to the window switches, which in your case might be on the OFF position.
(';')

Old 07-25-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

since your car is a XJ-C, it is a Series 2. All Series 3 (1979-1987) have it in the "ski slope" at the center console.

it is located at the top center, between the window switches.

but I do not know if the Series 2 cars had this master switch. Unless Elinor can confirm since she has a Series 2.

Attached Thumbnails Steel Sunroof-xj-prod-chart.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 07-25-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member

duplicate post - no way to delete.

Last edited by Jose; 07-25-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jose
since your car is a XJ-C, it is a Series 2. All Series 3 (1979-1987) have it in the "ski slope" at the center console.

it is located at the top center, between the window switches.
Tsk!! I wasn't very clear about that, was I.
I was thinking Ski Slope, picturing in my mind Ski Slope, and typed Switch Panel.

but I do not know if the Series 2 cars had this master switch. Unless Elinor can confirm since she has a Series 2.
Yes, Jose, my car had a master switch, a simple On/Off rocker highlighted below, but I connected the wires together permanently and now use that switch as a manual compressor switch. (I use it quite a lot actually)

In fact, my ski slope doesn't look like anyone else's S2 as I have 6 switches.
But S3 window switches are smaller by a considerable margin and wouldn't fit into a S2 panel so I don't know what's happened.

The small momentary rocker bottom center is Central Locking on my car.
(';')

Old 07-26-2017, 04:47 PM
Veteran Member

yes Elinor, I see the differences but the ski panel looks the same as in the Series 3 cars.

in my car, the bottom center switch is the Sunroof switch.

the driver's door lock controls all the other door locks.

I too have two more switches that are at the bottom of the ski slope, before the two ashtrays, and those are for the front Seat Heaters which I installed when living in Tennessee because leather can get freezing cold in 20 F winter over there.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member

There is definitely a mix and match of Series 2 and 3 in/on my car.
It's like the PO decided he liked this or that and paid to have them Make It So.

I also have criuse control buttons on the shift tower (no cruise control of course) and the mysterious rocker switch you mention just aft of the left ashtray. It has a 1/4 inch bundle of multicolored wires dangling from it about 2 inches long. I'll leave it there as it's at least good to plug the hole.
(';')

Old 07-27-2017, 05:43 AM
Veteran Member

the mystery button sounds either like a power antenna switch if it always comes back to center by itself from the front or the rear positions.

if it is a 3-position rocker switch, rear-center-front, and the front position springs back to center position, it is a Cruise Control On-Off rocker switch which in the Series 3 is mounted to the top of the shifter tower. (switch number 1)

The Series 3 has three switches to operate the Cruise Control on or off:

1) first you place the rocker switch in the ON/powered, (center) position,

2) then you push the stalk switch SET button to activate it after the car has reached the speed you want to maintain automatically, the SET button is at the end of the blinkers/turn signals stalk lever. (switch number 2)

3) to stop it or turn it OFF temporarily, you step on the brake pedal. (switch number 3)

4) to RESUME from temporary OFF, you press the rocker switch towards the front, and it will spring back to the center position which is ON/powered.

5) to turn it OFF completely, you press the rocker switch to the rear where it will remain.

the way you describe the mystery switch, it sounds exactly like the Cruise Control switch.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Now, I am more confused than usual. The "master switch" on my car remains as built. I thought of it as a "kid" switch. If one had young 'uns riding in the back seat, one could circumvent their messing with the door stuff.

And, yes, a compressor "off" switch is useful. My Jeep has one. Rarely bused. But, as it's "6" isn't a "power" house, it can be valuable. A decade or so ago, my son borrowed my Jeep. He was impressed, other
than "it's AC is lousy". Compressor off? "oh"!!!!

I should go back into the console of my Jaguar. Back up light issue. But, that is way down on the "to do" list.

Fix one of my now two Troy Bilt chippers up next.

Daughter comes later. With lunch. Yum.

Carl

Old 07-27-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Carl,
kid switch, valet switch, master switch, hijack switch, all the same.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:48 PM

Having now opened my eyes, I can confirm I've got a 'valet' switch......in exactly the place described!
I've started removing the headlining however to remove the bar which traps the headlining at the rear of the aperture I need to remove the screws which go through the thin stainless strip which holds the lining, and to access these the metal sunroof panel will need to fully retract beyond its normal most rearward position.....any ideas would be appreciated before I start stripping everything down...

Old 07-28-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

can you post a picture?

when the headliner is removed from the car, the sunroof assembly remains in place, at least in the Series 3 it does.

the pictures you added to the very first post do not open, unless the FBI is interfering with my wifi. My radar keeps popping a FBI Mobile Unit wifi in the area and everybody around here is complaining. Boys!! go arrest McConnel, he's the real enemy!

Gizze (07-30-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 01:55 PM
Old 07-30-2017, 01:59 PM

Hi Jose,
I've posted the photo separately so hopefully it can be seen......it's looking towards the rear of the car from the outside. You can see the stainless steel strip inside the car and the solid sunroof section still maybe 1" inside the aperture but at its furthest point rearwards during normal operation. So as it is I can't get to the screws that hold the stainless strip, as the solid sunroof section is less than an inch above the screw heads.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

then it seems to me that there must be another way of removing whatever it is you are trying to remove, or, it may not be neccesary to remove the stainless strip at all.

I think it will be obvious after you remove the headliner, assuming you are going to be doing that.

it looks as if the car has the vinyl-covered top, correct?

Gizze (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 01:26 AM

Yes that's right, it's got a vinyl top, and from what I can see everything looks original although I'm not sure the electric sunroof was an option from when the car was new. I'll strip the foam insulation off from the rear and take a further look at the rest of the sunroof. Cheers