Sponsored by:

Steering lock removal xj 6 1973

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Steering lock removal xj 6 1973

Hi
I own a special XJ C ; a 1973 lhd chassis no 005 owned the first years by
Browns lane fac . Prototype believed the only LHD in Europe , twin is in Australia , also original a white with everflex roof .
Lost the Keys , is there any way to retreive the key numbers ( ignition and doors )
I never can find a proper discribtion how to remove the steering lock cilinder without damaging other things .

Manythanks ,

dikkelou

Old 02-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Removing Ignition Lock
Alan Howard

Patrick Cherry writes:
My 'main' set of keys to my 1982 California-spec XJ6 was stolen last year. Wife has been using the 'spare' set of keys. Now the 'spare' key is missing in action. Dealer says he 'cannot even get key blanks for something that old' much less cut a key with only the vin. The local locksmith says he can cut a new key if I can bring him the cylinder (or the complete car...but if I could drive the car, I wouldn't be posting this, would I???). Can someone please advise me how to remove the ignition switch assembly? I have dropped the bezel and disconnected the electrics. There are two peened pins where the steering lock part of the ignition switch enters the steering column; do I have to drill those out? Do I have alternatives? TIA, Patrick Cherry
From Alan Howard:
It is quite easy to remove the steering lock. The 2 peened head screws are in fact bolts that had a very narrow machined taper below the head so that when tightening the heads shear off too prevent theft. To undo these screws just use a small chisel and hammer and they will come undone easily, sometimes they are loose already. You may find that with the 2 bolts removed you will not have enough room to pull the lock assembly all the way out. You will have to lower the steering column a small amount. To lower the column look up underneath and you will see 2 bolts that hold the column in place, loosen these bolts as much as possible but do not remove them because there are all sorts of spacers and rubber bushes there to fall out. With these 2 bolts loosened you will just have enough room to withdraw the lock. With the lock out you will see a small Pillips head screw that holds the actual ignition switch onto the back of the lock, remove this and then pull out the switch. Inside the recess where the switch was you will see a paper sticker, the key code is written on this sticker. take this to a locksmith and they will easily and cheaply be able to cut a new key.