Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof in 76 XJ6C

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof in 76 XJ6C

Has e
anybody heard of a factory sunroof installed in a coupe in 1976. I have one and it looks fairly original, but I dont know.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Hi Brian,

I saw a picture of a 1977 blue XJ6C with a sunroof, so I'm guessing it was a factory option. It doesn't seem very common though. It would appear you have fairly rare car. They're gorgeous cars by the way.

Mike

Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

All xj coupes came with vinyl hardtops from the factory according to all records. All-painted hardtops were repainted from the original vinyl at some point during the cars history. Especially the if the sunroof looks good for it's age, it shouldn't.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:39 AM

The vinyl top looks original. The electric motor is what throws me. In my repair manual it shows the motor in the trunk behind the rear seat, but I think that is on the 4 door. Mine is mounted in front of the track on the roof under the headliner. By the way I cant get it open, and I cant find how to manually open it. I will post photos tomorrow. Any help would be great. It is rusty around the edges, so it has been there for a while.

Old 01-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I'm 99% sure that the first true *factory installed* sunroofs were on the Ser III cars...I just haven't had time to search my resources to verify it. Before then all sunroofs were installed after-the-fact by outside companies...although perhaps, in some cases at least, under the auspices of "factory approval".

I might be wrong.

Certainly there were many individual dealers who had sunroofs installed, using local companies. In large metro-areas of the USA that would often have been American Sunroof, a company that was really big in the sunroof business back in the day. I think they even did some of the "factory authorized" sunroof jobs for some manufacturers.

I'll see what I can find out this weekend.

Cheers
DD

Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 AM

Thank you Doug!! Any information would be great.

Is there a way to get the original bill of sale or a list of components that originally came on the car anywhere out there via the vin number?

Old 01-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Totally off-topic but Doug's mention of American Sunroof reminded me. ASC is now a very interesting company that fabricates a lot of custom and factory concept cars along with other projects.

Just one example
In 2004 ASC introduced the Dearborn Deuce Convertible, an all all-steel roadster body redesigned around a fully disappearing top assembly. Built in conjunction with Hot Rods & Horsepower, the car is based on a 1932 Ford roadster body that was redesigned to accommodate the hide-away top. The Deuce was the winner of two awards at the 2004 Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association show—“Best-Engineered Product” and “Best Street-Rod Product” runner-up.
from http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/a/asc/asc.htm
http://www.ascglobal.com/

My guess is that you are dealing with an aftermarket sunroof installation.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No Factory sunroofs in ANY series XJ till S3 in 1981 M.Y.,, standard on US cars since then.(although Jag did make a stripper XJ in 1990-1992 that lost the sunroof, except as a option on that period XJ40) and the normal loaded XJ6 was renamed Sovereign during this time. Until they did a refresh on the XJ40 for 1993 and went back to just XJ6 and VDP. and then added the XJ12..
The last Jag Factory sliding sunroof stopped with the MK9 sedans in 1961. Now, Tons were added by dealers and owners aftermarket... even some of the US distributors like Continental Cars in New Orleans that imported and prepped the cars for JAGUAR at the ports, installed some before they even went to the dealers....Still NOT from the factory...

The following users liked this post:
brianl (01-11-2011)
Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 AM

Thanks, So if I cut it all out and seal up the roof again, is there a linning under the cloth head linner or does that just glue directly onto the metal?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM

Brian, that motor location itself is a giveaway,,, Jag Did place the motor in the trunk on the seat bulkhead of the S3 cars, and drove the sliding panel with cables as did almost all cars of the time. All the aftermarket roofs had the motor mounted on the frame as you mention because it would have been way near impossible to run steel tubes with cables into the trunk to the motor.. that was the sacrifice.. with the aftermarket roofs you lost more headroom because of the frame mounted motor, the OE roofs with the cables allowed more headroom since the motor was in the boot.. And normally there is a round plug in the headliner to remove that gives you access to the motor to manually open and close it with a special tool. or screwdriver, depending on the maker.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 PM

Brian, oh yeah about the headliner,,, the cloth headliner material was glued to a fiberglass composite board that is held in place by the surrounding inside rood trim, not glued to the metal. This was most likly discarded on yours with the SR addition and I would guess you headliner is suspended and not bonded to anything....

The following users liked this post:
brianl (01-13-2011)