XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sunroof switch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sunroof switch?

hello all i'm in the new member section,couple questions,the first one is the sunroof switch,i've had the bride rock the switch while i held test light in wires to motor,oddly the light comes on instantly in BOTH wire connections and then when rocked they go out(testing one wire at a time,unplugged from motor behind rear seat of course),isn't this odd? i would have expected both to be dead then light up when rocked?

second part of the question is,the motor when `hot wired' with a battery charger the roof works great,i expected a reversible type motor as in power windows and it DOES function that way disconnected(crazy!?),studying the Haynes Manual wiring diagrams i'm not seeing a `sun roof' rocker switch near the window switches?

my job(one of them) is to make the sunroof operate,is there a relay/fuse i'm missing that is dedicated to the sunroof only or all inclusive with all power windows?,,but,that doesn't make sense since i have power to all windows and power thru the wires,,possible ground issue?,hmm perhaps i've answered my own question(but i'll post on up anyway)while i do a ground test(and i'm running late today,thank you for any replys!,,,,,Dennis

(also tried the search function before posting,found nothing relative)

Old 03-29-2011, 05:00 PM
Default better clarify my starting part of this post

both wires are`hot' at the same time if the key is on,nobody touching the switch,then when rocked>no power,testing one wire at a time same results,,ok hope it's clear(but i'm confused)

Old 03-29-2011, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

We're talking about a Series III XJ6, yes?

Cheers
DD

Old 03-29-2011, 06:16 PM
Default hello

ok i'm confused there(to many jobs going at once),the Haynes manual shows one switch panel(not the one on this car),and i'm out of time for this project today,plus it's raining and shop is so full i can't get it inside,also canot find the chassis number where tha Haynes manual states on dash or left wing.thought it was a III but since i can't ID the wiring(chassis#) i don't know.

so to suffice=i need a dwink!hahaha,good glass of Fetzer gewerstraminer at 6 PM and i'll be fine,then i can study the manual some more with fly tying glasses.,to many models in one manual/not definitive enough.,,,(sigh) have a great evening!,,dennis

Old 03-29-2011, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by captain bondo
both wires are`hot' at the same time if the key is on,nobody touching the switch,then when rocked>no power,testing one wire at a time same results,,ok hope it's clear(but i'm confused)

We'll assume it's a Ser III

-The black wires at the switch as always *ground*
-The red/slate wires are always * 12v positive* with the key on
-With the switch in the neutral position the green/black and red/black are 12v positive
-When the switch is operated the green/black and red/black will be 12 positive or ground, depending which direction the switch is operated. IOW, if one is voltage the other will be ground.

The switch can be opened up and the contacts cleaned. Just don't lose any of the little parts :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 03-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by captain bondo
ok i'm confused there(to many jobs going at once),the Haynes manual shows one switch panel(not the one on this car),and i'm out of time for this project today,plus it's raining and shop is so full i can't get it inside,also canot find the chassis number where tha Haynes manual states on dash or left wing.thought it was a III but since i can't ID the wiring(chassis#) i don't know.

so to suffice=i need a dwink!hahaha,good glass of Fetzer gewerstraminer at 6 PM and i'll be fine,then i can study the manual some more with fly tying glasses.,to many models in one manual/not definitive enough.,,,(sigh) have a great evening!,,dennis

Forget Haynes on electrical stuff. It's way too condensed/generic.

Give us a pic or the VIN and we can tell you if it's a Ser III

Cheers
DD

Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  19.3 KB

Dennis, so that excellent members with knowledge like Doug can help, you really need to give as much info about the car as possible, model / year / designation etc

Old 03-31-2011, 03:17 PM
Default owners manual states`III'

so that is what i'm going with,i have currently managed to access the back of the switchpanel,unfortunatly the overide switch,well,shall i call it `exploded'?,,and a small spring shot into the left ashtray opening witch oddly enough has a tiny 3 way toggle installed.

yesterday i played painter all day so this car was a `walk by'.

now i'm repairing a rusty section under the spare and while adjusting hood pins(the right dovetail bolt locknut was not tight)=i can't get the right side catch to let go even with a helper holding the handle on the side of the dash,,soooooooo yes i'm having fun all around the vehicle today(this icon reminds me to take my blood pressure medication

thanks all for the info so far!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Default update>

ok i have completed the low budget patch repair in trunk floor,then i reaquainted myself with switch panel; after finally prising it free from console=the switch works,i swapped switches with the rt door switch,it all seems in order powerwise(with test`idiot' light) as well as the old hot rodder method of swap parts and see what happens,my only problem now is=sunroof still does not function.

so looking at fuse panels,nothing is clearly marked but i would suspect any `window switches' would be all inclusive of one fuse anyway?,,

i will state; the over ride switch=i've reassembled it after fetching all components,studying and reassembling,i'm guessing that switch must cut the ground because it doesn't show voltage at any time?,it's also lost a nub initially and now 2 on same side(nubs that hold cases together) so epoxy is on schedule for repair of that.

i laid a heavy coat of seam sealer AKA bear crap on my rust repair panel so i'm going to limit crawling inside trunk area the rest of the day,,vehicle needs to go out tomorrow sometime so i'm going to have to find a fix here,possibly run new wires back to motor?

(thanks again for the replys)dennis

Old 03-31-2011, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member

Power for for sunroof and windows comes from a relay at the extreme right end of the dash. Output voltage from the relay is split into two circuit breakers with half the windows on one breaker and the other windows and sunroof on the other.

So...if any of the windows work the relay is OK. If all the windows work the circuit breakers are OK. If half the windows don't work together with the sunroof....which we know doesn't work....then check the circuit breakers.

The CBs are below the RH fuse panel. There sorta square-ish with red/slate wires. You'll see 'em.

If all the windows work and the sunroof switch is good and the motor works when powered up directly then you probably have an wiring problem between the switch and the motor.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

And don't rush the car !! Jaguars tend to be sensitive to mechanics in a big hurry and get very cross with them !

Old 04-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Default ok

i'm going back on her(the Jag not my wife),,alright i've read thru Doug's posts and yes the`colored' wires are hot,,all switches are fine,motor is fine and i'm getting juice thru to the motor pigtails; why am i still experiencing a non working sliding roof?

all i can figure is somehow i'm not getting a ground thru to motor? ,in fact when i rock the switch it almost seems like i can hear`somthing'(like a relay?) 'in the back' but there's so much road noise i,,?,,i'm not 100% on that.

told the owners dad about the site so it's a good possibility they've joined by now,been busy with other projects but they want her this weekend

sorry for the ramble here,guess i'm trying to get fired up in the cold wind out there to dive back into her,also i should mention this car has a `suncoast' chevy V8 conversion under the hood,no idea if anything from the conversion could be a culprit,,ah yes,gremlins and culprits,perpetrators!

Old 04-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Did you open up the switch and clean the contacts?

Cheers
DD

Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Diagrams available here:
Windows/Sunroof section is Fig 20.1 and 20.2
Series III electrical guide.pdf - Windows Live

The following users liked this post:
introvertimages (04-15-2011)
Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 AM

This is awesome information! Many thanks for sharing.